*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
I have the sky fibre BB with Q hub and its fine, if you have the Q tv and mini q boxes they act as WiFi extenders. Most BB providers apart from Virgin use the same Openreach network so they should all be similar. It really comes down the the hub you are provided with

Thanks.

Do Sky use the copper line for phone call or is it VOIP over the G.Fast Openreach network?

How good is the customer support?

Can you use different routers?

Soldato
Its still the copper line as far as I know.

Recently support has been difficult to get through to due to less staff and some working from home. Normally its OK.

Not sure about a different router.

Soldato
G.Fast Openreach network?

Be very careful of G.Fast, it's not a fantastic product. When it works properly then it's fine but when it doesn't (and it often doesn't) then it often gives poor speeds and the connection drops frquently. Personally I wouldn't even bother with it and would stick with VDSL instead.

There's a few threads in the networking forum where it's discussed, it might be worth having a search there.

You can use other routers with Sky but the 3rd party router must support DHCP option 61 otherwise known as MER.

Associate
Its still the copper line as far as I know.

Recently support has been difficult to get through to due to less staff and some working from home. Normally its OK.

Not sure about a different router.

I notice with some providers it is only VOIP in small print, so no internet no phone.

Associate
Be very careful of G.Fast, it's not a fantastic product. When it works properly then it's fine but when it doesn't (and it often doesn't) then it often gives poor speeds and the connection drops frquently. Personally I wouldn't even bother with it and would stick with VDSL instead.

There's a few threads in the networking forum where it's discussed, it might be worth having a search there.

You can use other routers with Sky but the 3rd party router must support DHCP option 61 otherwise known as MER.

Thanks will do

Soldato
Sky are doing SOGEA so it’s VoIP with g.fast, they supply a Sky SR203, it’s OK but nothing special, you plug your phone into the back and yes, if power fails you loose landline facilities, given everyone has a mobile it’s hardly a massive issue - you have the same result in a power cut with cordless phones.

As to not trying something because it may not work, that’s just silly. OR and ISP’s have no interest in selling products that result in abnormally high faults/customer complaints as it inevitably costs them money and customer churn/reputation damage. I have g.fast, I had initial issues (BT’s fault), I kept pushing BT/OR, got not one but two deadlock letters till BT eventually did a massive (and expensive) u-turn, service was fine for over 18 months, switched to Sky, it’s been fine for as long as I’ve been with them. If you want to run your own router, it’s DHCP option 60/61 support that’s needed, it’s not MER and ignore anyone who mentions wireshark, they are talking about a process that hasn’t been required in ages.

To use your own router, you need a g.fast modem. They don’t fetch quite what they used to 18 months ago, but they still usually do over £100 on eBay.

Associate
Sky are doing SOGEA so it’s VoIP with g.fast, they supply a Sky SR203, it’s OK but nothing special, you plug your phone into the back and yes, if power fails you loose landline facilities, given everyone has a mobile it’s hardly a massive issue - you have the same result in a power cut with cordless phones.

As to not trying something because it may not work, that’s just silly. OR and ISP’s have no interest in selling products that result in abnormally high faults/customer complaints as it inevitably costs them money and customer churn/reputation damage. I have g.fast, I had initial issues (BT’s fault), I kept pushing BT/OR, got not one but two deadlock letters till BT eventually did a massive (and expensive) u-turn, service was fine for over 18 months, switched to Sky, it’s been fine for as long as I’ve been with them. If you want to run your own router, it’s DHCP option 60/61 support that’s needed, it’s not MER and ignore anyone who mentions wireshark, they are talking about a process that hasn’t been required in ages.

To use your own router, you need a g.fast modem. They don’t fetch quite what they used to 18 months ago, but they still usually do over £100 on eBay.

Thanks

I do have a hardwired phone plugin just in case of power cuts (not seen one in a few years), but as you said we all have mobiles now.

