*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Thank you. Will try FB or live chat then. Have been emailing for few days now. Every time they respond back after 2 days saying below:

I understand from your e-mail that you wish to discuss regarding the Sky Services.

I am unable to call you at this moment as we are out of calling window and in order to help you with your query I need you over a call to access your Sky Account.

Hence, I request you to reply to my e-mail with a preferred date and time between 9am and 8pm so that I can call and assist you accordingly.

The things is, I keep giving them my contact number and dates and times I am free, but this is the response I get after 2 days. I finally told them I am free fro. 5pm UK time everyday in the week!

Soldato
You can call or email them and someone will get back to you or sometimes you can live chat or use FB messenger via the website.

Can you expand upon what you mean by "sometimes" up there? Does it have to be done in certain hours of the day? Is it pot luck that some will respond? Where exactly on the sky website is the live chat option? I had a look myself the other day and it was certainly not obvious. What is the relevant option titled for example?

Caporegime
Can you expand upon what you mean by "sometimes" up there? Does it have to be done in certain hours of the day? Is it pot luck that some will respond? Where exactly on the sky website is the live chat option? I had a look myself the other day and it was certainly not obvious. What is the relevant option titled for example?
It depends on staff availability really. If all advisors are involved in the maximum number of chats then there won’t be the option on the site.

Soldato
Thank you. Will try FB or live chat then. Have been emailing for few days now. Every time they respond back after 2 days saying below:

I understand from your e-mail that you wish to discuss regarding the Sky Services.

I am unable to call you at this moment as we are out of calling window and in order to help you with your query I need you over a call to access your Sky Account.

Hence, I request you to reply to my e-mail with a preferred date and time between 9am and 8pm so that I can call and assist you accordingly.

The things is, I keep giving them my contact number and dates and times I am free, but this is the response I get after 2 days. I finally told them I am free fro. 5pm UK time everyday in the week!

If I were you I would send an email to: [email protected] and state something similar to below.

'I hereby give due notice to cancel my Sky TV package on 'DATE' as per contract end date.

I also give due notice to cancel my Broadband/Talk package having received your notification email
on 19th February 2021 of my right to do so.

I would expect to receive a confirmation of the above from you.'

You will get an email acknowledgement and someone will phone you in a few days. Make sure you give 31 days notice to cancel.

And even if you do all this properly they will find a way to **** it up. After confirming my cancellation they then left my account active and billed me for another month. I had to phone them to sort that out and just when I thought I was clear and sorted, this evening I received an email informing me they are charging me £68 for early termination charges for Broadband/Phone despite the fact they sent me an email on 19th Feb 21 informing me of a price rise and telling me I have the right to cancel (without early termination charges) provided I cancel within 30 days of receiving the above notice. Which I duly did by email and they confirmed by letter and email. It's almost comical, in the space of 10 minutes I received 3 emails, one stating 'We are glad you are coming back' another 'Thank you for your order' and finally 'Just to confirm your cancellation' blooming eck!

Last edited:
Soldato
If I were you I would send an email to: [email protected] and state something similar to below.

'I hereby give due notice to cancel my Sky TV package on 'DATE' as per contract end date.

I also give due notice to cancel my Broadband/Talk package having received your notification email
on 19th February 2021 of my right to do so.

I would expect to receive a confirmation of the above from you.'

You will get an email acknowledgement and someone will phone you in a few days. Make sure you give 31 days notice to cancel.

And even if you do all this properly they will find a way to **** it up. After confirming my cancellation they then left my account active and billed me for another month. I had to phone them to sort that out and just when I thought I was clear and sorted, this evening I received an email informing me they are charging me £68 for early termination charges for Broadband/Phone despite the fact they sent me an email on 19th Feb 21 informing me of a price rise and telling me I have the right to cancel (without early termination charges) provided I cancel within 30 days of receiving the above notice. Which I duly did by email and they confirmed by letter and email. It's almost comical, in the space of 10 minutes I received 3 emails, one stating 'We are glad you are coming back' another 'Thank you for your order' and finally 'Just to confirm your cancellation' blooming eck!

Thank you for the advice.
I did send an email yesterday similar to what you mentioned - but not that detailed to be honest. I didnt get a response for that yet. But today afternoon i managed to connect via their chat option and after about 30 minutes of chatting they finally agreed to cancel on the date the term is ending. They did "offer" me few options that were expencive than what i was paying now. I already have virgin TV package so I didnt want to continue anyway.
I got 2 emails confirming the cancellation, next steps and final bill amount etc.

Hope I dont have to go through what you mentioned! Seems like a real pain and a stress!

