So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Soldato
My roborock S5 max will be delivered tomorrow. So sad that i'm excited.

The mopping on this bot does look pretty good. Adjustable water flow and the mopping pad is spring loaded to keep constant firm pressure on the floor.

Soldato
The mopping is good but doesn't work well for anything that's on the floor good. You can use cleaner in with the water tank (manual says you shouldn't) but don't use anything like Dettol as it turns milky and blocks fittings up.

Caporegime
OP
Guys, my years of using robot vacuum cleaners and mops etc have led me to the following truths that as a houseprud man I now swear by:
  1. Use a decent programmable (with scheduling functions and peristent and configurable maps) robot vacuum cleaner for your regular hoovering needs, they will do 90% of what you need. I have the Roborock S6.
  2. Buy a cordless vacuum cleaner with motorhead for everything that the robot cleaner misses or cannot clean. I have a Dyson v6 that I bought ages ago but there are tons on the market now.
  3. For mopping, buy a steam mop. There is no other solution if you want spotlessly clean and hygenic floors with such minimal manual effort. Even the best Robot cleaners cannot mop worth a damn compared to a steam mop. Steam mops are imo essential for any household. I have a BLACK & DECKER 17-in-1 that can clean almost anything with its various attachments and I would not now be without it or a similar alternative.
There... that's it. I have identified nothing else that I can buy to improve the cleaning in my apartment. The only thing I now need is for someone to invent something that keeps dust under control in the surfaces of my furniture. Tat is the only thing that I can think of that I now actually need to fill any gap. :)

Associate
I’m in the Robot Vac Club! We have an i7+ arriving tomorrow.

Been watching the price come down so couldn’t resist.

Any other i7+ owners on here?

Soldato

Be interested to see what you think of it, and how good its collection bin feature is.

My Xiaomi Mi 1st gen is still one of the best gizmos I've ever bought, and with the software upgrades to allow zone cleaning, very useful!

Be interested to know how powerful the I7+ software is.

Associate
Arrived quite early and looks good.

Cant setup until Wednesday after we’ve had some new carpet fitted. So it’s just sitting there at the moment.

The tower is smaller than I thought which is a bonus. Looking forward to setting it up.

Be interested to see what you think of it, and how good its collection bin feature is.

My Xiaomi Mi 1st gen is still one of the best gizmos I've ever bought, and with the software upgrades to allow zone cleaning, very useful!

Be interested to know how powerful the I7+ software is.

Associate
Out of interest, how many years service are people getting out of their Robo cleaners?

I’ve got a Xiaomi/Roborock S50 and have used it daily for 2.5 years, 1092 cleanups to be precise. It has only broken once, where I had to replace a sensor which was very easily done. Genuinely one of the best and most useful things I’ve ever bought.

Associate
The little fella is going back.

After initial setup he worked out of the box. Then failed for subsequent cleans. Complains of a docking issue.

Rebooted, he works for the first run, then fails for subsequent cleans. Complains of a docking issue.

Takes an hour plus to do four rooms when he does work then needs to recharge. Not a problem because I was going to schedule overnight.

Disappointed with the docking issue, so deliberating on whether to ask for a replacement or not.

Otherwise, the cleaning seemed pretty good. However with 3 kids under the age of 5 and not remembering to pick up toys and other bits before bedtime may end up problematic.

Soldato
Got a Deebot T8 AIVI for cheap from the USA not out here yet unless you pay a fortune for one from Germany on ebay. So far really impressed with it does the whole ground floor of the house quickly and does not seem to miss to many corners and the camera avoided all the obstacles :D. Mopping so far is not that impressive but I did not expect it to be amazing. Just need to try grab the auto empty bin and the oscillating mopping pad addon for it now cheap.

IMG-3324.jpg

Soldato
Update after a few days the avoidance of obstacles is great and mopping is a bit better as turned the water to max in app and also turned the vacuumed power to ultra high and get it to do the whole ground floor twice and only used about quarter battery if that as I have a small house. Picked up allot of stuff from the floors so very impressed with the cleaning ability, so much so I reckon i might only have to use the big shark once a week or two. Mopping again the pads get dirty so it does pick up things but I'm going to try very lightly misting the floor with cleaning fluid to maybe make it so I need to steam mop only once every fortnight.

Soldato
I've got a Xiaomi S50 upstairs and an S55 downstairs.

Had them both in use 6 days a week for just over two years now. Between them they have:

1,121 Cleaning Sessions
310 Operating Hours (13 days)
17,806 Square Meters Cleaned (11 square miles)

Been very reliable and I have enough spare filters and brushes to go on for many years if they're up to the job.

Caporegime
Ive had a Roborock S5 Max for about a month now and its quite possible the best thing i've ever bought since and including the upgrading to SSDs storage and the mind blowing jump to 512k ADSL internet before that. :p

I dont know why i didnt get one of these years ago.....

Associate
Can I ask how these robot vacuums do on hard floors with rugs?

I always imagine they wouldn't be able to sweep up the dust, etc that seems to get stuck at the edges of the rug on the hard floor.

Also, do you have to have an immaculately tidy floor space everywhere or can they move around children's shoes etc?

Soldato
Hi, This was why I went for the AI camera robot and I have been slowly leaving more things on the floor each day while it does auto clean to see how it handles cables, slippers rugs chairs etc. So far it has not got stuck once now to the point where I do not bother lifting anything out the way before bed. When I come down and I'm awake every few days I whack it on max clean the area of obstacles etc as it avoids those parts it cannot get to then tell it to go deep clean the missed areas seems to work well. I cannot get over how much this little guy picks up meaning when I have only been hoovering once every few days no wonder I sneeze etc as have a dust allergy. I'm sneezing less now so that is a bonus.

I have a tiled kitchen and laminate hall with a long carpet runner it seems to get most of the dust at the sides etc as watching it work it tends to drive around the sides of the rug so gets most of it but every days I just lift the rug and attach the mop pad and water and then it hoovers and mops as well. So go for an AI camera one and you dont need to move stuff if you dont want to basically.

Back
Top Bottom