1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smash :(

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Hxc, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Hxc

Capodecina

Aaargh.

I have become another statistic. An 18 year old male who has stuffed his car. Wahay me. Day after my birthday :D

NSL Country road, driving home, going round a blind bend at about 30mph, road wet and greasy, car in front braked hard to avoid hitting one in front of it, I couldn't stop in time, smash.

Car I hit was a big sprinter van, dented the rear door and bumper.

My car is a little bit more seriously effected, front end caved in quite a bit, need new wings, bonnet, a panels....

But, I'm alive and not too badly hurt, just a sore back and neck.

I'll put some pics up of the car in it's sorry state but we are more than likely gonna go ahead and repair the bugger, although with some significant changes.

1) Conversion back to carb, SPI is a pain in the arse and I can make a fair bit of cash back selling the ECU and bits (£90 for a used ECU!)
    2) Fibreglass front end + lots of bracing. Step dad is experienced with fibreglass and it's gonna be easier, and cheaper all round.
    3) Respray, in a base colour of sorts. Possibly black or a matt green... any ideas folks?

Annoying and frustrating but I made a mistake and will learn from it. Life goes on.

Insurance costs will be a laugh next year :cool:

2. sigma

Suspended

Doh! Good to hear nobody was hurt.

Chalk it down to experience and watch your distances. I'm sure you've heard it enough times already though. :)

3. ci_newman

Sgarrista

Damn! These things happen :) Learn and move on..

4. Howard

Capodecina

Whoops! Unlucky :( But glad you're feeling relatively chipper about it! These things happen indeed

5. Wicksta

PermaBanned

Sorry to hear about your crash. Fibreglass frontends never fit well, I wouldn't put one on a roadcar.

6. Hxc

Capodecina

I wasn't yesterday, I assure you. I was a right state ahaha. But the plans to do it up and all have made me feel ace :)

7. sigma

Suspended

What about prototypes?

8. allllec

Mobster

Not you as well!

[​IMG]

9. Howard

Capodecina

Yeah at the time it's natural to feel devastated. Good luck with the resto' :cool:

10. Luseac

Mobster

Been there, know how you feel. Sounds like you're going about it with the right attitude though so good luck getting everything sorted :)

11. Hxc

Capodecina

Regarding the fitment of fibreglass front ends; we've found them to be fairly good on all cars we've seen, plus we can do alterations without much work as we're experienced with fibreglass from my step dad's powerboat :)

12. Wicksta

PermaBanned

They never look right to me and I've seen hundreds back from when I used to race Minis. The best one I had was a Curley one with separate bonnet.

13. Pete19s

Wise Guy

Totally gutted! What is it with Sprinters and cars round this way? Nothing but trouble! Atleast you have got a good plan of attack for getting the car back on the road. Hope it goes well.

14. allllec

Mobster

*COUGH* 1275gt front end *COUGH*

;)

15. I get around

Mobster

Horrible being in an accident on country roads, I remember no so long back, smashing into the back of someone at about 50ish, christ, when i look at the wreck i dunno how we got out unharmed.

16. lordrobs

Capodecina

Doh, get it fixed up so you can get yourself down to a nano meet at Snetterton or we could do a coast run again in the spring/summer.

17. kaiowas

Capodecina

Unlucky :(

18. Hxc

Capodecina

I'm really up for getting it all sorted to be honest. It's gonna be good to get it done all right how I want it :)

Just gotta source a decent carb engine for a non silly price first.

19. Fr0dders

Caporegime

not surprising

As somebody who crashed 3 times before he turned 20 i'm not being condescending (sp?)

You simply cant teach experience, nor can the driving lessons teach you what happens when you think drive in such a way that you think is inside your limit, only to find its not when you get there, .. its not. The lessons teach you that your limit lies with driving like a granny. And of course its not. Man and machine is capable of more than that. And thats why men are worse for it than women, as they are more keen to discover where the real limits lie.

Its that re-adjusting of your limits that happens with experience and usually takes a few years.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2009
  20. Skeeter

Caporegime

Everyone is entitled to 1 crash, it teaches you the limit.

Like everyone get drunk loads when they are young, you learn the point at which you stop before you vomit everywhere.

Glad your ok though.