Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Hi All

Anyone able to point me towards some useful independent chalet finder websites? Of course, other than Crystal, Neilsen , Inghams etc.

I'm looking to book a late availability chalet for 3 of us at the end of Feb - we just usually gun it round the mountain so big long runs are ideal :)

Many thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Just ordered a Korua Shapes cafe racer to add to the quiver (also some nitro phantom carvers). Excited for this one. Mostly ride Jones Flagship and Hovercrafts, so this should fit in nicely as a piste orientated carver. Also have a mountain twin but that doesn't get ridden much.

Soldato
Heading to Mayrhofen for a week tomorrow, conditions look awesome. After that straight to Sestriere for another week.

I am rather excited right about now.

Associate
Just ordered a Korua Shapes cafe racer to add to the quiver (also some nitro phantom carvers). Excited for this one. Mostly ride Jones Flagship and Hovercrafts, so this should fit in nicely as a piste orientated carver. Also have a mountain twin but that doesn't get ridden much.
Enjoy the Korua Shapes - I was interested in a Tranny Finder for a trip to japan last year, but as I have a good discount with Salomon, I got was lured to a SickStick instead (and then Salomon sent me a HPS board on my return from Japan, so couldn't really complain). Still kinda wanted to try a Koroua Shapes board over there in proper pow - especially after a couple mates demo'd some Gentemstick boards while in Niseko (and all I could hear was praise).

Man of Honour
Enjoy the Korua Shapes - I was interested in a Tranny Finder for a trip to japan last year, but as I have a good discount with Salomon, I got was lured to a SickStick instead (and then Salomon sent me a HPS board on my return from Japan, so couldn't really complain). Still kinda wanted to try a Koroua Shapes board over there in proper pow - especially after a couple mates demo'd some Gentemstick boards while in Niseko (and all I could hear was praise).

Gentemsticks are great. My pal bought a big fish when we were in Niseko some years back and I've ridden that a bit. Lovely boards. That's a beast and carries speed well. I have a first year jones hovercraft (which I'm pretty sure was inspired by gentem's manta ray although has less tail) that is my goto powder board and was ridden every day in Japan and comes out whenever there is a dump. The flagship rides powder great though with all its rocker.

Personally I really love the 156 hovercraft in the trees in Japan where the big fish (168 or something like that) was a bit more unwieldy. I really want to try some of the Korua powder specific shapes but what I was missing really was a pure carver hence the cafe racer. i don't think the shape would be great in deep snow. Still they are good value so if I like I may pick up another. Quite fancy the split tranny finder.

Slickstick looks like a nice ride.

Associate
Speaking of Japan, the season has been absolutely pants this year so far. We've had a few good days here and there, but loads of mild temps ruining everything. I feel bad for some of the people who've come here as they've spent so much.

Storm coming in Sunday though, so please please give us something.

Man of Honour
Speaking of Japan, the season has been absolutely pants this year so far. We've had a few good days here and there, but loads of mild temps ruining everything. I feel bad for some of the people who've come here as they've spent so much.

Storm coming in Sunday though, so please please give us something.

Is that the same all over Japan?

Associate
Is that the same all over Japan?

Resorts on the main island have had it worse. I saw some pictures last week from a colleague in Hakuba and some parts lower down were still bare. I think they’ve had some snow the last few days so hopefully it’s turning around.

Up in Hokkaido we’ve had enough that everything is open, but with the terrible grooming here in Niseko and the constant fluctuating temps, there’s not much of a base on the pistes.

This is my 8th season here and, even though we’ve had peaks and troughs, it feels like we’re on an overall downward spiral.

Man of Honour
Wow what a bummer. We're planning a Niseko jaunt next year couldn't mobilise people thus year but I guess that was fortunate as it would have been for this week or next. Hope you get some good dumps soon. I've only ridden 4 days so far this year which is rubbish.

Associate
Wow what a bummer. We're planning a Niseko jaunt next year couldn't mobilise people thus year but I guess that was fortunate as it would have been for this week or next. Hope you get some good dumps soon. I've only ridden 4 days so far this year which is rubbish.

How long would you be coming for?

Associate
We did about 8 days in Niseko last time would prob be similar

If you're not fussed about bars and nightlife, I'd probably recommend going elsewhere these days. Plenty of other good resorts to go to in Hokkaido where the riding is still great, but you don't need to put up with quite so many tourists and ridiculous pricing for everything.

Man of Honour
Sounds good, we though we may do a bit more visting other resorts and grab a guide for some split boarding and stuff this time. Where would you suggest?

Associate
Associate
Sounds good, we though we may do a bit more visting other resorts and grab a guide for some split boarding and stuff this time. Where would you suggest?

Pretty much all of the main resorts in Hokkaido are worth a visit, so depending on how you are getting around and what you're looking for, any of the below would be good:

Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Teine, Kokusai, Furano, Asahidake etc.

Between Niseko and Otaru there's a lot of other good backcountry areas, although with no lift access at all (Kurodake, Chisenupuri). All worth doing, but with a guide if you're not familiar with the areas.

Niseko Harmony Resorts can do one, along with most of the other operators in town. They're milking the area for as much as they can, while giving virtually nothing back. It's all good building 5 new hotels every summer, but what about guest infrastructure, or services for the people who actually live here.

Trying to drive through town in the morning or early evening is a nightmare now and it's not uncommon to see queues going all the way through. Whoever let these developments go up with no parking should be fired.

I'm pretty sick of all the companies looking out for themselves, not wanting to do any favours or help anyone out. When something like the tsunami or financial crash happens though, it's all "what can we do together".

No one cared about pricing all the Australians out, because Hong Kong and Singapore were happy to come in and pay the ridiculous prices. They market it as one of the best ski destinations in the world, and while when the snow is good, there's not many places like it, in reality it has a long way to go.

A plague of, at best, 3 star hotels staffed by kids doing seasons, but marketed and priced like the best thing in the world.

Rant over.

Soldato
I just confirmed a trip to Tignes in the middle of March, woohoo! Question, is now a good time for jacket deals? I've seen some Picture Organic jackets on sale. Not with a huge amount off. Is now classed as the 'mid-season' sale or will there be more to come? :)

Man of Honour
Probably more to come but there is always previous season stuff at good prices if you look around.

Having said that I recently bought a load of Picture stuff at RRP cost it was shiney and nice.

Associate
I just confirmed a trip to Tignes in the middle of March, woohoo! Question, is now a good time for jacket deals? I've seen some Picture Organic jackets on sale. Not with a huge amount off. Is now classed as the 'mid-season' sale or will there be more to come? :)

Tignes is an awesome resort, been 4 times. Picture gear is generally quite expensive and doesn't see huge discounts like some of the other gear. That being said I really like their stuff and have two jackets which I cannot fault and still look like new after a few years of use.

Always found the cheapest stuff during summer months.

Off to Les Arcs in a couple of weeks :D

Back
Top Bottom