Sky broadband & asus rt-n66u help please

Associate
I currently have the sky sagem f@st2304, wireless g, modem router which is okay at best.

I have also been using an asus rt-n66u with dd-wrt as a wireless bridge. Connecting to the sky router via wireless and allowing devices to connect by cable. This has all been working fine.

Made the decision to run some cables around the house so as many devices as possible can be directly wired into the router(with the use of a couple of switches).

In theory, this means that I can then use the asus router as the router for wired and wireless devices (as it has gigabit wired connection and dual band wireless n) which is much better than the sky router. It will also enable me to connect a USB hard drive to the network, via socket on the asus router.

The setup that I envisage is that the sky unit simply acts as a modem, I then connect this to the WAN port of the asus router.

Not so simple though, and I'm starting to confuse myself.

Sky modem router has IP address of 192.168.0.1
Asus router WAN IP address is 192.168.0.xx
Asus LAN IP address 192.168.1.1

I then disables the sky router from acting as DHCP server, leaving the asus router to distribute IP addresses. For some unknown reason this then knocked out the Internet connection. I was also then unable to access the web GUI and set it as DHCP server again, meaning I had to reset the device.

Attempted to change the settings on asus router turn off the DHCP server, this again left me unable to access the device and having to reset it.

Finally, I tried to set the asus out as a wireless access point only, but this didn't work either.

Hopefully someone can help and advise as to what I am missing so that I can get this up and running.

Thanks for your time and any assistance offered.

Associate
In the Sagem interface:

Advanced > LAN IP Setup

Untick "Use router as DHCP Server".

Set the static IP of the Sagem to something different but in the same subnet.

Apply.

Then patch in the Asus from the Sagem lan port to the Asus wan port and configure it.

Associate
OP
So, I need to set the ip of the sagem to 192.168.0.xx
Leaving the asus to issue IP addresses on 192.168.1.xx subnet?

Would I still be able to access both devices by use of web GUI?

EDIT: will I also need to disable wireless on the sky router, or can I set the asus to broadcast the same SSID as the sky one?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming that the Sagem isn't capable as acting as a true modem the simplest way to do this is:
  1. Configure the Sagem to use 192.168.0.x as its subnet.
  2. Configure the Asus to use 192.168.1.x as its subnet.
  3. Leave DHCP enabled on them both.
  4. Disable wireless on the Sagem.
  5. Connect the WAN port of the Asus to a LAN port on the Sagem.
  6. Connect all devices to the Asus.
You'll be double NATing, but it should work.

Associate
OP
I was having problems accessing my nas with that setup. Thinking got to the bottom of that though as I had assigned a static ip on the 192.168.0.xx subnet.

The nas is now set to obtain address automatically. I'll give it another go tomorrow so that I don't interrupt wi-if or Internet for my housemates.

If I set the 2.4gz band wifi on the asus router to the sky SSID and use the same network key, does this mean that wireless devices will just work, rather than having to choose the network and type in the password. I can then call the 5ghz band what I like and keep that for myself?

Thanks

Edit: will remote access to my nas (through my dlink cloud) and desktop (via logmein) be affected by the double NAT setup?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was having problems accessing my nas with that setup. Thinking got to the bottom of that though as I had assigned a static ip on the 192.168.0.xx subnet.

That would have stopped you accessing it.

The nas is now set to obtain address automatically. I'll give it another go tomorrow so that I don't interrupt wi-if or Internet for my housemates.

I'd give it a new static ip on the new subnet (or set a dhcp reservation).

If I set the 2.4gz band wifi on the asus router to the sky SSID and use the same network key, does this mean that wireless devices will just work, rather than having to choose the network and type in the password. I can then call the 5ghz band what I like and keep that for myself?

If you use the same wireless settings the clients should just connect without knowing any difference.

Thanks

Edit: will remote access to my nas (through my dlink cloud) and desktop (via logmein) be affected by the double NAT setup?

LogMeIn should be okay as it's effectively an outgoing connection. I don't know about the d-link cloud.

Associate
OP
So far, so good. Haven't tested logmein or remote access to my nas as yet.

Having issues with the asus firmware though. Watching Netflix on my Apple TV, logged onto router with my iPad and the only connected device on the list is my tv!?!?

All devices have been assigned an IP address for the router to issue, I have checked the settings of all connected devices and can confirm that they are all being issued the right IP address. It's just a bit annoying that they aren't showing up on the list.

Associate
OP
Humph, having problems today in that my housemates laptop refuses to connect to the wireless.

For reference, accessing the NAS and using logmein remotely from another network and over 3G was absolutely fine. Worked just as it did before changing things around.

So, this is what I had
Sky router
IP address 192.168.0.1
DHCP off
Disabled wireless

Asus router
WAN IP address 192.168.0.2
LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
DHCP server on
2.4ghz wireless set with exact same SSID and encryption key as per that of the sky router
5ghz wireless set with a different SSID and key.

Sky router connected to WAN socket of Asus
Network switch cabled to LAN socket of asus router
NAS cabled to LAN socket of router

All cabled devices were working perfectly.
Housemates 2 Sony experia phones connected to wifi fine (sky SSID on 2.4ghz band).
My iPhone connected to wifi fine (sky SSID on 2.4ghz band).
My iPad connected to wifi fine (5ghz band).
PS3 connectedt wifi fine (sky SSID on 2.4ghz band).

As I said, remote access and streaming were great. Downloading from the NAS over wifi was MUCH faster than when I was using the sky router. Streaming to smart tv and ps3 without a problem.

The last device in the house is my housemates laptop. It identifies the network with sky SSID, but simply will not connect.

What would cause this? I know the laptop is a few years old, but the asus router has a setting for wireless b&g protection so that these slower devices can still connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom