SMART Car with Suzuki engine!

Soldato
MouseMat2004 said:
Bike engines have little torque and generally dont last as long due to the high state of tune.

Corsa 1.2 8v has 75ft/lb torque
Corsa 1.2 16v has 78ft/lbs torque

ZX12r has 91 ft/lb torque...

They certainly arent short of torque... as any BEC car driver will tell you, thats a myth spread by people who don't know...

carrear.JPG

That baby will pull away without touching the throttle, yet if I want to, it will hit 60mph in 3 seconds and give me the ride of my life in the mean time...

They dont last as long due to the RPM more than the state of tune...

The reason they arent put in cars is that they are harder to drive (due to the spread of power), and at M-Way cruising speeds they are pulling around 7,000 rpm and about 12mpg...

Thats hard on the pocket and the ears...

:eek:

Associate
Out of interest, when it comes to having a bike engine in a car what are the emmision rules for the MOT, Do they test it as a car or bike? bike rules are lax, hell they aren't even analyzed, but for modern cars they are pretty tight.

Soldato
That 'car' isnt exactly your usual 1ton car is it and comparing a Corsa 1.2 engine to a ZX12R isnt exactly like comparing apples to apples, compare engines making similar power and you're talking about the bike engine making <30ft/lbs torque

State of tune/high rpm seems pretty much the same to me, all highly strung motors rev higher to produce more power hence have a shorter life.

Soldato
MouseMat2004 said:
That 'car' isnt exactly your usual 1ton car is it and comparing a Corsa 1.2 engine to a ZX12R isnt exactly like comparing apples to apples, compare engines making similar power and you're talking about the bike engine making <30ft/lbs torque

State of tune/high rpm seems pretty much the same to me, all highly strung motors rev higher to produce more power hence have a shorter life.

Then you obviously don't understand engines..

Engines dont make horsepower, they make torque... BHP is a calculation based on torque x rpm (roughly speaking)... so the bike increased brake horsepower actually comes from its increased rpm

Plenty of people have put zx12r motors in saxo's, corsa's etc etc... and they are faster, autocross is one example...

I am comparing a 1.2 car with a 1.2 bike... same capacity, just tuned for different rpm and for the same capacity the bike makes more torque... so apples with apples...

The main difference that allows a bike engine to rev is lighter crank shaft/flywheel and it has a primary reduction so it feeds the gearbox half of its rpm compared to the cars 1:1...

If you were to continually rev a car to 11,000 rpm how long do you think it would last?

Okay, howabout reving the bike to 7,000 rpm?

Its about RPM not state of tune...

:p

Soldato
mr jamez said:
Out of interest, when it comes to having a bike engine in a car what are the emmision rules for the MOT, Do they test it as a car or bike? bike rules are lax, hell they aren't even analyzed, but for modern cars they are pretty tight.

When my car was SVA'd it was tested at todays standards for cars..

For its MOT it is treated as a G Plate car, which it is, the emissions are based on the donor vehicles age, in this case a G plate sierra cosworth...

We had to fit a cat, and mess with the power commander for half a day to dial it in, as soon as we got back from the SVA, off came the silencer and cat, on went a race system, and the power commander dialled back in...

With the Dry Sump, Clean Air system closed off, timing advanced, its making around 191 bhp and 100 ft/lbs of torque if the dyno is to be believed... but I take such figures with a pinch of salt...

:D

Back
Top Bottom