*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Mobster
Soldato
This is why I won't upgrade to Sky Q, just too many issues that seem to come up for people.

Frankly I use Sky to watch TV, I have a smart TV with apps built in that works just great (LG software is good IMHO) for online services and that works fine for me.

It's not like a computer or a phone, it's still the same channels coming in at the end of the day.

Soldato
What’s the quality of sports on the Now TV app like now? It’s used to be a pixel mess a few years ago, have things improved?

Yes, it's HD now. You buy the HD upgrade separately for £3/month and it applies to all content. I wouldn't have Now TV without the HD pass.

I very rarely watch sports so generally buy a weeks pass if there's stuff coming up that I'll want to watch, maybe even a day pass if it's the only thing I'm interested in that week. Take the summer as an example, there's nothing I want to watch so I pay... Nothing. :)

Man of Honour
I’m fast considering this route myself. Just have to work out what to replace the Q box with for normal tele watching and recording.

Soldato
I’m fast considering this route myself. Just have to work out what to replace the Q box with for normal tele watching and recording.

I use a BT box as I have services from them anyway, so I do all my Now TV subscriptions via my BT account. There will no doubt be other options, but we're probably veering off topic now. I think there's a dedicated thread for this somewhere. I'll try to find it and link you to it (I'd be interested in the various options myself).

Associate
That sounds like a problem with your equipment TBH, what tv/receiver do you have?
It ain't the receiver, or the TV, believe me. I know how to wire these things up. Like I said, I've tried bypassing the receiver and had the Q box attached directly to a Panasonic GX800, a Samsung NU7400, and an LG C9 OLED and the problem occurs with them all. I've tried using the supplied Sky HDMI cable, I've tried faster HDMI cables, and nothing works. The Pioneer VSX-S520 receiver works flawlessly with every other bit of AV kit attached to it - Amazon 4K Firestick, Apple TV 4K, Manhattan T3-R PVR, Panasonic UB450 4K Blu-Ray player, etc, etc.
The only bit of kit that does not function properly is the Sky Q box. Fact.

Soldato
It ain't the receiver, or the TV, believe me. I know how to wire these things up. Like I said, I've tried bypassing the receiver and had the Q box attached directly to a Panasonic GX800, a Samsung NU7400, and an LG C9 OLED and the problem occurs with them all. I've tried using the supplied Sky HDMI cable, I've tried faster HDMI cables, and nothing works. The Pioneer VSX-S520 receiver works flawlessly with every other bit of AV kit attached to it - Amazon 4K Firestick, Apple TV 4K, Manhattan T3-R PVR, Panasonic UB450 4K Blu-Ray player, etc, etc.
The only bit of kit that does not function properly is the Sky Q box. Fact.
I haven’t had any of the problems you are having on my GZ2000, and i have found myself using the inbuilt apps on skyQ(especially Amazon prime) a bit more over my Apple TV as all Panasonic’s have an inherent 24hz frame skip/stutter, so if I can see the 24hz stutter I would have picked up any stuttering on the SkyQ box

Associate
I haven’t had any of the problems you are having on my GZ2000, and i have found myself using the inbuilt apps(especially Amazon prime) a bit more over my Apple TV as all Panasonic’s have an inherent 24hz frame skip/stutter, so if I can see the 24hz stutter I would have picked up any stuttering on the SkyQ box
The 24hz thing is very well known about and is much more subtle than what happens with Sky Q so you'd definitely know if your box suffered from it. You're clearly one of the lucky ones who have a box from batch with better components, as there are clearly hundreds, if not thousands of dodgy boxes out there, judging by the ever increasing numbers of people who complain about the drop-outs.

Soldato
The 24hz thing is very well known about and is much more subtle than what happens with Sky Q so you'd definitely know if your box suffered from it. You're clearly one of the lucky ones who have a box from batch with better components, as there are clearly hundreds, if not thousands of dodgy boxes out there, judging by the ever increasing numbers of people who complain about the drop-outs.
Your not on about the audio cut out when watching UHD football are you?

