Snapdragon 845 announced, is a bit of a beast

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/06/qualcomm-snapdragon-845/

TL;DR version

- 4K HDR 60fps video recording with a new ISP that does UHD Premium. So 10-bit colour, with 10,0000nits brightness variation for every shade of every colour.
- Low light images will have even lower noise than what current phones have as the new ISP takes 60 16MP photos and compares them for noise.
- New image chip also supports advanced depth sensing for more accurate bokeh and effects.
- New dedicated AI chip for XR/AR/VR.
- Dedicated security SoC that runs on its own. This will handle iris scanning, 3D facial scanning, NFC payments and the like.

2018 is going to be a strong year for flagship phones.

I thought only Samsung would be sticking to iris scanning (I prefer this over finger/face unlock as it works really well and is more convenient to me than any of the others). Nice to see that side of things elsewhere, as it opens up 2018 phone upgrade options.

Caporegime
I thought only Samsung would be sticking to iris scanning (I prefer this over finger/face unlock as it works really well and is more convenient to me than any of the others). Nice to see that side of things elsewhere, as it opens up 2018 phone upgrade options.

I have found the iris scanner to be hit and miss so far especially in low/no light. Just seems too fiddly to get working. When it does work though, it is very quick and better than the fingerprint.

Any tips???

I loathe using the fingerprint scanner on the gs8 due to always touching the camera lens :mad:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Do you have blue or green eyes?

If so then that might be why, as blue/green eyes aren't as easily detected by infrared sensors. The iris scanner fires an IR beam at your face, so it works in pitch darkness.

My eyes are brown and seems to unlock the moment the screen turns on in all but the sunniest of conditions outdoors.

Caporegime
Do you have blue or green eyes?

If so then that might be why, as blue/green eyes aren't as easily detected by infrared sensors. The iris scanner fires an IR beam at your face, so it works in pitch darkness.

My eyes are brown and seems to unlock the moment the screen turns on in all but the sunniest of conditions outdoors.

Sort of green eyes.

Guess that might be why then!

Also, not 100% sure but I think it might be causing my eyes to strain a bit, noticed samsung give a warning about this before turning it on.....

Guess I am destined to have a smudged camera lens then :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Just use pattern lock in that case by the time you've fumbled to reach the fingerprint sensor in its ridiculous position, you'd be on your homescreen already having entered the pattern :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Samsung devices have had it for a while with KNOX. But it's good to see a broader rollout of hardware based security, and one that's got machine learning/AI no less.

Associate
I have found the iris scanner to be hit and miss so far especially in low/no light. Just seems too fiddly to get working. When it does work though, it is very quick and better than the fingerprint.

Any tips???

I loathe using the fingerprint scanner on the gs8 due to always touching the camera lens :mad:

In my experience with my S8+ and Note8 the iris scanner works best when your in a darker environment. The brighter it is the less effective it got.
Hate the finger print scanner on my S8+ that I didnt bother setting it up on my Note8.

Back
Top Bottom