Slow unstable wireless speeds Virgin media 30mb

Associate
Not able to test with a cable at the moment, but have one ordered. This is the situation with wireless so far:

Speeds are highly varyiable jumping from 0.5 to 30 mb, there will be days of constant 10-30mb then days where it averages <1mb. Obviously gaming is pretty much out of the question most of the time, as is youtube etc!

Had an engineer round once before, fixed something outside in the box. However my suspisons lie with the router for several reasons. Firstly the engineer never looked at the router or the settings ( i wasn't there to tell him to), secondly there seem to be quite a few complaints about it online, thirdly the internet was apparently "fine" when the previous occupants were in the house (using the old router but same virgin media 30mb package). Basically looking for any advice possible on changing settings in the router etc suggestions as I'm a complete novice at this, thanks!

p.s my laptop works perfectly in wireless with my internet in my other house, and anywhere else.

Last edited:
Associate
Been with Virgin for 2 years, not had one problem with the net, wired or wireless. I've got the netgear WNR2000 router . I run an ipad, laptop and PS3 through the wireless connection and its fine, always got a strong connection. Maybe firmware update on the router? I updated the firmware on mine about a month after i got it.

Associate
The Superhub is a pile of steaming dog poo !

On wireless I was getting so many disconnections and the router kept randomly rebooting too (several times a day). I moaned so much at tech support they sent me a new router and that was just the same.

In the end i have put it in modem only mode and attached my old wireless router and to that a gigabit hub and since then not 1 reboot at all.

Diddy

Man of Honour
As Diddyman said, the *not so*Superhub is your problem, you only have to look at the VM forum and other such like places and you'll see that the SHUB is totally pants as a wireless router.

Put the router into modem mode only and run a network cable to a decent wireless router of your choice and you should good to go :)

Associate
Yep muy hub has been up for almost 4 days without a reboot now and my good old Linksys wireless router provide rock steady wireless connections !

Back
Top Bottom