Sky verses anything else

Associate
Sorry I am a complete numpty to this but meaning to get rid of sky for a couple of years now Just far to much to my monthly budget and need to make cutbacks ( over £100 a month with the basic package No sports or films)
We have Sky Q and 3 mini boxes I have no ariel only the sky satellite to watch tv from ( 4 tvs in different rooms so to problematic to get a digital ariel connection to 4 different rooms in the house )
The only sky channels that we watch that are not on freeview would be sky atlantic i think.
My question is : what can save me loads of money using my existing equipment ?
Still enabling me to watch, record, pause At least from the main TV ?
We have reasonable wifi and I do not mind buying something additional if it would save me money in the long run
What would you guys do ?
thanks in advance for you help and remember Laymans terms please lol

Man of Honour
When you cancel Sky then the Q box and 3x minis go back to them. That means unless you have cables going to the rooms for the minis, then you're either going to have to rely on Internet catch-up TV or have some cabling installed.

The catch-up services are available right now for you to try. Use a smart TV or tablet/PC to give then a whirl. Personally? I think the functionality is clunky and the quality pretty variable, bur you might be happy with it.

Bear in mind that smart TVs have a habit of ceasing their support for apps after the first 3 years of a TV's model life. For this reason if nothing else, I would definitely consider putting in a more robust backbone. Your options are either Freesat or Freeview.

Freesat requires single or twin sat coax to each room depending on whether you want to watch live or record. With four rooms to service you will also need a change of LNB to an 8 output version. The current Q LNB won't work with Freesat gear.

If it was me, I would have an aerial system installed instead. One wire to each room enables the existing TVs and it's still all you need even if you want to run a dual channel recorder as well as watch live on the TV.

Add a Now TV box + subscription for the main TV only (£20/month) to get Sky Atlantic and some of the other entertainment channels not on Freeview and that should cover you and give a saving of £80/month.

Beyond the one-off cost of the aerial system (budget £300-£400 roughly), then the only other hardware cost is for any additional recorders per room. There's plenty of choice. At the cheaper end of the market you have the Chinese boxes sold via Ebay. In the mid market there's the budget boxes from Bush etc sold through Argos and the like. At the upper end you have Humax with quite slick machines which include decent support for catch-up TV.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks. By far the best reply so far
Only one thing. We actually paid for the Sky q and mini boxes and will remain our property once I cancel sky. Would you answer remain the same ?
If so I suppose I could sell the boxes on eBay to part fund the Ariel connections

Don
We actually paid for the Sky q and mini boxes and will remain our property once I cancel sky.

You have to pay for them, but they still aren't yours.

I looked at alternatives to sky a couple of years ago, and was disappointed by the options.

Nowtv is probably good enough for the sky channels but there arent any Freeview play or Freesat boxes that integrate it.

There are also slight differences in which channels Freeview and Freesat show.

Kodi etc boxes or building your own htpc are fine to some extent but can be difficult to integrate live TV tuners and most catch up services don't work/can't be nicely integrated.

If you're with bt or Plusnet for broadband, worth looking at their youview TV option which is essentially a Freeview pvr but has the option of some premium channels like discovery, Disney etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't forget Sky Q equipment is loaned to you and needs to be returned if you cancel. Downgrade to entertainment and HD and Sky Q MS. £25+£12.

Man of Honour
Many thanks. By far the best reply so far
Only one thing. We actually paid for the Sky q and mini boxes and will remain our property once I cancel sky. Would you answer remain the same ?
If so I suppose I could sell the boxes on eBay to part fund the Ariel connections

As others said, the Sky boxes aren't your property; even though you paid an access fee, they're still only on loan. On that basis my answer remains unchanged.

Freeview remains the cheapest way to watch and record simply because the tuners are built in to every TV, and adding recorders doesn't require additional signal cabling work. However, if you were to equip each TV in the house with a NowTV box and entertainment package then you'd be spending 4/5th of what ir costs now for a more basic system with a fraction of the functionality. On that basis, Sky is actually good value compared to the other subscription services IMO.

Soldato
Personally I use 3xApple TV 4s with Now TV and Netflix - using tv Player app for terrestrial (not perfect but it works ).

Other option would be Now TV smart boxes as they connect to an Aerial for free view alongside your subscriptions

Associate
Personally I use 3xApple TV 4s with Now TV and Netflix - using tv Player app for terrestrial (not perfect but it works).

Similar set up to me, Apple TV but with NowTV (with Entertainment and movie passes) Netflix and prime.

Too be honest Prime doesn’t get a lot of use but I keep it for the next day delivery.

Associate
Not sure if it works anymore, especially with Sky Q, but you can usually cancel (actually go through with cancellation) and then call back the next day and speak to the winback team.. or even log into your sky account.. you’ll likely see a 50% off voucher straight away.

Soldato
Not sure if it works anymore, especially with Sky Q, but you can usually cancel (actually go through with cancellation) and then call back the next day and speak to the winback team.. or even log into your sky account.. you’ll likely see a 50% off voucher straight away.
Not guaranteed, I was only offered 30% and was a 25yr customer paying £134.99pm. Left and now enjoying pretty much the same package with virgin (much better broadband) for £90pm.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I was only offered 30% and was a 25yr customer paying

Interesting... I guess sky will risk not offering you a better deal as you were content with paying the full rate for ~25years, hoping you'd crumble and be happy with the 30% whereas most people coming on board have had some kind of offer so expect a discount at renewal stage, which, as we know is less and less likely. Of course those people are happy to walk away and IME (just mine, not across the board), I've always received a hefty discount.

Associate
Interesting... I guess sky will risk not offering you a better deal as you were content with paying the full rate for ~25years, hoping you'd crumble and be happy with the 30% whereas most people coming on board have had some kind of offer so expect a discount at renewal stage, which, as we know is less and less likely. Of course those people are happy to walk away and IME (just mine, not across the board), I've always received a hefty discount.

I have only ever been subscribed with 50 or 60% off, at Christmas my deal was running out, then they let me keep my 60% off 18 months no contract. May be more difficult in a years time, will find out I suppose :)

Soldato
Now tv smart box has a built in freeview tuner. Also has slightly better 50hz output than the 60hz normal boxes.ie sky sports is smoother. Something to consider. In this day and age of catchup you can almost do without recording.

Also as an alternative bt tv ? It's meant to get full now tv functionality this year sometime

Soldato
I've been pleasantly surprised by BT Vision. Get Atlantic and BT Sport with the max TV. Bill is £60pm with 72meg fibre.

I'd probably go back to virgin given the chance though but can't (new build)

Hate sky.

Caporegime
I've been pleasantly surprised by BT Vision. Get Atlantic and BT Sport with the max TV. Bill is £60pm with 72meg fibre.

I'd probably go back to virgin given the chance though but can't (new build)

Hate sky.
Problem with BT TV is it uses your Internet connection for non-free view channels. Watch a sky channel, use some of your broadband. Sky is completely independent of BB speeds which is why its been so popular.

Back
Top Bottom