1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow MSN File Transfers

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by ASH1982, 6 Jan 2006.

1. ASH1982

Hitman

Ok I will try again since my post just vanished

Can someone help me set up my msn messenger for file transfers please... its painfully slow at the moment... I have clicked the help bar but its all double dutch :confused:

2. zpos

Wise Guy

Whats your upload/download speed of your connection? MSN can be painfully slow for reasons that I've yet to discover.

Of course, the speed of the recipients connection also matters as well what they are leeching at the same time. If they're maxing out their connection, your transfer will be very slow.

z

3. SiriusB

Capodecina

If you're behind a router then this can cause problems. Normally MSN Messenger tries to get a direct connection with the other person's computer. If it cannot do this [because of router/firewall] then it will route the connection via MSN's own servers. These servers have a massive speed restriction, so your transfers become, as you say, rather painfully slow.

If you are just behind a router, make sure you have the very latest version of Messenger, as older versions had some issues with NAT routers.

Failing that you could try http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

This website has step-by-step guides for opening ports for different software and routers. There is also a forum should you run into any problems.

Go to that link, scroll down and find your router, click on it then select the software, in your case MSN Messenger and it will sort you out.

If you do not have a router, then perhaps it is a firewall issue. Have a look in your Firewalls security options and see if MSN Messenger is allowed through. If not, let it.

If that doesn't work or you don't have a firewall [naughty naughty] then Lord knows what's up lol.

SiriusB

4. Craig321

Capodecina

The speed depends on the connection of yourself and the person you're sending it to.

5. malccy

Wise Guy

Also check whether you have Bittorrent software installed as this slows it dramatically.

6. ASH1982

Hitman

Thanks for your help :D
    The speed has been downed from 2meg to 512 by BT when I moved because the line couldnt cope... but it was doing it still when I had 2 meg
    Yup im behind a D-link router and modem and with firewalls

I will try what has been suggested

cheers :D

7. Firegod

Sgarrista

@SiriusB,

Do you need to check the ports manually or can you not just use UPnP to configure it all automatically? Does Messenger even have UPnP? :)

Cheers.

8. ASH1982

Hitman

Well i opened the ports and its no diff :(

9. Jotun

Mobster

I could be wrong, although i believe its caused when msn can't connect directly so it has to all go through the main server. The easiest solution i've found is to run a small script so my pc acts as a server and they can connect directly, it's a bit of hassle but speeds are greatly improved :)

10. Energize

Caporegime

If your with bt then your upload speed is 32KBps so no one can download a video from you any faster than that.

11. jegz

Wise Guy

Imho I tried to get this prob sorted many a time but to no avail.

If you are transferring over the local network it is fast (100Mbps) i think. But as soon as you try and transfer data over WAN it seems to slow it down loads (like what has been said about being behind the router).

Opening ports has never worked for me and i'm sure its impossible for the data to transfer as fast as a LAN connection because of your upload speed.

But if someone can get it working i'll be eager to take on that knowledge. :)

12. wesley

Soldato

same here but transfering files in GAIM is perfect :confused:

13. Clarkey

Capodecina

MSN does this super slow transfer for me all the time, even over the LAN it goes at under 1kb/s.

14. ASH1982

Hitman

yeah its rediculous isnt it every other chat applet i have used is fine all apart from MSN messenger

15. mc_bob

Banned

Is there any other software which you can use to transfer files to other people at normal speeds?
    I've looked around but can't find anything.

MC_Bob

16. DanMc07

Mobster

Thanks for that! this is one thing That I have been looking for, for a LONG time :D
    Ive just tried it on my own compyter and connnected to my self, was getting like 7mbps on my 2mb line, obviously im going to get good speeds as its to my self, but I can see this been alot faster for my friends :D:D

Cheers m8