Soldato
Just had the email through stating that I can upgrade to an HDR enabled box. The £50 charge still stands. I called up to see if it can be waived because when I signed up for Sky Q originally it was never stated there’d be an additional charge for a feature that is typically part and parcel of ‘4K’ and that subsequent boxes have the capability so it doesn’t sit well with me.
The people I spoke to outright refused and said it’s an equipment upgrade so ‘tough ****’ basically. The whole experience was pretty rude and stand-off. Still seems really naff that I should pay for something that is a Sky issue. Why’s it my problem and why should I foot the bill for it? Particularly as you’re renting the equipment too and it does not cost that much to send something that size...

Soldato
Just had the email through stating that I can upgrade to an HDR enabled box. The £50 charge still stands. I called up to see if it can be waived because when I signed up for Sky Q originally it was never stated there’d be an additional charge for a feature that is typically part and parcel of ‘4K’ and that subsequent boxes have the capability so it doesn’t sit well with me.
The people I spoke to outright refused and said it’s an equipment upgrade so ‘tough ****’ basically. The whole experience was pretty rude and stand-off. Still seems really naff that I should pay for something that is a Sky issue. Why’s it my problem and why should I foot the bill for it? Particularly as you’re renting the equipment too and it does not cost that much to send something that size...
This is insane. Can you just pretend there's an issue with the box, get an engineer around and they replace it with an HDR box?

Soldato
Yeah, guess that’s an option. But you have to pay for that don’t you?
Nope, the boxes are rented so it's Sky's responsibility if the box has issues.

We've had engineers out 5 or 6 times to replace mini boxes, reroute the cabling, move the dish and change the main box (to HDR). All free.

Soldato
Nope, the boxes are rented so it's Sky's responsibility if the box has issues.

We've had engineers out 5 or 6 times to replace mini boxes, reroute the cabling, move the dish and change the main box (to HDR). All free.
Fair enough, sounds like my next step then. Thanks mate! :)

Soldato

To play devils advocate - you purchased a 4k service from Sky, you didn't purchase a 4k/HDR service from Sky.
Now, if they had promised HDR and subsequently promised no additional cost then you've got a good argument, but they didn't.
Certainly when I signed up for Q there was no official mention of HDR at all.

The idea that 4k & HDR are "arm in arm" features just isn't true. One without the other really isn't that uncommon.

Soldato
To play devils advocate - you purchased a 4k service from Sky, you didn't purchase a 4k/HDR service from Sky.
Now, if they had promised HDR and subsequently promised no additional cost then you've got a good argument, but they didn't.
Certainly when I signed up for Q there was no official mention of HDR at all.

The idea that 4k & HDR are "arm in arm" features just isn't true. One without the other really isn't that uncommon.
I see your point, I guess for me, I see it as being that they’ve been working on it and promising it for years and because it’s taken so long equipment they thought was fit for that purpose wasn’t.
Either way, I’m still not sure why £50 is the charge for sending out a box, me plugging it in and me sending the other back. It’s a rental agreement.

Soldato
I see your point, I guess for me, I see it as being that they’ve been working on it and promising it for years and because it’s taken so long equipment they thought was fit for that purpose wasn’t.
Either way, I’m still not sure why £50 is the charge for sending out a box, me plugging it in and me sending the other back. It’s a rental agreement.

No they send the box via a courier who contacts you before hand it's then a doorstep exchange for your old box, remote and HDMI cable whilst you keep the viewing card. I'm guessing the charge is for a 2 way courier insured service with a re packing fee.

Soldato
Hmmm, well. Even that would cost £10-£20 from personal experience. Sky being Sky with the money I suppose.

The mistake you are making is looking for a direct cost base. Sky are a business who’s primary goal is to make money. They have a direct cost for the new box, it’s ongoing development and support as well as getting it to you and the old one back. If you wait long enough, then it eventually gets cheaper, but it’s still a new (to Sky) feature.

Back
Top Bottom