*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Here's a radical suggestion. Pay the price for the services you want? For everyone that gets a discount there are others who are subsidising them. Sorry mr gas man, I'm not happy paying that price for your service. Mr TV licence? I want a half price deal.

Can't afford the price for the package you want? Don't get that package until you can.

Sky's level of churn is at its lowest level for about four years. They have no real incentive to offer deal after deal just to keep you. As for the guy who suggested why they couldn't offer six months free? I weep for the future should you ever run a business.

Surely you're not serious? You're saying people shouldn't jump on deals, or negotiate contracts to get a better price?

Presumably you don't take any 3 for 2 offers at the supermarket?

And of course they have an incentive to keep you, why do you think the churn is so low?

You really have no idea.

Soldato
Congratulations? You've successfully managed to cancel a contract? :confused:

You jest but that is no mean feat! I tried to cancel a few years ago and I was literally on the phone for 1 1/2 hours and spoke to about 6 people. I ended up with what I wanted though which was a free +HD box and reinstall as I wanted the dish in a different place. Plan was to cancel after a year but never got around to it. Just waiting for the TV to pop then we'll cancel it as I'm considering life without a TV now as it just eats into our evening, plus my wife watches absolute junk

Man of Honour
You jest but that is no mean feat! I tried to cancel a few years ago and I was literally on the phone for 1 1/2 hours and spoke to about 6 people. I ended up with what I wanted though which was a free +HD box and reinstall as I wanted the dish in a different place. Plan was to cancel after a year but never got around to it. Just waiting for the TV to pop then we'll cancel it as I'm considering life without a TV now as it just eats into our evening, plus my wife watches absolute junk

What will you plug your PS3, 360, Blu-ray/DVD player, etc, etc into without a TV? :confused:

Soldato
Here's a radical suggestion. Pay the price for the services you want? For everyone that gets a discount there are others who are subsidising them. Sorry mr gas man, I'm not happy paying that price for your service. Mr TV licence? I want a half price deal.

Can't afford the price for the package you want? Don't get that package until you can.

Sky's level of churn is at its lowest level for about four years. They have no real incentive to offer deal after deal just to keep you. As for the guy who suggested why they couldn't offer six months free? I weep for the future should you ever run a business.

i can't actually belive you said this .......i managed to get a f&f code off this site and i'm glad i did ( wouldnt have bothered otherwise ) . i tried my arse off to get a discount with sky dealers who set stalls up in shopping centres and got told told point blank EVERY time they didn't do discounts ....so your obviously at an advantage and get a nice big bonus for gettign customers and sky still make a profit .

so i think takign the pee out of poor folk who are unlucky enough to get soem sort of deal is in bad taste...i just helped out a guy on here who didnt realise he was getting shartfed for phone and broadband ... he was paying £45 a month with talk talk for the basic package .. which had changed years ago , and he was on an old package..

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

This thread highlights that some people are getting a very good discount, while others are paying full wack. I got a letter in the post saying ... "We are sorry to hear that you have canceled your Sky account"

Also they mentioned that I can still call them to change my mind - I will do no such thing!
We'll see if they get in touch with me :)

Soldato
OP

crikey my call lasted 20 minutes
he gave me some terrible discount (considering people on here quote 50% or 75% off)

There's more to life than the bloody TV, good on you mate!

Thanks and yes you are correct :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Sky are completely out of touch with their customers in my opinion and because there's no real competition to them, they can afford to be.

For example, why are the same movies repeated week in week out for two months at a time, when those exact same movies are on Anytime? If they're available to watch any time, why waste a channel by showing the same movie?

Why not use the standard channels to air a mixture of movies? There must be thousands of movies out there, yet Sky insist on repeating the movies that have just become available to air. Horrible Bosses or Immortals anyone?

Don't even get me started on SkyGo. We pay for multi room yet still only get the two device with one device change a month limit, this with a house hold containing two 18-35 year old gadget lovers who both have a smartphone and tablet a piece.

I've never seen Lord of the Rings on Sky. Wonder why that is.

Soldato
Hmm, I'm currently paying about £70 a month for TV, Sports, BB, been with them just over a year.

I appreciate that this isn't a "how can I make my Sky cheaper" thread, but how can I make my Sky cheaper?

Soldato
Call them and see what they can do, Be ready to cancel if that is what it takes. You could be without your services for a while though if you are after the bigger discounts, If you call them they are likely to offer you something like 20% off of your bill at the moment, (You need to be within 31 days of your contract ending)

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I'm currently paying about £70 a month for TV, Sports, BB, been with them just over a year.

I appreciate that this isn't a "how can I make my Sky cheaper" thread, but how can I make my Sky cheaper?

the trend is to call them, cancel the contract and then sit tight
they might call u again or not
not sure at this stage.

remember it takes 31 days to cancel
:)

Permabanned
Sky TV

HD Pack Discounted 28/11/12 - 05/12/12 £1.37 CR

Extra Subscription 28/11/12 - 27/12/12 £10.25

Sky+ Subscription 28/11/12 - 27/12/12 FREE

Entertainment Extra with Sports and Movies HD 28/11/12 - 27/12/12 £65.75
Viewing Subscription Discounted 28/11/12 - 05/12/12 £7.40 CR

Sky TV total: £67.23

Sky Broadband

Show details

£0.00

Sky Talk

Show details

£14.71

Payment due on 28/11/12

£81.94

Was paying half of the above for a year, now I'm paying nearly full price, still good value mind.

Soldato
Got call other day, I got offered 50% off of tv but nothing off of HD or line rental so it worked out the same as I was offered when I canceled, Guy on phone told me to keep an eye on my email and post.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got call other day, I got offered 50% off of tv but nothing off of HD or line rental so it worked out the same as I was offered when I cancelled, Guy on phone told me to keep an eye on my email and post.

when did you cancel it?

NOTHING off of HD? Gosh that is terrible, as many people on this post have said they are getting HD for half price

Soldato
Just before you mate. Got a email asking the reasons why I was leaving and they called me a day later. If they could have done something with the line rental I'd of probs gone for it (he did go off and ask his manager) but sky tv is a luxury for me so unless I can justify the price of it then it can go till my financial situation improves. Need to sort out my BB atm as I'm paying over the odds for it.

Back
Top Bottom