*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I'm surprised Sky/Virgin TV is still as popular as it is now that analogue is off and so many people will have freeview available to them or even built into their TV. When it was 4/5 channels or Sky then it was different. My TV finds about 88 stations now although that's including radio etc. I think it's still 50-odd channels though and a few (1080p:o)HD ones too. I'm not saying this in any way compares to Sky but it's a hell of a deal for 0p. It's more TV than I'll ever watch.

I agree, if you're an in area which can get all the Freeview channels you've got quite a good selection there.

That being said, I've just ordered Sky for my new place, the internet will be far slower there which means my normal methods of watching US TV shows etc (plus Netflix) are somewhat useless. I like that Sky has HD versions of most major channels too, something Freeview is still rather lacking.

It'll be costing me £15.87 a month, which is more than reasonable considering I'm paying £10.50 for broadband and £5.99 for Netflix at the moment anyway.

V F

V F

Soldato
I agree, if you're an in area which can get all the Freeview channels you've got quite a good selection there.

How many are there?

something Freeview is still rather lacking.

Agreed. The SD quality is really poor on most of them compared to the SD channels on Sky. Sky News seems to be the worst.

Associate
Used to have virgin but defected to sky for the F1 in HD. Definitely think the 5.1 is better on sky rather than virgin, but virgin on demand is much better than sky.

Still kept BB through virgin as I've not had any problems with it and it's consistently quick, although I do think the de-prioritise packets for gaming so not all good.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Virgin will be getting F1 HD next year so will most likely switch back as I'm quite interested in TiVo (being able to record more simultaneous channels and the fact you can stream stuff off the box over wifi).

Either way they both charge stupid money for something I rarely use - if Freeview got the F1 in HD with 5.1 surround I'd ditch them both.

Soldato
OP
so I might get a call again in a few weeks to make me change my mind!?

what kind of deal will they offer like 50% off?

for how long etc?

is 50 % off for 6 months better then 6 months free?

Soldato
OP
I cancelled my contract in June as the "No Signal being received" nightmare got too much for me. They came back with the 75% off for a year offer which I accepted but 3 sky boxes later I'm still getting the same error and due to credit notes being issued for loss of service i've not had to pay a penny for it as yet. Super frustrating.

Bad signal in Ealing? Surely unheard of though? Ealing is hardly in the middle of nowhere lol

Soldato
We get salesmen dropping by regularly for Sky and despite me telling them I'm happy with just the very basic Virgin TV with Sky 1, my Freesat HD and that I'm only with Virgin for the internet, they really struggle to grasp that concept! Can you match my internet speed? No? Then I don't want Sky.

That being said, when Sky do match Virgin's speeds in my area I'll be seriously tempted considering just how naff Virgin has been since the Superhub...

Associate
Why do people wait for them to offer you a deal before quitting? Why not just ring up and say im going to cancel my sky if you dont give me 50% off for 6 months?

I got multiroom and hd half price jfor 6 months ust by asking

Soldato
OP
Why do people wait for them to offer you a deal before quitting? Why not just ring up and say im going to cancel my sky if you dont give me 50% off for 6 months?

But surely 6 months free is better than 50% off for 6 months? Should they offer that

Soldato

I did pretty much just that (didn't push for 6 months free) but a better deal than they were offering. They just told me it was all they could do and let me happily go through to cancel. I even told them I was thinking of moving my phone and BB to them if they could do the right deal.

Associate
I did pretty much just that (didn't push for 6 months free) but a better deal than they were offering. They just told me it was all they could do and let me happily go through to cancel. I even told them I was thinking of moving my phone and BB to them if they could do the right deal.

Put phone down and ring again. different people have different offers. ive been on phone a few times and some just say its all they can offer yet other sections might offer different deals.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well when I call back now I should get the "win back" offers, So god knows what they are going to be like. It doesn't get cut off till the 26th so will call up closer to the time. If I can get a decent deal on the TV and line rental I will probs go with their Fibre service as it's properly unlimited with no caps (unlike o2 who I'm with now ggrrr)

Associate
so I might get a call again in a few weeks to make me change my mind!?

what kind of deal will they offer like 50% off?

for how long etc?

is 50 % off for 6 months better then 6 months free?

You should get either 50% or 75% off but you might need to wait awhile for the offer to come through.

I cancelled my Sky TV account about 6 weeks ago and I got a letter today offering 75% off for 12 months and £50 credit on my account. Works out at about £34 a month for Sky World HD + multiroom and because of the £50 credit the first month and a half are free.

When I phoned up to rejoin with the offer I mentioned that one of my Sky HD boxes was a bit slow (3 year old Amstrad) and I was offered a new HD box for free if I paid £15 delivery. Pretty good deal I think.

Soldato
OP
You should get either 50% or 75% off but you might need to wait awhile for the offer to come through.

I cancelled my Sky TV account about 6 weeks ago and I got a letter today offering 75% off for 12 months and £50 credit on my account. Works out at about £34 a month for Sky World HD + multiroom and because of the £50 credit the first month and a half are free.

When I phoned up to rejoin with the offer I mentioned that one of my Sky HD boxes was a bit slow (3 year old Amstrad) and I was offered a new HD box for free if I paid £15 delivery. Pretty good deal I think.

See THAT is the deal I really really want
I can afford to pay that much and you get so much with it
I do need multiroom as well.

so that took u 6 weeks and you got a letter by post
that took them a while!

Soldato
I signed up for Sky for one year after a heavy discount, when I cancelled I was offered another 6 month contract at a similar rate and took that. After that I cancelled for good.

Don't be surprised at them not wanting to keep you. If they reach their targets or did not think you would be a valued customer then why would they offer to keep you on.

With todays technology and varied services you don't have to watch live TV and can use the internet and watch programs / films at your own convenience.

Soldato
How many are there?

Without checking I'm not actually sure. I only get a limited number of channels (as well as all the available HD ones, fortunately) due to my area, but when I visited my parents out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland a few months ago, they had the full selection. Of course the quality isn't going to be quite up there with Sky, but even the terrestrial channels are keeping up with some of the popular US shows and you can always find something to watch in any case, even if they are repeats/older shows.

Back
Top Bottom