Sky multi room box

Soldato
Hey guys,

I receive my new sky setup next weekend.

It will be the sky Q hub in the living room, and across the house the sky multi room box in my man cave..

now, my question, there is a Ethernet port on the back, can I output an Ethernet cable from the box, to a switch, and then two connections from the switch , one to my Xbox and the other to my tv..and use the connection wireless to the main sky Q box in the living room?

or is the Ethernet port on the multi room box only for hardwiring the sky Q box to the multi room box?

sorry for the long winded question!

Cheers guys!

Soldato
Sky Q mini is a client device, the RJ45 on the rear is for connecting it to the network, not redistributing its wireless connection. You still need a feed from the router to the switch. Q actually uses a hidden wireless network to connect back to the main box, but obviously wired is better.

Soldato
OP
Sky Q mini is a client device, the RJ45 on the rear is for connecting it to the network, not redistributing its wireless connection. You still need a feed from the router to the switch. Q actually uses a hidden wireless network to connect back to the main box, but obviously wired is better.

so it won’t work?? Will I deffo need to connect wireless from the mini box, even though they will be like... 2 feet away?

Soldato
If I read your question correctly, you want to connect a Sky Q hub in the living room and a mini box in the man cave, you want to connect the mini to a switch along with some other client devices and re-share a wireless backhaul from the mini. This will not work. Non of the devices you mention can do that, you need to connect the switch to the rest of the network either by running an ethernet cable, a wireless bridge or power line etc. The only thing your three devices will be able to do otherwise is talk to each other.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I thought I could go wireless from the sky Q to mini box , then Ethernet to my Xbox and TV.

I only wondered as when I had my BT internet, I had my pc hardwired to one of the booster dishes and that connected wirelessly to the smart hub downstairs.

Back
Top Bottom