• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI newb 2 x 7800GTX

Soldato
OP
Hmmm so it does seem to be pointing at the Hiper 580W being faulty, I've unplugged everything in the system I can and now the siren doesn't go off as often so it does seem that the PSU could be struggling.

HEADRAT

Soldato
OP
OK well thanks for all the helpful post all, I think I've come to the end of the road in terms of "testing" and the next thing is going to have to be replacing the Hiper 580W to see if I can get that wretched tone to go away.

On the bright side SLI is working great and I'm looking forward playing games with SLI turned on :)

HEADRAT

Associate
I have been reading all this with interest. This may well not be the case here of course but a few years ago I worked for a 3rd Party service company and for a period we had major problems with PSU failures in Compaq PCs at a lot of our customers. Fault was a high pitched whistling, just like your sound in fact, it often ended up with a small bang after a period of time, usually days. Reason ? Faulty capacitor batch in the the PSUs. The whistling was a sort of resonance effect which happened mainly after the PSU got hot but not always.

You never know....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nope tried that ;)

I only get this noise when there are two cards in the machine, with/without SLI enabled, I also tried swapping the power cables around just incase maybe one wasn't working.

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom