*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Just had the email through stating that I can upgrade to an HDR enabled box. The £50 charge still stands. I called up to see if it can be waived because when I signed up for Sky Q originally it was never stated there’d be an additional charge for a feature that is typically part and parcel of ‘4K’ and that subsequent boxes have the capability so it doesn’t sit well with me.
The people I spoke to outright refused and said it’s an equipment upgrade so ‘tough ****’ basically. The whole experience was pretty rude and stand-off. Still seems really naff that I should pay for something that is a Sky issue. Why’s it my problem and why should I foot the bill for it? Particularly as you’re renting the equipment too and it does not cost that much to send something that size...

I've just paid it as I can't be bothered arguing. Yes it should be free, especially as those affected are the early adopters who've had Q since the beginning.

The way I see it, the £50 doesn't just give me HDR but also a new box which is welcome. Whilst nowhere near as a shaky as it was at the start, my box is still a little flaky at times which I suspect is down to the early hardware.

Soldato
I've just paid it as I can't be bothered arguing. Yes it should be free, especially as those affected are the early adopters who've had Q since the beginning.

The way I see it, the £50 doesn't just give me HDR but also a new box which is welcome. Whilst nowhere near as a shaky as it was at the start, my box is still a little flaky at times which I suspect is down to the early hardware.
If the box is shaky, ask for a new one. It's not yours, after all.

Soldato
If the box is shaky, ask for a new one. It's not yours, after all.

Maybe I should have done earlier but if I do now I fully expect they'll just say I'm trying to get an HDR one for free, especially as I registered for the replacement.

Just can't be doing with the hassle of endless arguing to try to get one cheaper or free. A one-off £50 isn't much in the scheme of things really.

Caporegime
Maybe I should have done earlier but if I do now I fully expect they'll just say I'm trying to get an HDR one for free, especially as I registered for the replacement.

Just can't be doing with the hassle of endless arguing to try to get one cheaper or free. A one-off £50 isn't much in the scheme of things really.
Plus losing your recordings can be a real pain too.

Soldato

Can you see the order yet in your account @ sky.com? I clicked the button last Wednesday night and still nothing...

Soldato

Maybe, maybe not. It's crazy not to try, though. For us it was one <5min web chat and we had an engineer booked. I don't see why anyone should put up with sub standard hardware when it's being rented.

Soldato
So after speaking with sky chat tonight it seems there was an error on the site which effected my order and I dare say others as such my order was not processed and won't be until I speak with "the TV team" to which I can't be bothered.

Just had a text from them to say my box is "on its way" and the courier will be in touch.

I thought from previous comments that it'd be a doorstep swap but it looks like they're just sending the new one out first, unless of course the courier now contacts me to arrange the swap?

Soldato
Just had a text from them to say my box is "on its way" and the courier will be in touch.

I thought from previous comments that it'd be a doorstep swap but it looks like they're just sending the new one out first, unless of course the courier now contacts me to arrange the swap?

Well Sky are being their usual useless selves it seems.

Had no further communication about delivery but I can now see the order in my account.

This says expected delivery is tomorrow and then details that, before delivery, I should disconnect my old box and remove the viewing card and that the courier will then want to take this away with them.

Well if they're not going to give me any further information about delivery other than it's "expected tomorrow" then I'm certainly not disconnecting my current box and going without TV for the whole day just in case.
If the delivery does just show up at some point then he can damn well wait while I disconnect the box.

Soldato
Delivery is now tomorrow (actually today as I notice it's just past midnight lol) so they were getting a bit ahead of themselves.

They say I'll get a one-hour slot with DPD so, if true, I can at least time disconnecting the old box just before the slot to minimise disruption. I'm WFH but have CNN on in the background pretty much all day.

Soldato
Right so new box just delivered and I've discovered it came with a bog standard non-touch remote.

What the hell? So I've forked out £50 for a new box and I've lost my touch remote in the process?

Now I can't even find a ******* phone number to call Sky on. Steaming right now!

Soldato
Right so new box just delivered and I've discovered it came with a bog standard non-touch remote.

What the hell? So I've forked out £50 for a new box and I've lost my touch remote in the process?

Now I can't even find a ******* phone number to call Sky on. Steaming right now!

The Touch remote is rubbish anyway, I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Soldato

The new Bluetooth remotes have done away with the touch. It doesn't work too well on the updated ui anyway

Soldato
The new Bluetooth remotes have done away with the touch. It doesn't work too well on the updated ui anyway

Yeah I discovered this after some searching.

Ok so I haven't be swizzed as such but still gutted I've lost the old touch remote as I really liked it.

Oh well, the box itself is up and running, no issues, HDR working too. It's a LOT snappier than the old box too.

Just updating it as it came with Q110 rather than the new Q120, then will check the mini boxes are connecting.

Back
Top Bottom