1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smith College "racism" farce - will we see more of this in the UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dowie, 26 Feb 2021.

1. dowie

Capo Crimine

I wonder if woke types keep on pandering to this stuff whether it will become a bit "boy who cried wolf" in years to come - I mean it provokes quite the overreaction at the moment but in the long run will playing the race card over routine incidents mean that actual racism accusations are then diminished too?

tl;dr
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Black Student at an expensive, private liberal arts college decided to eat in some area of the university that was closed off - she was told by one staff member already.
    A low level employee/janitor spots her and as per university instructions to not deal directly with incidents like this he calls campus security.
    Campus security/police arrive and question her....
    She kicks off and the race card gets played. Various low-level university employees get thrown under the bus by the administrations, everyone panders to the privileged student.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Full article is well worth a read as it shows how far gone some places are thanks to being overly sensitive and pandering to anyone claiming "racism".

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/us/smith-college-race.html

2. R.P.L

Wise Guy

I don't think I can handle another one of these threads for a while. Probably lots of unconscious bias going on is the only conclusion I can draw right now.

3. dowie

Capo Crimine

Not clear what you even mean here tbh...?

4. R.P.L

Wise Guy

It was just a silly reference to the thinking that anything bad that happens to black people is a result of white people's unconscious bias, as per the Coca Cola thread. But I haven't got any useful points to make here - I only skim read your quote and as I said, I haven't got the energy for another 'is this racist?' thread right now.

5. Rexton

Wise Guy

Then why comment at all?

6. billysielu

Capodecina

surely you mean "person who cried wolf" right? :rolleyes:

7. kaiowas

Capodecina

How dare you assume the species of a figurative organism

8. R.P.L

Wise Guy

Because I can.

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I don’t know how UK tertiary education is now but even 20 years ago the direction of travel where faculties bent over to the misplaced views of students was common. I can’t imagine anything has improved.

When I found out my former Uni has gone from 14 bars on campus to 4 in the last 20 years tells me a lot about the misplaced priorities of modern students :rolleyes:

10. 200sols

Soldato

The Woke warriors in the other threads will be happy. Surprised they're not here yet tbh.

11. FoxEye

Caporegime

Was this Glasgow Uni by any chance? :p

Nah, can't be - they'd have gone from 14 to 24 :p

12. alchal

Wise Guy

I'm sure a certain Tony will be along any minute.....

13. Lysander

Capodecina

There's an acronym for this - DARVO - "Deny, Attack, Reverse Victim-Offender". She is the one at fault and now she is playing the victim and blaming someone who was just doing his job and acting on instruction. Institutions need to stop being scared and playing games like these, it only creates more problems in the long run.

14. Jean-F

Wise Guy

Maybe because, similar but not the same as the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, under Article 10 of the Human Rights Act, 1998, “everyone has the right to freedom of expression” in the U.K.

15. mmj_uk

Capodecina

The problem is the woke left have created a massive climate of fear, everybody is so terrified of being called some kind of 'ism' and 'cancelled' that they will throw anyone under the bus at the first sign of any accusation. We need to get back to a belief in the presumption of innocence until proven guilty rather than the modern equivalent of medieval witch trials and tarring and feathering those who are simply accused of something.

16. Luckystrike123

Hitman

I completed a degree last year. Even though it an engineering degree there was still quite a lot of woke nonsense, calling things out for being racist that weren't, discrimination everywhere, only white people can be racist etc etc.

I'd dread to think what some of the other schools are like.

17. Chris Wilson

Soldato

Such a far cry from my old form master, who, on the start of the school year, and going through his new class members said of a new boy of colour, "Wilson, at lunch time see if he knows how to use cutlery correctly and knows what to do at Grace". It turned out he was the son of some high ranking diplomat and knew more about behaviour at formal dinners than probably the whole staff combined, was fluent in four languages and regularly rubbed shoulders with the minor Royals and could probably quote most of Debretts... :) And no, no one complained, he was probably the most cultured young person I ever met, and his general demeanour shouted future achievement and the half hidden arrogance only a very privileged background and great self confidence gives.

18. 200sols

Soldato

And others. They are somewhat silent in threads like these that challenge their ideology..

19. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Not going to bite for this lame attempt.

20. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Funnily enough I had to unignore the OP and can only see this thread when not logged in. So maybe thats the problem as well as this being just a story rather that certain people getting outraged at their own victimhood status like the Coca Cola thread..

Anyway thats my last post in this thread. Maybe dowie should start all these types of threads then a lot of people wont partake.