Smart UAC Replacement

Soldato
I have just come across this program

"Smart UAC Replacement will determine automatically, according to its settings, if the certain program's action can be allowed or not "

"Tracking harmful and suspicious processes allows Smart UAC Replacement to find unknown malicious programs and prevent their activity"

http://www.replaceuac.com

Anyone tried this yet? I may try it soon and see if it's any good.

Mind you anything is better the UAC imho

Caporegime
No application will replace decent virus protection and common sense.

And fiddling with Windows in built protection always strikes me as slightly suspect

Man of Honour
Several of the features of that program are about opening potential security holes for the sake of user convenience, and pretending they are security features...

I'm not convinced.

Soldato
OP
No application will replace decent virus protection and common sense.

And fiddling with Windows in built protection always strikes me as slightly suspect

I don't think it's there to replace a anti-virus or anuthing like it.
It looks to me that instead of UAC keep asking you the same thing for the same program this will stop it.

Soldato
And what happens when a piece of malware bypasses or disables that software? It's never going to be as resilient as a feature integrated into Windows and coded by the people who developed its security architecture. And that website looks really unprofessional.

Soldato
I'm kinda of the opinion if you're going to go to the trouble of installing 3rd party tweaks to UAC you may as well turn it off. To me it sounds more like it will blow a hole in your security setup for the sake of convenience (like most things)

Do not fight with malicious programs – prevent them. The Smart UAC Replacement is a kind of “immune protection” from viruses, spyware, trojans, adware, privacy breakers and rootkits for your computer.

Obviously untrue. I personally wouldn't install it.

Soldato
Would you buy from a company that has this many mistakes and pig english in a single paragraph?

their website said:
At the same time similar job was carried on in Symantec corps. They've released Norton UAC Tool software called to make UAC of Vista user-friendly. There Symantec introduced memory feature allowing users to suppress future prompts for the same action. The program tries to display as much information as possible as well as recommendations on the action requested. But the software is based on intrusive method of installation that means the program hacks Vista kernel implementing its codes, and gets active when original UAC prompts are active. This can entail serious consequences - after Vista is up-dated, Norton UAC tool may not switch ever or even cause defects in the operating system. Basic idea here is that Norton UAC tool's prompts are faster than those of original one; they intercept Vista UAC prompts. Also, Norton UAC tool collects meta information on Symantec's server. Meta information - is data about user personal/private prompt case.

Back
Top Bottom