SNAPPED (Monitor testing)

Associate
Im currently working away and im filling my downtime periods with reading monitor reviews. I cant take it anymore, people are just contradicting each other and i no longer know what or who to believe. My questions and my purpose of creating this thread is; Where can i go to test out monitors for myself and make my own decision? I know currys have a few to look at but not many. I want a 1440p monitor to initially use with an xbox one x then it will be used later this year for a gaming pc i will build with my son.

Soldato
You really have no choice other than to buy the models you're interested in from a retailer with a friendly no questions asked return policy, and try them out at home. You won't find any retailer that has ALL the monitors you're likely to be interested in on display... and even if you did, you'd be viewing them in lighting conditions vastly different to those you have at home.

Man of Honour
I can't help too much as I'm no expert. But I'd suggest listing the really important specs here, along with budget, and you'll get a few opinions.

e..g

Must haves:
27"
1440p
100mhz+
IPS
Ultrawide, curved

Nice to have:
USB-A
USB-C

Uses:
Gaming 80% of the time

GPU = GTX 1070 but will be upgrading in 1 to 2 years

Budget = £

If you make sure you list your really key needs then I'm sure someone here will be able to recommend a few to look at more closely.

Associate
Im currently working away and im filling my downtime periods with reading monitor reviews. I cant take it anymore, people are just contradicting each other and i no longer know what or who to believe.

Well, stop comparing the sites against each other for one. Of course people will see/test/comment things differently. Nature of the beast. You should consider where a particular reviewer/site thinks one monitor is better than another within its own site … then that way, the reviewer is a common factor, and so the performance differences are more valid.

Perhaps a slightly different approach would be see whether you can get hands on with a monitor, and compare your opinions with reviewer opinions. If they are similar, then you can trust that reviewer.

Soldato
There are plenty of good monitors around, but none are perfect, there is a trade-off with every type of panel, TN, IPS and VA. As suggested draw up a list of what you need/want and your budget and go from there. There is a limit to the amount of research you can do before it becomes going-around-in-circles. I spent probably 20 hours researching, reading reviews watching videos etc and in the end finished up with my original choice, but satisfied i'd made the right choice. My monitor arrived and the things I could not control (ie the panel lottery) came down in my favour.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and order something, I'd suggest that if you accept that trade-offs are a fact of life you're very likely to be happy with your new monitor, panel lottery notwithstanding.

Back
Top Bottom