Associate
Your not on about the audio cut out when watching UHD football are you?
Nope. This is a different issue. The UHD Atmos audio issue on football was identified as a broadcast issue. The drop-outs I and many others experience are entirely random and can occur on any recorded or downloaded content in any resolution. It can also occur whilst using the Netflix, Prime & Disney+ apps on the Q box.

Soldato
I’ve had the V2 box for a while now and experience no issues with sound or stutter (though TV handles stutter very well).
The only issue I have now and then is the box dropping off the WiFi now and then for no apparent reason, which requires a reboot to sort it, annoyingly.

Anybody know how you can reboot the Q box without pulling the plug?

Associate
Hi all, trying to reduce Sky costs, in contract for somethings but others were removable, e.g. Sky Cinema.

No fight from them to remove them, are they playing hardball or will they come back nearer to the 31 days with an offer?

Last edited:
Associate
I have been Paying £44 a month for sky sports entertainment and sky sports
but it was becoming too much money to spend, so today after 10 years with Sky I have cancelled my account.

He offered me 25% off but that is still too expensive.

I was surprised that the man was not really that bothered and didn't do much to convince me to stay with them.

Any of you cancelled sky before?
I cancelled once and couldn't get rid of the damn guy

Caporegime
I’ve had very few issues with my Q equipment tbh. Like many I’ve had the odd issue here and there but 99% of the time it just works, and no sound drop outs either. Although my Amazon Prime app on my mini box does stutter occasionally. My main box is hard wired, single mini and booster wireless.

Associate
The main thing with Sky is that if you like Sports there's not many other ways to get the amount of content they offer - I managed to negotiate the full package (Sky Q, Sports, Cinema, Multiroom, Kids, Signature, Catch up, box sets, HD and 4k etc.) for 42 quid month (gone up to 45 now though due to the recent price increase).

Had to cancel to get this though, was only being offered 60 odd quid without putting in notice to leave.

Soldato
So, sent Sky a cancellation email on 5th March for tv and phone broadband. A few days later got a confirmation email and advised I would receive a phone call to confirm etc. Few days later got the call talked thru it all and confirmed cancellation. Fast forward and now have Virgin Ultimate Oomph package and all good. A couple of days ago I receive return packaging for Sky Q Hub, only its obviously for the Sky Q Tv box as its too big for the much smaller router. Phone Sky to inform them and they tell me its for the Sky Q Hub router and that my Tv account is still active (my broadband/phone was separate package). Then a long conversation about me not cancelling the tv package, only the broadband etc. Honestly what a bunch of muppets, then he confirms they've taken £110.50 for the next payment. So he asks me when I phoned in to cancel and I tell him about the email and read it out to him and their reply email confirming, giving dates and times. He then puts me on hold for 10 min and comes back on all apologetic and eats humble pie, apologizes, cancels my account/refund £110.50 and will send out proper packaging for equipment. To be fair the guy was very nice and helpful but how might this have gone without those emails.

Soldato
I just renewed my sky while I still had 6 months left on the contract and also took multi room off for free. While the first person on live chat was useless and I think couldn't be bothered as couldn't do me a better deal and said would cost to remove multi room... I then tried again later on and managed to get a fairly good deal.

I got the full package including everything (except kids and multitoom) so has Netflix, HD, UHD, movies sports etc. Plus I took their max 145mb broadband as my Vodafone ends in 3 weeks. Managed to snag it all for £80 on another 18 month contract.

Had it before on the phone as well. Just luck of the draw really on who you get.

For reference though was told they changed all their t&C's now, so if you see a better deal you like, you can recontact yourself for another 18 months. Even if you were only 2 months into it and would save you a fair whack, you don't need to wait for things to run out.

Associate
Cancelled sky tv today giving my 30 days notice how long before they normally e mail me sending me offers to stay?

They said the best offer they could do was £72 a month for the full tv package, i've seen plenty of people getting better offers than that. On these forums. Before i was paying £63 and that seemed expensive compared to other people's deals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom