Smart home security - Recommendations?

Associate
Anyone got any recommendations on home security? Moving in in around a month's time and am after something that will secure my home a bit more than at present. I'm currently considering either your bog standard Yale alarm, or something snazzy like Canary, although it seems like a rip off.

What does everyone use to protect their home or add security?

Any recommendations for IP Camera systems? Will need 2 cams or so external to property.

Currently own Alexa and GHome, so integration would be good.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Buy a dog.

/thread
That'd all be well and good if I wasn't at work for 8 hours a day :(

There's a thread on home alarm systems already about in a better suiting forum:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/house-alarm.18790729/

Hikvision for CCTV although public are no longer going to be able to buy it through authorised sellers.

e; To elaborate, I have absolutely no interest in Use-IP but they published this statement:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-tAsqZ7ZSV-8L6l3_usEdqWhMiUfqCAOuWEIE0zSiAE/edit

Awesome, will have a read.

Associate
I use a Miguard AW1 system. Connects via wifi and will send you an alert via their app if the alarm is triggered etc, you can also remote / disarm via the mobile app.

I added quite a few additional PIR sensors and an external bell box which has been up and running now for about a year or so, up to now has worked without any issues.

In addition to this I also have a Fibaro system installed througout the house to control my lights etc and a Hikvision CCTV system. I was toying with just using the Fibaro motion sensors as an alarm but I like the Miguard system as it works well.

Associate
If they want it they'll have it in my opinion. Just have as good a locks as you can afford and a decent CCTV system so you get decent pics of whoever breaks in. Of course also have adequate contents insurance so you're covered for any loss. Whilst it is a pain losing personal items as I've said if they really want it they'll have it! You may of course stop the opportunist but these can be stopped with basic security measures.

Associate
OP
I use a Miguard AW1 system. Connects via wifi and will send you an alert via their app if the alarm is triggered etc, you can also remote / disarm via the mobile app.

I added quite a few additional PIR sensors and an external bell box which has been up and running now for about a year or so, up to now has worked without any issues.

In addition to this I also have a Fibaro system installed througout the house to control my lights etc and a Hikvision CCTV system. I was toying with just using the Fibaro motion sensors as an alarm but I like the Miguard system as it works well.

Hm okay, will look into them :)

If they want it they'll have it in my opinion. Just have as good a locks as you can afford and a decent CCTV system so you get decent pics of whoever breaks in. Of course also have adequate contents insurance so you're covered for any loss. Whilst it is a pain losing personal items as I've said if they really want it they'll have it! You may of course stop the opportunist but these can be stopped with basic security measures.

That's very true, I guess there's no way to stop it, only deter it.

Permabanned
As said, it's mainly a deterrant as people will even break in while you are there.

That said, some do get freaked out if you shout over comms the police are on their way - or you can call the police as it happens, there's a lot of articles where they were caught red handed because police turned up as it happened thanks to the system(s)

Associate
OP
As said, it's mainly a deterrant as people will even break in while you are there.

That said, some do get freaked out if you shout over comms the police are on their way - or you can call the police as it happens, there's a lot of articles where they were caught red handed because police turned up as it happened thanks to the system(s)
Yeah, precisely. That's what my philosophy has turned to now. I'm pretty much off the idea of a siren system. Most people seem to just react as "Turn that bloody racket off" rather than investigating or suspecting a break in.

Best deterrent seems to be CCTV with active voice communications. Think I'll aim for that with some nice hidden PoE cabling and switching.

Associate
OP
I've recently bought into the ismartalarm.com products, so far got the essential pack (camera, motion PIR, and couple of door sensors). So far so good, all wireless

I worry about wireless... Scarily easy to jam. I guess it's just as easy to cut a cable though!

Soldato
cctv sounds good, but useless if they put a mask on

They can use the footage to figure out a time and which direction they were heading in, then pick him up on a different camera further down the street with their mask off and also link them with any other crimes they committed in the area.

its not just about the face straight away.

-

Also interested in security cameras as I've had my car scratched twice now

Soldato
I worry about wireless... Scarily easy to jam. I guess it's just as easy to cut a cable though!

Fair point... but.

What burglars come equipped like this? Most burglars are opportunistic. Unless you're protecting a multi-million pound house in the middle of nowhere, filled with stuff and some obvious nice motors outside, people are not going to jam your home.

Granted, in the situation where they do jam, I'd put money on them also being armed... at which point no alarm is going to help you.

Back
Top Bottom