• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI newb 2 x 7800GTX

Associate
ok prolly a long shot, but seeing as its not been mentioned, have you plugged the sli bridge into the 2 cards....it should've come with the mobo.

Associate
As far as I remember you only need to plug in the EZ-Plug if you are not using a 24pin power connector to the motherboard. I have the same board + 2 x 7800gtx card in SLI and dont use the EZ-Plug and have never had an issue, you just have to disable the ez-plug warning in the bios. I also have the SLI configuration set to auto in the BIOS.

Soldato
OP
So no I've never used the second PCI-E slot, so far I've tried:-

1. Original card on its own in 1st PCI-E slot = No problems
2. New card on its own 1st PCI-E slot = No problems
3. Original card in 1st PCI-E slot with new card in 2nd = BEEP (machine boot and runs games but you can "warning beeps" and SLI doesn't appear to be working machine runs dog slow)
4. New card in 1st PCI-E slot with original card in 2nd = BEEP (machine boot and runs games but you can "warning beeps" and SLI doesn't appear to be working machine runs dog slow)

HEADRAT

Associate
Is it possible to run a single card in the 2nd PCI-e slot, I dont know as ive never had to try it. If you have removed the ezPlug you will have to disable that warning in the BIOS but I cant remember if that normally gives you an audio warning or not.

Soldato
OP
So another weird thing if I disable SLI in the drivers I still get this warning "bleep"!

I have disabled the EZ_Plug warning which I think is just the Red LED on the MOBO.

I will try running the cards on the second PCI-E slot to see if that might be the cause, as you say I'm not sure if this is supposed to work or not ;)

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not to far from you mate,if i get a chance and you dont get this sorted i could pop over with my A8N SLi and see if it does the same.

Soldato
OP
So haven't tried putting the cards in the 2nd PCI-E slot yet but I've definately enabled SLI and XP definately sees two cards:-

sli1.jpg

HEADRAT

Associate
what cards are you using - are they the same speed - whatever card is in the primary (blue slot) will set the speed of the cards, if 1 is running at a higher clock than the oter that might be your problem.

Soldato
OP
They are both Leadtek 7800GTX's so I would imagine they would be the same speed.

In the SLI multi-GPU tab in the drivers I have enabled the option "Show GPU load balancing" but I don't see anything displayed on the screen when I fire up UT2004 for example.

HEADRAT

Associate
just because they are both leadtek doesnt mean they are running the same speed (different bios settings) - might wanna try installing either the winfox program (that comes with the leadteks) or coolbits and check the speed the card is running at.

Associate
Hi.

Just a couple of things to suggest - apologies if they've already been suggested or tried.

1) Did you do a reinstall of your video driver upon installing the 2nd card?

2) I don't have your mobo but my DFI board required jumper settings to be altered for SLI operation. Have you checked that isn't also the case for your mobo?

Back
Top Bottom