Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Jelly.

Got a Douchebag reduced by £95 to carry my gear for next year’s jaunts but otherwise have forgotten about the slopes, although summer is a good time here to go to the indoor places as it’s cheap and usually very quiet.

Soldato
Leki Trigger S gloves acquired in the sales for my poles - got a touring pair for those above-freezing spring days and a normal warm pair for sub-zero, both with the BOA system so you can adjust the tightness to a fine degree. Their sizing is a bit weird too, had to go down from what their chart says I should be, but then I do have short stubby fingers.

Will probably get some super-warm ones too at some point if I ever plan on going somewhere lethally cold.

s1ic1WY.jpg

Also tried my Head iSpeeds out at Hemel the other day and felt like a noob all over again! I thought I’d be right at home on them straight away, but it was the exact opposite, really unforgiving of bad technique...

Soldato
Anyone copped some good stuff in the sales?

I have an insulated jacket and pants as is typical for a first-timer that I’ve had for my first 2 seasons, but they’ll only be used for indoor now as between SportPursuit and a couple of other places I managed to get hold of an Elevenate Gore Tex Pro shell jacket + pants for colder/wetter/snowier weather, and for spring skiing a Black Diamond softshell jacket and some Vaude hybrid pants (softshell w/hardshell seat, knees and lower leg) with everything 50-60% off.

Goggles next. Photochromic lens worth it? Going to see if I can get something like the Smith ones where you get dual lens where one covers white-out to cloudy days and one covers light cloud to bluebird.

Don
I've got a set of detachable lenses that cover what they call grade 0-4, I usually just ski with the photochromatic one (covers 1-3), it just about copes with ultra bright sunlight but if I know it's going to be a bluebird I pop the grade 4 lens on which a proper mirrored lens. The grade 0 lens is totally clear to give you an idea of the range and I've never used it.

Associate
I love my photochromic lens. It's a Salomon one and sounds like it's the opposite of Jokester's - it's great in med to bright light, but it's not as good as a proper low light lens for white-outs.

Would I get photochromic again, yup. Would I get Salomon again, nope... there lens fastening system is v flawed and weak - there's 3 clips that are mounted to the lens, and they seem v prone to snapping off (and making it impossible to fit). My goggles came with photochromic and low-light lens, after hiking and sweating up the posh lens, I thought I'd swap over to find the clips on the brand new spare were broken. Ordered a warranty replacement and that turned up broken too, so 3rd time lucky...

Prior to them I've used Smith IO for years and found them good (I've also got a pair of Dragon APX and Electric something or other kicking about).

Looking at mate's goggles from the past season or 2 - I think the Anon magnetic clip-on lenses are amazing. No need to mess about with latches or clips, just pull off the lens and snap on a new one. honestly, well worth looking at them.

Soldato
Yeah from reading Anon have the best lens changing mechanism, but Smith isn’t far behind with their Mag range, and seem to top comparison reviews out as far as the being the overall best. I suppose ideally you’d want a lens that’d cover everything from bad (if visibility was truly atrocious I probably wouldn’t be out in it) to ok, then one for blazing bright days.

I currently have the SunGod Vanguards with the all-rounder Smoke lens (polarised), which do the job but the upgrade-itis is ever present and they seem a bit behind tech-wise now as far as ventilation/fogging, lens quality etc.

Man of Honour
I have an old set of electric goggles with a very low light lens that I have in my pack. Then an all round oakley flight deck iridiu, set which get worn most of the time and have really broad range. Since I ride with a pack almost all the time doesn't bother me doing it that way and saves buggering about with them. Means always having a spare as well in case of any issue.

Associate
Covid + Brexit = end of uk chalet holidays???

https://planetski.eu/2020/09/09/crystal-ski-holidays-axes-entire-chalet-programme-for-next-winter/

Crystal (UK's biggest chalet operator) cancels all its chalet holidays... I've mentioned it before on here, possibly even this topic, that the UK chalet industry is reliant on UK workers being able to be paid via UK accounts and working as part of EU free movement/trade. With Brexit there were a lot of questions overhanging how it would continue, especially with the unknowns of a no-deal exit. So, I guess it's easier to pull out now if bookings are very low and there's no clearly defined Brexit agreement.

