1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallest size case a standard motherboard will fit in?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Teknobry, 8 May 2007.

1. Teknobry

Wise Guy

Pretty much got the spec together for a new pc, was going to put it in a shuttle but very limited by available motherboards. So, was thinking what is the smallest case available that can house a half decent core 2 duo motherboard?
    Needs enough room for a h/d, DVD drive, Geforce 8800 GTS and a CPU cooler.

Reason I need it small is that it needs to be as portable as possible - lugging a big tower from house to car to hotel then back to the car then back home again every week would be a pain in the arse!

2. Steeps

Soldato

shuttles come with their own motherboards, PSU and cooling just to let you know. also with the amount of travelling/lugging why not get a half decent laptop, would be much easier :confused:

3. m_cozzy

Hitman

sounds like you need an matx board, look at the silverstone sugo & the lian li range. I have just bought an abit f-i90hd board and am waiting on the sugo sg03 case to be released :)

4. slap ed

Hitman

mountain mods bobslay case superb , i can fit full size atx mb and 8800 gts 3 hd's and full size psu . and because the mb is seperated from other components and lies horizontal i found my temps dropped quite a bit as well ,plus it has a carrying handle to boot. it measures h 305mm w 282mm d 373mm ,another plus was because off the size i can use noctua 800 rpm fans to keep everything cool which means the only audible noise is now my cpu fan (working on that one )

5. p4radox

Capodecina

You could get an mATX case like a Silverstone Sugo, and an mATX Core 2 Duo motherboard. The problem is that there are no mATX Core 2 Duo motherboards to match the overclocking potential of a full ATX board.

You could go for a small full ATX case like a Lian Li V600, G50 or PC-A05. :)

6. misterPK

Mobster

If you're looking to use a non-stock CPU cooler, be carefull when looking at the G50 or V600, as the power supply is mounted right in the space that a big tower style cooler would take up.

I have a G50 running with my old Athlon stock cooler, and thats about as tall as i'd want to go to keep a good airflow, but every now and then I find myself longing for quieter alternatives.... :rolleyes:

That aside I just love the size and pure looks of the thing.

PK!

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Antec Super Lanboy would be a good choice also uf you could find one. Fits a full sizes mobo and i had a 7900GTX in mine as well :)

8. Teknobry

Wise Guy

I looked into shuttles, but even the top of the range mobo for it doesn't support 800mhz ram which I've just bought :(

I wouldn't want a 'half decent' laptop, I wanted one that would be good enough to rival a desktop, but they are just to expensive.

Liking that super lanboy case! Trying to find one though isn't proving to easy...

9. ColinR

Gangster

Keeping the cables tidy in a Super Lanboy can be a bit fiddly (to say the least), but it is lightweight.

It comes with carry handles, but they're not worth the effort.