• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI newb 2 x 7800GTX

Soldato
OP
1. I have re-installed the drivers

2. I don't beleive there is a jumber on the a8n-sli premium.

Thanks for your input though, it all helps :)

As I posted above it pretty obvious its not working as whnen I enable "Show GPU load balancing" but I don't see anything displayed!

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Associate
450 and 1250 isnt stock how they come from leadtek - leadtek released a bios update for these which raises them to that level - but if they are only running at 450 1250 then i dont see that as being the problem.

Does the Hiper you have have 2 seperate pci-e connectors or are you running 1 card from a molex with a converter?

Soldato
OP
I have one running off a MOLEX with an adapter, I have the other using the PCI-E connector on the PSU.

Also mixing clock rates is no longer a problem:-

"Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Clock Speeds
Example: You can use a higher clocked GeForce 6600 GT 550/525 with a standard clock GeForce 6600 GT 500/500."

with the newer drivers.

<UPDATE just tried both cards in the second PCI-E slot and the work fine>

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Associate
i wasnt suggesting that different speed cards wouldnt work together - just that if the primary card is set to a speed that the secondary cant run at it wouldnt work (so if you hads 490 core primary the secondary would automatically try and run at 490 which it may not be able to do)

Is anything else connected to the power lead going to your second card ?

Soldato
OP
So I wanted to see if the bleeping was from one of the cards not having power so I unplugged the card that is sitting in the 2nd PCI-E slots, no alarms and it works fine without power :confused:

I'm starting to think the MOBO must just be borked when used in SLI mode!

I may take CS||nuTs up on his kind offer of popping over with his A8N-SLI.

HEADRAT

Soldato
Have you tried it with both cards powered and the ez plug plugged in but with your HDDs unpowered to check for power problems.

Can you tell if the noise comes from the gfx card or the the psu?

Also if your cpu is overclocked it may be worth setting it all back to stock.

Edit :

If you get the same problem with CS mobo, then it may be worth taking your cards to his and trying thrm in his machine

Suspended
I think you need to isolate where the noise is coming from, just put yer finger on top of each buzzer in turn until one is muted.

Permabanned
Do all this-

Reset CMOS

Plug a MOLEX from the PSU onto the EZ PLUG connector, make sure you still have all the other connectors on the mboard (24 pin and 4pin etc etc).

Make sure both cards are seated properly and that the screws at the end are screwed in.

If you have the Standard or Deluxe board flip the little card thingy around

Go into BIOS and set the option to dual cards.

Make sure you have 2x PCI-Express connectors so power is going to both cards.

Make sure the SLI Bridge is securly in and support with the PCI bracket thing.

Do all that, not in that order :)

Soldato
OP
Done all of that and SLI is definately now working as I have the green bars on the left hand side showing SLI activity (which it never did before) but I still get the same high pitch alarm :(

HEADRAT

Soldato
OP
No, I'm currently using a Hiper 580W, I don't have any other PSU of this spec to try.

This is getting really annoying now, SLI is working perfectly but I can't get this damn alarm to stop, I think its coming from the MOBO but I can't be 100% as its just so damn loud! :(

Also when playing say UT2K4 the siren doesn't go off all of the time, sometimes it does go off but as soon as you move it goes off again so it would seem to be associated with maybe HEAT/LOAD.

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be heat i guess, but on the a8n theres a nice big gap between the cards. Even if youre using the botom pci slot for a soundcard theres ample room.

Have you disabled the ez warning in the BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom