*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Has anyone had any issues with Netflix through the Sky Q box?

I watched i,Tonya last night and the horizontal panning was absolutely awful! It was constantly juddering to the point where some scenes was practically unwatchable.

This morning I thought I'd see if the native Netflix app on my Sony TV had the same issue and as far as I can see it's fine! (although I obviously didn't watch the whole thing again!)

Anyone else experienced any quality issues with the app within Sky Q?

Soldato
Actually they do have an online chat but its not for every service....
The other day I wanted to renew my subscription so just went to the "want to cancel sky option".
It gave me a chat option.

But when I tried to just do an account enquiry it came up with other options (I think!)

Log into your account and into the help section and see where the selections take you.

Associate
For what it's worth, I had my main Q box swapped last week, support was great but it took a couple of attempts.

I called when the box was coming up with an intermittent "technical fault" message on all boxes that would last around 10 seconds and then back to normal. I use a wired connection between boxes, the first person I spoke with (after being in a queue for around 1 hour (understandable given the current climate) the guy that answered was working from home!). He asked me to change the Wi-Fi channel (36 to 40) even though I explained it was a wired connection (apparently it can still have an impact, first I've heard of it?). I also pointed out that it was the main box also having issues and was not through on demand content, if it were just the mini boxes then network connectivity would be an obvious issue. The advice I was given was to move all boxes away from anything that would create electrical noise (already done) and when the fault happens again to turn off my router and then all Sky boxes even if I'm watching content coming in via the dish - I did point out that the internet connection was stable and that I wasn't willing to turn my router off and back on again due to sync speed SNR issues - as it was my Sky connection speed apparently would not be compromised(!).

A few days later the technical fault error returned and stayed on, I rebooted boxes, 12 hours later the fault was still present. I phoned the Sky helpline and explained the whole situation again, the person was familiar with the fault and couldn't understand why the previous person had given that advice as it was clearly a fault with the main box. I explained I was happy to do a self install if they could get me the box, an engineer was in the area, he called him (with me on hold) to see if he had a spare box he could drop off, the answer was yes and the engineer would be in contact shortly. 1 hour later the engineer called to say he was 10 minutes away, I took out the old box, and exchanged for the new. He scanned the barcode on the cardboard box to link that box with my account. I had to set the box up on another TV, which made the process simpler as it had a mini box on it already and wired network connectivity simplified things further (much to his delight), he checked everything, going through the menu through the window, once it was all working, remote linked and mini box connected he said it was all good to go and I could move the box to another room. I have cabled the house so connecting to the dish wasn't an issue from either room.

Just goes to show how customer service levels can vary hugely, as I suppose is the same across all industries. The wait times, an inconvenience but it is the same everywhere right now and anyone who complains about that is incredibly narrow minded.

Soldato
My Devolo 1gbps powelines are out for delivery today, will have a go at setting them up when they do, one on the main skybb box and the other on my mini box in the bedroom that’s been losing connection 50% of the time

Soldato
:cool: You're very welcome iMacMart, please keep us updated how you get on, homeplugs can be hit and miss and I will be honest I have gone through several variants/makes, but these Devolo's are solid. Hope they work for you.
Morning!

My Devolo dLAN 1000 duo+ arrived, the code isn't scanning so I can't add them on the IOS app? They are listed as compatible in the list though? Art no: 08111

Soldato
@MissChief could I ask you a question please, if I have my main 2tb box connected to a Powerline via Ethernet but I want to also leave the WiFi enabled as it connects to the in-laws SkyQ mini in the next room, does it default back to the WiFi connect after a period of time? As I’d like the default connection to be the LAN but also allow it to connect to the SkyQ mini by WiFi .... hope this makes sense! Many thanks

Caporegime
@MissChief could I ask you a question please, if I have my main 2tb box connected to a Powerline via Ethernet but I want to also leave the WiFi enabled as it connects to the in-laws SkyQ mini in the next room, does it default back to the WiFi connect after a period of time? As I’d like the default connection to be the LAN but also allow it to connect to the SkyQ mini by WiFi .... hope this makes sense! Many thanks
Now that I've been unsuspended, the Wi-Fi hotspot ability should remain (assuming you have Sky Broadband) but the boxes should remain connected via Ethernet (as that's what the boxes see the powerline as, they don't know you're using powerline)

Soldato
Now that I've been unsuspended, the Wi-Fi hotspot ability should remain (assuming you have Sky Broadband) but the boxes should remain connected via Ethernet (as that's what the boxes see the powerline as, they don't know you're using powerline)
Oh glad your back, so in practice Ethernet should be default and mesh will still connect to the mini? I’m planning on powerlines for all the devices to be fair and disabling all WiFi and keeping my Ubiquiti APs as the internet... thanks for the response though!!!!

Soldato
Odd so I setup the 2tb main SkyQ box to work on the Powerline this morning (didn’t disable the WiFi due to the in-laws mini box next door) and I’ve just checked and it’s defaulted back to the WiFi again?

Soldato
Been reading up on the new packages & what's included in each one.
Am I correct in thinking now you don't have to take multiroom to get UHD access?

When I last renewed my subscription back in June 2019 I had to take multiroom, even though I don't have a 2nd box to able able to access UHD

If this is now the case, what's the chances of being able to phone up & get it changed mid contract?

Soldato
Been reading up on the new packages & what's included in each one.
Am I correct in thinking now you don't have to take multiroom to get UHD access?

When I last renewed my subscription back in June 2019 I had to take multiroom, even though I don't have a 2nd box to able able to access UHD

If this is now the case, what's the chances of being able to phone up & get it changed mid contract?

Multiroom no longer required - although by the time you add HD packs and UHD packs you don't save a "massive" amount.
Chances of a mid-contract change that reduces your bill? Two hopes and one of them is Bob.

Soldato
I have the old 1tb box, at the time we got it the person on the call with my wife said the only difference was storage and the ability to record more things at once....

Fast forward a few years and now I need another box for a 4K telly, is it just a straight swap hardware wise or do we need an engineer? Obviously right now I’m hoping it’s just plug and play apart from the subscription changes.

Soldato
I have the old 1tb box, at the time we got it the person on the call with my wife said the only difference was storage and the ability to record more things at once....

Fast forward a few years and now I need another box for a 4K telly, is it just a straight swap hardware wise or do we need an engineer? Obviously right now I’m hoping it’s just plug and play apart from the subscription changes.

Nope new LNB needs to be fitted too, you mention another box if that's the case the technician will change both boxes and the "main" box will be with the 4k tv. The other box will then be a mini box as the mini is 1080p only.

To be frank UHD on sky doesn't really give any wow factor above 1080p due to its output with no HDR and only 8bit colour. Netflix or Amazon blow it out of the water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom