Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
This is getting painful now. I managed to confirm that people had the Honor 10 working successfully with the Versa 2 (changed from a Versa 3). Bought the Versa 2 and now the sodding Honor 10 has packed in.

Can anybody recommend a £200 mid range Android that they have managed to get working with a Versa 2. If you go on the Fitbit forums a mod jumps in straight away and points you to the list of approved phones, all of which are quite old. I have a Poco X3 at the moment and that would be the sort pf phone I'm looking at, but I've read elsewhere that there are issues with the Versa 2.

Any help much appreciated
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, usually you will have to disable any battery optimisations the phone might have on Fitbit's app to get it fully working. Seeing as you already have the Poco, have you tried it with that phone yet? Or is there a reason you want to use the Versa 2 with a different phone?

Associate
The Versa (and the new phone) will be presents. I spent absolutely ages messing about trying (unsuccessfully) to get a Versa to work with a Huawei P20 Lite. We have a Versa in the house that works perfectly with an Honor 8X and I don't want to risk messing it all up by trying it with my X3. I'd be grateful if somebody could just say 'I have this (new £200 android phone) and it works with my Versa 2'. That would be job done.

The phones on the Fitbit website that are compatible are all about a year old - I don't want to buy an Honor 8X again. I don't know why it takes them so long to update their lists

Cheers

Soldato
The Versa (and the new phone) will be presents. I spent absolutely ages messing about trying (unsuccessfully) to get a Versa to work with a Huawei P20 Lite. We have a Versa in the house that works perfectly with an Honor 8X and I don't want to risk messing it all up by trying it with my X3. I'd be grateful if somebody could just say 'I have this (new £200 android phone) and it works with my Versa 2'. That would be job done.

The phones on the Fitbit website that are compatible are all about a year old - I don't want to buy an Honor 8X again. I don't know why it takes them so long to update their lists

Cheers

This any help?

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Oth...ompatibility-with-Huawei-P20-Pro/td-p/2667493

Associate
Hi all,

Don't suppose anyone could recommend some smartwatches for me to check out to get the wife for Xmas, it needs all the bell and whistles such as NFC, speaker/mic for taking calls etc and importantly as small/light as possible, she stopped using her old smartwatch for this reason, any good ones with this criteria under £250? Thanks in advance.

Soldato
What smart watch do you have now? I find the term 'smart watch' is a little broad as you have:

• Garmin devices that are more fitness focused and do some smart watch features such as notifications, but don't run WearOS or another platform that give access to a wide selection of apps
  • WearOS/Tizen based watches that a primarily smart watches but with some fitness apps that are limited
  • Brands like Sunnto who are like Garmin, but also have WearOS devices but have their proprietary fitness apps working on their WearOS watches
The problem with WearOS is battery life isn't great so using them for constant hike tracking will hit the battery hard. It does look like the SD 4100 SoC has improved performance and battery life for the platform, but a lot remains to be seen with no watches yet running the 4100+ chip (this has additional low power cores exclusively for tracking).

So if you're not interested in a wide selection of apps, I would check out Garmin and Sunnto (non WearOS) watches.

I have a Galaxy Watch 3 that is great for tracking and battery life, plus has compass apps on the store. The tracking element is great on the watch, but doesn't work well as a companion device to apps running on your phone. For example, Komoot is supposed to be able to send navigation prompts from my phone to the Komoot app on my watch but this does not work at all. This is the ideal way to use Komoot as it's the phone doing all the GPS and processing, which is preferable due to qatches only having small batteries.

Soldato
Looking at a smart watch, last one I had was the original galaxy watch.

Seems Huawei GT2 is one to get based on reviews, wondered on user views here or anything else should consider

Associate
Looking at a smart watch, last one I had was the original galaxy watch.

Seems Huawei GT2 is one to get based on reviews, wondered on user views here or anything else should consider

I think you need to decide what's most important. Serious fitness = Garmin Fenix. Battery life = Garmin. Display / apps and you have an Apple phone = Apple Watch. Got a Samsung phone and want the Apple Watch experience = Galaxy Watch. Fitness and a pretty display (but not the best) = Garmin Venu. A bit of everything, but not necessarily the best at anything = Huawei, Amazfit, Xiaomi etc...

Soldato
I think you need to decide what's most important. Serious fitness = Garmin Fenix. Battery life = Garmin. Display / apps and you have an Apple phone = Apple Watch. Got a Samsung phone and want the Apple Watch experience = Galaxy Watch. Fitness and a pretty display (but not the best) = Garmin Venu. A bit of everything, but not necessarily the best at anything = Huawei, Amazfit, Xiaomi etc...

Id like it to look visually nice as a watch, I have a Samsung S20 FE 5G phone, id like it to do some fitness stuff e.g. track sleep, heart rate, stress levels etc, Id like it to also pull notifications through e.g. messages, calls, emails etc. I wont use it for music as i know some of them can now.

Associate
Id like it to look visually nice as a watch, I have a Samsung S20 FE 5G phone, id like it to do some fitness stuff e.g. track sleep, heart rate, stress levels etc, Id like it to also pull notifications through e.g. messages, calls, emails etc. I wont use it for music as i know some of them can now.

Then I'd say go for a Galaxy Watch. I had one, liked it, but swapped it for a Fenix because I got bored. I've now bought the new Galaxy Watch 3 but there's only limited improvements over the original. These are £159 / £179 in John Lewis which I think are now great value.

Soldato
I have a TickWatch Pro (original, not the updated version with 1GB RAM) and was getting so frustated by it's laggy performance that I was looking at getting a new watch with Christmas money.

Today I was using ADB to disable a number of the Mobvoi services/apps and oh my what a difference it makes! Everything feels so much smoother and responsive now.

Will probably hold off a purchase now and wait to see what Qualcomm Wear 4100/4100+ watches are released in 2021 and also see how Google's aquisition of Fitbit changes anything.

Soldato
I have a TickWatch Pro (original, not the updated version with 1GB RAM) and was getting so frustated by it's laggy performance that I was looking at getting a new watch with Christmas money.

Today I was using ADB to disable a number of the Mobvoi services/apps and oh my what a difference it makes! Everything feels so much smoother and responsive now.

Will probably hold off a purchase now and wait to see what Qualcomm Wear 4100/4100+ watches are released in 2021 and also see how Google's aquisition of Fitbit changes anything.

I did the same a few months back, still not "fast" but bearable :)

Soldato

That's great to know.

I'm still looking at the oppo watch 46mm wi-fi.
But oppo used a old chipset which puts me off and so does the price.

Sho

Sho

Soldato

Can you postacguide on here please.

Caporegime
I've been running a budget Chinese smart watch for 6 months and have loved it, but have a £100 Amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm wondering if a 'Samsung Galaxy Watch Bluetooth 46mm' at £221 would be a good idea for someone that owns a Samsung phone and wants a watch to do a variety of things, including general calls and notifications, fitness, and GPS tracking?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to follow up from my post, I snagged a Huawei GT2 for £119.

Been using it since I originally posted as found a deal later that day, loving it.

The fitness aspect is what I wanted and the watch itself feels nice to use and looks nice with a lovely screen.

I opted for the one with what they call sunset orange strap

Back
Top Bottom