1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smith to return in September

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Ripper, 15 May 2006.

1. Ripper

Capodecina

Good news! after all the foot getting amputated talk and "he'll be out for years" the day after the liverpool match, its exciting to know utd will have a bit of bite back in the midfield next season, assuming he'll still play in that role.

2. 5ingh

Mobster

this is what i think will happen:

ruud will leave, meaning that united will need another striker. instead of buying one they will put smith upfront instead and buy 2 new midfielders..

good news about smith though :)

3. red11

Sgarrista

I reckon Smith will be used as a striker again next season and we should get at least 2 central midfielders this summer. Hopefully Smith's return won't hamper Ferguson's already cloudy judgement that we have the players we need and one more midfielder would suffice.

very good news :)

4. booyaka

Capodecina

excellent to see him back so soon - horrible injury and a welcome return.

5. fozzybear

Sgarrista

I don't rate the guy, either as a midfielder or a striker. What has he got except for aggression? He's paceless and doesn't have any creativity!

I can see him hardly getting a game next season except as a striker in the League Cup.

6. Loki

Asus Rep

Fiestly yes.

Good in the air and a good right foot. Not the best player int he world but by no means the worse.

I think he scored something like twenty goals(all comps) in a very poor Leeds team that went down

7. IwantanewPC

Perma Banned

I think he is a decent option upfront but I don't rate him at all in midfield. Headless chicken.

If Man U want to challenge Chelsea and win things again they need to do better than Alan Smith in CM.

8. Hlebio

Perma Banned

He has been put in midfield because he is aggressive and has heart... unfortunately you need quite bit more than that to be a good CM I'm afraid.

9. red11

Sgarrista

I think he did quite well considering he is NOT a midfielder. It's stupid criticising a player who is forced to play out of position in a midfield that has had more changes and line ups than I care to remember. If anyone is to blame or people need to criticise someone look no further than the management that put him there.

He has more heart, determination and drive than any other player we've had in central midfield this season bar Keane.

Last edited: 15 May 2006
  10. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Agreed. :)

11. NokkonWud

Caporegime

I would say he had more this season, Keane was caught wandering around a number of times.

12. red11

Sgarrista

Keane also only played a handful of games before getting injured at Anfield, then leaving before his return from injury in November. But his heart, determination and drive were still there albeit in a different form. :)

13. HangTime

Man of Honour

Smith is a striker but it wouldn't suprise me to see him playing in central midfield again because MU are so weak in that area of the pitch. At the end of the season they have been playing Giggs (winger) and O'Shea (defender) there. The other alternatives are Fletcher (ahem), Scholes (past his best, can't tackle) etc.

I still reckon Rio might be able to hack a defensive midfield role (allowing Vidic & Brown(?) to play CB), but it's a bit of risk moving your best defender out of position I guess.

14. ballistic

PermaBanned

average at best striker, poor midfielder - although compared to fletcher he doesn't look too bad but so would djemba djemba. Complete waste of £10Million by ferguson, he could have bought a real midfielder for that money. He has great determinism, but not much talent.

15. NokkonWud

Caporegime

It was £7.5m and he's a great player.

16. ballistic

PermaBanned

ok £7.5Million then from a relegated side for a player with a worse goalscoring record that Emile Heskey. Signed to play as a striker, then they signed Rooney so Ferguson was forced to play him in midfielder to justify this fee, now Ferguson is looking to sign central midfielders, now that couldn't be because Smith is Oi! Watch your language! there could it?

17. NokkonWud

Caporegime

Smith is a far better striker than most clubs have and any team would have him purely for his battling abilites, strong in the air, confident from range. It's not his goals we signed him for, it's his teamwork.

18. Vandle

Mobster

In hindsight , given the unexpected Rooney transfer happened shortly after , do think Fergie still would have signed him?

19. Ripper

Capodecina

i doubt it, but i'm glad we did sign him

20. mcdermos

Wise Guy

He must've have been bought for his teamwork as he doesn't have that great a scoring record anyhow. He averaged about 1 in 5 at Leeds and in fact he has more yellow cards than he has goals.