Associate

Yeah, agree, it's not obvious where to find live chat. I had to hit "Help", speak to virtual assistant, say "I want to cancel", then got thrown back to a different part of the website, then it asks whether you still need help, then I clicked yes and finally I got the option to message with someone. Once I'd done that I got through to someone straight away though.

First offer I got was £95 (+£20 admin fee) for signature, ultimate, HD, UHD, sports, multiscreen and superfast broadband. Said no and cancelled yesterday. Then today went to sky.com/mydeal where it offered £42 (no admin fee) for signature, ultimate, HD, UHD and sports. Didn't mention multiscreen or broadband for some reason. I'll add multiscreen later which should be at most £15 and will try to haggle again on broadband since I've not uncancelled that yet. List price is £28 for broadband, but might be able to get it for £18. So total should end up at £75-85. I can live with that for phone, broadband (which I've found to be surprisingly reliable), UHD TV, sports and premium netflix.

Soldato
Yeah, agree, it's not obvious where to find live chat. I had to hit "Help", speak to virtual assistant, say "I want to cancel", then got thrown back to a different part of the website, then it asks whether you still need help, then I clicked yes and finally I got the option to message with someone. Once I'd done that I got through to someone straight away though.

I did eventually spot the icon for live chat, or at least I assume it is for live chat. It only appears if you click "deals" on the top bar. Literally any other page on the site and the live chat icon vanishes. I've since sussed that my mobile includes 03xx numbers on the free call allowance so will probably use that, even if it means having to actually have to listen to them trying to keep me for half an hour, or however long it is they are instructed to try and convince you stay.

Associate
Had e mail from sky today after giving my 30 day notice to leave early this week. So contacted them on the online chat. They said I could have the full sky tv package including uhd, sports and cinema for 60 quid. The best they could do before I gave notice to leave was 79. So best to give 30 day notice if you want good deals. 18 month contract.

Associate
Had e mail from sky today after giving my 30 day notice to leave early this week. So contacted them on the online chat. They said I could have the full sky tv package including uhd, sports and cinema for 60 quid. The best they could do before I gave notice to leave was 79. So best to give 30 day notice if you want good deals. 18 month contract.

Hold out, you should be able to get another 15 quid off that.

You'll probably get a call off them near the end of the 30 days.

Associate
My contract has come to an end, and what I've usually been doing over the last couple of years is giving the notice and usually have a 50/60% off offer to renew the contract before the 30 day notice period is up. This is just for the TV package without broadband, as we cannot get Sky broadband in my current home.

We will be moving soon and I would ideally like to have a new package including fibre. Is it sensible to just cancel everything as it as at the minute, and sign up as a new customer under my partners name at the new address, or are they able to negotiate a new tv+broadband package, but not activate the broadband until we move?

Man of Honour
I was with Sky TV for 11 years until last June when I switched to Virgin due to their pricing not being competitive. I actually prefer the Sky interface so all else being equal would choose to be with Sky, so my thinking was I'll see out my 12 months term with Virgin and then switch back as a new customer on a decent deal.

However looking online, they are still pretty pricey even for new customers. They have definitely been hiking up the prices compared to a few years ago, and the bolt-ons in particular are pretty galling, they want £15/month for multiroom, £11/month for UHD etc. So that's over £300/month extra not even to get any extra channels, just the option to watch in high def and another room. The TV in the bedroom is just a nice to have really, we didn't have one for years so I can't justify that cost. And just generally getting the TV channels in the first place with Sky Sports etc it's already a pretty hefty price. Nowhere near the sort of deals you used to get, I think I used to pay around £60ish for everything I wanted, albeit not the absolute top package.

Virgin on the other hand was good value as a new customer, Ultimate Oomph bundle (basically all the channels, Sky Sports/Movies, BT Sport, UHD, Multiroom, Unlimited SIM, 600MB broadband, phoneline with anytime calls etc etc) for £79/month on a 12 month contract with £150 cashback. Just the TV element without phone/broadband/mobile costs way more than that from Sky even as a new customer.

I'm looking at it and thinking if I don't get a good retentions offer from Virgin we may be better off just going Freeview plus streaming on Amazon Prime etc. The main reason we got Sky in the first place was for sport, but I'm not even watching that much of it these days.

Caporegime
With the Multiscreen you get UHD so one cancels out the other. There are also new customer deals available in the home cinema section in the pinned thread.

I’ve certainly heard from colleagues still in the contact centre that since Comcast took over there’s been a huge push towards less deals, more money coming in and more sales required, even in direct sales roles.

Back
Top Bottom