Smith to return in September

Caporegime
Vandle said:
In hindsight , given the unexpected Rooney transfer happened shortly after , do think Fergie still would have signed him?

Very quite possibly. He's Fergies favourite kind of player, determined, passionate and a team player, much like Keane, Robson, Neville, Heinze and Rooney.

Soldato
ballistic said:
average at best striker, poor midfielder - although compared to fletcher he doesn't look too bad but so would djemba djemba. Complete waste of £10Million by ferguson, he could have bought a real midfielder for that money. He has great determinism, but not much talent.

What do you mean, a real midfielder like Veron, Kleberson, Miller, Djemba Djemba, Fletcher or Fortune?? Because these are the recent midfielders he has brought to the club.

ballistic said:
ok £7.5Million then from a relegated side for a player with a worse goalscoring record that Emile Heskey. Signed to play as a striker, then they signed Rooney so Ferguson was forced to play him in midfielder to justify this fee, now Ferguson is looking to sign central midfielders, now that couldn't be because Smith is Oi! Watch your language! there could it?

Ferguson was not forced to play Smith in midfield because we signed Rooney, Smith played in midfield because Ferguson wasn't competent enough to actually buy a world class midfielder before Keane left and had no other choice but to look at our squad and pick a player who would fight for the team. And that's exactly what Smith did for us. I don't rate him as a midfielder because he is NOT a midfielder. And as for his goal scoring record I agree with you, he's not exactly prolific but he more than makes up for that with assisting other players goals and creating chances.

Ferguson is looking to buy midfielders not because of Smith but because of his own poor decision making in the past regarding the midfield.

Soldato
ballistic said:
average at best striker, poor midfielder - although compared to fletcher he doesn't look too bad but so would djemba djemba. Complete waste of £10Million by ferguson, he could have bought a real midfielder for that money. He has great determinism, but not much talent.

Smith is a good player.

He was a good player at Leeds and he has been a good player for us.

ANYBODY who tries to cut Robbie Savage in half with a flying studs up tackle is deserving of as much praise as you can muster.

Anybody who, after disentangling himself from trying to cut Robbie savage in half with a flying studs up tackle goes on to call Robbie Savage a "******* ****" and kicks him again, well he should have a statue put up TBH.

Soldato
atpbx said:
Smith is a good player.

He was a good player at Leeds and he has been a good player for us.

ANYBODY who tries to cut Robbie Savage in half with a flying studs up tackle is deserving of as much praise as you can muster.

Anybody who, after disentangling himself from trying to cut Robbie savage in half with a flying studs up tackle goes on to call Robbie Savage a "******* ****" and kicks him again, well he should have a statue put up TBH.
when was this?i missed that!!! :(
anyone wanna upload it onto youtube or something?i wanna see :)

Permabanned
Tony Soprano said:
What do you mean, a real midfielder like Veron, Kleberson, Miller, Djemba Djemba, Fletcher or Fortune?? Because these are the recent midfielders he has brought to the club.

I wouldn't call Miller, Djemba, Fletcher real midfielders, in fact I wouldn't even call them footballers. Fortune is an average player at best. Kleberson can't hack it in the premiership, Veron can't handle the fast pace and needs a few minutes on the ball to be dangerous like he gets in the Italian league.

Tony Soprano said:
Ferguson was not forced to play Smith in midfield because we signed Rooney, Smith played in midfield because Ferguson wasn't competent enough to actually buy a world class midfielder before Keane left and had no other choice but to look at our squad and pick a player who would fight for the team. And that's exactly what Smith did for us. I don't rate him as a midfielder because he is NOT a midfielder.

yes I agree.

Tony Soprano said:
Ferguson is looking to buy midfielders not because of Smith but because of his own poor decision making in the past regarding the midfield.

well perhaps Smith was just a short term solution to central midfield and Ferguson knew it all along.

Associate
As a leeds utd fan, i recon that most teams should have at least one alan smith playing for them. In a era when a lot of players are gutless mercinaries, only interested in looking good on the pitch and earning mega bucks, alan smith shines through as an exception.

i agree that he's not the best or most popular player ever. sometimes the football he plays isn't too pretty to watch. But without question, he'll always give you 110% and play for the team to win. he's brave, hard working, unselfish and dedicated. I think those are admirable qualities that more players should have.

sure you can win games with 11 players playing sexy football, each of which doesn't care about the club or their team mates and is just out there to look good and hopefully catch the eye of scouts who'll give them a £20m sponsorship deal and transfer to real madrid.

As a supporter though, i'd rather have 9 alan smiths on the pitch (obviously 2 of these alan smith clones would have been red carded early in the match!). You'd win every match!

check out this video i found on google anyway. there's some "interesting" tackles and a few top notch goals. :D

clicky

I think when he got sent off playing for england summed up his attitude best. He was sent off in injury time and got slated in the press the next day. However, in my eyes, he was the only player making an effort, as everyone else was walking around the pitch resigned for a 2 all draw. Getting sent off was unfortunate, but i applauded his diehard attitude compared to the rest of the team, who all looked like they didn't give a ****.

I for one welcome the return of smudger, even if he does play for scum these days. :p

Back
Top Bottom