smr's Astrophotography

Soldato
Given the incredible distance away the objects you are photographing are
Are you actually photographing the object?
Or simply capturing the light that left the object a long time ago?
Ie could something you photograph actually be no longer physically there?
Guess that's more of an astrophysics question than photography lol
But always wondered about that

Indeed - https://www.discovermagazine.com/th...ion-have-been-are-being-and-will-be-destroyed

I could see the pillars through my last scope. Haven’t tried with my replacement.

Soldato

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Hi smr, sorry for late reply.

Too be honest Im struggling with it.

I was hoping to put my camera in the scope and be able to take pics of what I see, but the images so far are blurry.

I did think I was doing something wrong and made a post asking for help lol

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/help-advice-with-telescope-camera-setup.18878554/

Just had a read, I think you'd be better off buying a short widefield refractor if you intend on doing Astrophotography. Will be much easier, something like a Skywatcher ED80 or the 72ED version is considered good VFM.

Soldato
Just had a read, I think you'd be better off buying a short widefield refractor if you intend on doing Astrophotography. Will be much easier, something like a Skywatcher ED80 or the 72ED version is considered good VFM.

Thanks for reply. I've bookmarked a few from suggestions from my post, and also from ur comment above. I have been sidetracked the last few weeks using my G80 with various lens'.

Thanks again smr :)

Associate
Atrophotography is all about the mount and less about the OTA (optical tube assembly), though that is important also of course when you finally get it track well. You can put a cheap scope on a decent mount and still get reasonable results, but put the most expensive OTA ever on a cheap mount and results will be rubbish. All mid-price mounts will need to be guided in some way, either off-axis guider, guidescope, or even a webcam with long exposure mod and longer f/l lens fitted. Without guiding you will likely get trailed stars after a couple of minutes at max. My mount will operate unguided but that's another story :)

Soldato
Focus is a fun one. Most cameras can’t focus for a telescope. Plus as temperatures change as the lens and camera cool - so does the focus change.

you can use a focused (that uses short camera images + focus servos to narrow in on the focus) or You can go manual and use a Bhantov mask for your lens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahtinov_mask

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

Here's my latest image... Bodes & Cigar Galaxies, located in the constellation Ursa Major, and a whopping 12 Million Light Years from Earth.

Bodes & Cigar Galaxies by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Acquisition Details...

6 Hours 5 Minutes
81 x 120 Second Images
15 x 300 Second Images
67 x 240 Second Images

- | Equipment | -
Camera: Canon 80D (Unmodified)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro (Rowan Belt Modified)
Guide Camera: ZWO 120MM Mini
Guide Scope: Altair Starwave 50mm Guidescope

- | Image Acquisition | -
Astrophotography Tool
PHD2 Guiding Software

- | Processing | -
DeepskyStacker
Adobe Photoshop 2019

View: https://youtu.be/6qQjvKA118E

Associate

Wasn't much of a joke really because that critter didn't just do it once but many times over a couple of months. The perch offered a perfect overview of the garden from where Mr. Owl could spot his evening meal, so he kept coming back lol. I was running the scope remotely and the image capture is from a little eyepiece cam I mount on the tube so I can see where the scope is pointing.

Associate
Just about to get into this - after some tips.

Going to try and build up some decent gear.

Have ordered a Skymaster HEQ5 Pro and Baader regulated power supply (gonna stick to the garden for now).

Before I get a dedicated refractor scope, will start with my Canon 5D Mk ii and 70-200 F2.8L with a 1.4x tele convertor.

Hope I'm on the right path, but would appreciate some tips from any persons in the know (which software to use, exposure times, filters etc).

I'm competent with a camera, and love astronomy, so thought I'd take the plunge and mix the two!

Back
Top Bottom