Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

fez

fez

Caporegime
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ng-charmonix-france-french-alps-a9364896.html

Good Dad! Must have been really scary for the kid. We've had a few avalanche incidents in Hokkaido this season, more so than usual. A man from Sapporo died on Mt Yotei 2 days after I went up. He was on his own though, a risk that turned out to not be worth it.

Bad dad, you don't let an 11 year old go anywhere on their own and you don't make general rules that you are OK if the kid breaks. He is so so lucky that his child is still alive and it would have been his fault if he wasn't.

daz

daz

Soldato
Just back from my week of skiing in Val d'isere! What an incredible experience! I'd been to the snow centre a few times so I could get my skis on, and snow plough turn and stop but I also booked private lessons for 3 days I was away too. Ended up happy on blues on day 3 and then by the last day we went up on the grand motte glacier and did a couple of the easier red runs which I was really pleased with. Can't wait to go back now. :D

Soldato
Came back from three valleys yesterday which was probably my last trip of this season.

Everything is just better there. Love it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Planning a week in france or austria in a week and a half but waiting until the last minute to make sure we don't get cancelled on unexpectedly. Fingers crossed for cheap prices and no people!

Associate
Came back from Alpe D'Huez last weekend - was a mixed week of 6 foot visibility and bad wind 1 day and pretty good powder the next, rinse and repeat. Probably some of the best powder I've ridden in the Alps in a good few years (to the point I was annoyed I took a park board and not a powder one).

Flight back was a bit subdued/odd with the virus panic.

Got/had a family week away to St Anton leaving next sat, but this evening I've seen it's closing for the season this weekend. So, now I need to get a refund and work out if it's worth trying anything else. It's a shame, but in some respects it's good to know it's not going to happen instead of the "will it, won't it" uncertainty over the last few days. My kid has only just started nursery ~5 weeks ago, so we've all had on/off colds for the last 4 weeks, so I was half fearing being turned away at the airport anyway...

beh

beh

Associate
Heard the news just before arriving in Brides Les Bains yesterday eve. Quelle surprise.

Annoying that the French resorts just shrugged on Friday, having to travel here to be sure of a refund. Not looking forward to long coach journey back tomorrow.

Soldato
Just got back from Bankso with my workmates and it seems it was very good timing as it's touch and go whether they'll close the resort. Also good timing as they'd had terrible snow and then had a massive 2 day dump just after we arrived, followed by some true bluebird days, skiing through the odd cloud.

Broke my new boots in with some nice Fischer RC4's I hired and had a very productive 6 days on the snow. When I arrived last year in January I'd never skied, but after 6 days there, 2.5 days in Austria and 0.5 days in an indoor slope since, these 6 days I:
- realised how much difference a well-fitting boot makes (as well as skis that respond to good technique)
- actually got onto my edges and made some half decent carved turns
- relaxed and separated upper body clicked a bit more
- skied every run in the resort without any nerves, including the black runs
- started to get the hang of doing flat 360s
- can ski bumps a bit better
- got to watch some pro women do slalom practice on the Tomba (the big black run), so inspiring seeing people appear to effortlessly get super high edge angles and get almost horizontal

Pretty damn happy and addicted to this sport!

Does anyone have some good recs for a hardshell jacket? Even though my regular jacket isn't heavily insulated, that + my base layer made me sweat half my bodyweight away on the warm days so I need something thinner if I do anything next March.

Soldato
Aaaaand just got carried away and bought one of the last few retail pairs of 2019-2020 Head Supershape i.Speed skis - can worry about buying poles and a case later but now my boots and helmet have company!

Man of Honour
Game over. First world problems I know but have only done about 11-12 days this year, will be least snowboarding I have done for at least 15 years.

Soldato
i.Speeds arrived! God knows when I’ll actually get to try them out but in the meantime I’ll just stare at them admiringly and laugh at how they have a visible circuit chip at the back of each ski (KERS). Need some poles now and a case - thinking of getting a Sportube because I like the idea of a proper protective shell given how often I’ve seen baggage handlers launching stuff.

(KERS)The K.E.R.S. (or Kinetic Energy Release System) is one of the technologies found on these skis. What is it? It’s a “chip” (not like a computer chip) that stores kinetic energy caused by flexing the ski and releases this energy at the end of the turn by stiffening the tails. Here’s how it works. When you start carving and enter a turn the ski bends and creates kinetic energy. This power is stored in the chip. At the end of your turn, when the forces applied to the skis start diminishing, the chip releases the stored energy into fibers along the tail. This stiffens them and gives you a small boost into your next turn.

Associate
i.Speeds arrived! God knows when I’ll actually get to try them out but in the meantime I’ll just stare at them admiringly and laugh at how they have a visible circuit chip at the back of each ski (KERS). Need some poles now and a case - thinking of getting a Sportube because I like the idea of a proper protective shell given how often I’ve seen baggage handlers launching stuff.
Head did/does the same with their snowboards - a chip visible to "store and release the energy built up by flexing the board". Erm... batteries and capacitors store and release charge, not a chip... so I've always called it marketing BS. The materials, design and build of the board will likely influence the ride more than a chip moulded into the fiberglass.

Enjoy the new toys when you can - I'm sure they'll be great, but I'm unsure if it's those chips...

Soldato
I primarily got them because they’re on the approved list for the particular school of ski technique I’m interested in, as the design is conducive for executing said technique more efficiently due to things like the very narrow waist of the ski.

Goals:

I was going to wait but alas Head’s 2020-2021 skis are apparently a turn for the worse and these were on sale, so grabbed them at a nice discount before they were gone, since the other recommended skis are a lot harder to get in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom