*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah I discovered this after some searching.

Ok so I haven't be swizzed as such but still gutted I've lost the old touch remote as I really liked it.

Oh well, the box itself is up and running, no issues, HDR working too. It's a LOT snappier than the old box too.

Just updating it as it came with Q110 rather than the new Q120, then will check the mini boxes are connecting.

I got the replacement box today too, I originally had two remotes with my box a standard and a touch when I saw it was a standard I kept the touch remote. Dunno why thinking about it as I have a harmony anyway.

Soldato
I got the replacement box today too, I originally had two remotes with my box a standard and a touch when I saw it was a standard I kept the touch remote. Dunno why thinking about it as I have a harmony anyway.

I briefly thought about doing the same but worried that Sky might see I hadn't returned everything and bill me so just returned it.

EDIT: Actually you're right, it originally came with a basic remote too, no idea where that one is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've just had the email inviting me to upgrade to HDR. Given the £50 fee and the lack of channels I think I will give it a miss for now.

Associate
Just got a good deal with Sky for a Sky Q upgrade along with Sky WiFi boost and Super Fast deal. Got some questions:

1) Is boost really worth it? Not sure what it really does except always monitor line for faults? That sounds good though
2) Can the Sky Q box use same 2 satellite cables I currently have plugged into back of my Sky HD+ box? I have them trunked etc so ideally want to keep them as is.
3) Is the Sky Hub 2019 worth using over the Sky Q hub router I got in 2016? I really dislike fact new router has a vertical design!

Caporegime
Just got a good deal with Sky for a Sky Q upgrade along with Sky WiFi boost and Super Fast deal. Got some questions:

1) Is boost really worth it? Not sure what it really does except always monitor line for faults? That sounds good though
2) Can the Sky Q box use same 2 satellite cables I currently have plugged into back of my Sky HD+ box? I have them trunked etc so ideally want to keep them as is.
3) Is the Sky Hub 2019 worth using over the Sky Q hub router I got in 2016? I really dislike fact new router has a vertical design!
It also gives higher priority on visits and allows a booster to be sent out if you don’t get WiFi in every room.
Yes, but if they’re old the engineer may not be happy using them. The dish may need changed anyway.
Yes, I’d say so. Better coverage and a stronger signal.

Soldato
I'm still really not liking the updated UI on the Q boxes. Quite why it's been made so easy to delete the wrong episode is beyond me.

To me it's logical that if I watch an episode of something then I may want to delete it. There's a handy delete option there when you back out of a program but for some bizarre reason that delete option isn't for the episode yoiu've just watched, it's for the next episode in the series.

Three time last night alone I deleted the wrong episode and had to recover it. I thought I'd got used to it but apparently not.

Associate
I'm not enjoying the new UI that much either. You're not offered programs in chronological order, guess that's the same issue as you deleting the wrong episode, but also why does it take 5 seconds to delete a program sometimes.

Plus I have to power cycle the box about once a week. It usually crashes while I'm recording something which is doubly frustrating.

Man of Honour
It annoys me that there doesn't seem to be a seamless way to watch a series on your Q and mini boxes in succession if the one on the Q box is 4k. You end up having to then download the HD version for the mini box and try and remember where you got to when you go back onto the Q box.

Soldato
Before I pull what's left of my hair out more am I right in thinking you can't block individual channels on Sky ? The parent controls seem to allow age group settings but not blocking individual channels.

Some of the Disney shows are teaching my kids to be "sassy" which is code for rude and talking back. I'd like to remove some of them from their TV diet but can't work out how.

Caporegime
Before I pull what's left of my hair out more am I right in thinking you can't block individual channels on Sky ? The parent controls seem to allow age group settings but not blocking individual channels.

Some of the Disney shows are teaching my kids to be "sassy" which is code for rude and talking back. I'd like to remove some of them from their TV diet but can't work out how.
You can get the kids pack removed?

Soldato
I thought Sky Q was excellent. Used wired connections on all mini boxes. Sadly Virgin took over here because of thier fast broadband speeds and better prices on the horrid Tivo boxes. Price wins and definitely 1gb broadband (sky was max 74 Meg here). Sad to see SkyQ go, been with sky for 25 years

Soldato
I thought Sky Q was excellent. Used wired connections on all mini boxes. Sadly Virgin took over here because of thier fast broadband speeds and better prices on the horrid Tivo boxes. Price wins and definitely 1gb broadband (sky was max 74 Meg here). Sad to see SkyQ go, been with sky for 25 years
This is my worry, when Virgin finish installing the cables I'm thinking of jumping ship because my broadband is so flaky, somedays don't get above 2meg due to noise on the line, Openreach have replaced everything they claim but I've had the issues since I first went with broadband some 12 or so years ago.

I'm going to miss Sky tv as it's so much better than the Virgin boxes (my dad has them and I just cannot get used to them), the GUI is so much more user friendly on Sky and the mini Q boxes are really handy

Back
Top Bottom