Wonder if other chalet companies will follow?

Also makes me wonder what's going to happen to lift pass (and all local) prices this winter (and going forwards). Some resorts have already mentioning a distancing requirement on lifts (requiring empty seats between different groups) thus potentially massively reducing capacity, and cleaning the lifts after use, slowing them down. This means the slope capacity will need to be dramatically cut, while possibly employing more people. So, will lift passes shoot up in price to cover this, and any lost earnings for last season ending early? Same goes with restaurants and local shops - less people/capacity will likely mean higher prices. I can see it becoming a more and more elite sport in EU, after being quite accessible for the last 10+ years.

Soldato
I suppose the counter is the resorts really can't afford an empty season if they price everyone out of it so they'll be under a lot of pressure to figure out practical solutions to get bums on chairlifts. I'm trying to be optimistic but certainly things like insurance might be less than ideal for the 20-21 season.

Man of Honour
Covid + Brexit = end of uk chalet holidays???

https://planetski.eu/2020/09/09/crystal-ski-holidays-axes-entire-chalet-programme-for-next-winter/

Crystal (UK's biggest chalet operator) cancels all its chalet holidays... I've mentioned it before on here, possibly even this topic, that the UK chalet industry is reliant on UK workers being able to be paid via UK accounts and working as part of EU free movement/trade. With Brexit there were a lot of questions overhanging how it would continue, especially with the unknowns of a no-deal exit. So, I guess it's easier to pull out now if bookings are very low and there's no clearly defined Brexit agreement.

Wonder if other chalet companies will follow?

Also makes me wonder what's going to happen to lift pass (and all local) prices this winter (and going forwards). Some resorts have already mentioning a distancing requirement on lifts (requiring empty seats between different groups) thus potentially massively reducing capacity, and cleaning the lifts after use, slowing them down. This means the slope capacity will need to be dramatically cut, while possibly employing more people. So, will lift passes shoot up in price to cover this, and any lost earnings for last season ending early? Same goes with restaurants and local shops - less people/capacity will likely mean higher prices. I can see it becoming a more and more elite sport in EU, after being quite accessible for the last 10+ years.

It's an interesting point re UK chalet companies but I don't know enough about the ramifications to take a view on that.

Re the lift pricing I would be surprised if they significantly push prices. They may very well significantly reduce capacity. I work as an analyst in the theme park industry and there is a lot of similarity in park operations and mountains in terms of capacity management, business model and so on. Compagnie des Alps is one of the biggest park operators and ski resort operator. What we've seen in parks around Europe as they have opened this summer is that they have had significantly reduce on site capacity to allow social distancing in queues and to some degree on certain rides. They haven't though taken it as an opportunity to push price, they've generally made pre-booking a requirements and have tried to push people to less busy times with promotions. I suspect ski resorts will do similar. I think they will also have reduced demand to deal with as many people defer trips this winter (and who knows where we will be in terms of ability to travel).

Caporegime
There is some linearity with # skiers snd operating costs, which is why mega resorts with 100lifts are often the same price as a small 20 lift resort. What may happen is some lifts simply wont operate to reduce costs. chairlifts will be favored over gondalas.

Also note tjat most ski resorts in Europe operste on a loss as a non-profit, subsidized by the resort from local tourist taxes. Massive lift prices dont work under this system. It is more effective to put hotels and drink costs up and keep the lift price constant. This is why you get these mega season passes that cover loads of resorts really cheap.

i buy the Magic pass for 300CHF and i get a while season in dozens of resorts that would normally charge 40-90CHF a day. Already used s lot in the summer for hiking with the kids.

Soldato
I really need to stop spending money on ski stuff, got massive savings on 3 sets of merino base layers in 3 thicknesses for spring, regular, colder conditions and all my clothing is now colour coordinated (I'm such a tart!) with my boots and skis.

What sort of mid-layers are people here using? It seems handy to have some different thicknesses of micro-fleece depending on conditions but unlike merino bases (sweat-wicking, won't reek after a day) or a good 3L membrane (waterproof/windproof) it doesn't seem like you have to spend nearly as much to get something capable given it's job is primarily warmth and to trap air between layers.

Back
Top Bottom