So, fibre cable laid to door, what happens next?

Soldato
Last Friday CityFibre laid their cable to outside the door of my block of flats. What happens next?

I'm assuming I will get a letter at some point asking me to pay squillions for gigabit internet, but how long will it be?

Associate
The product is currently exclusive to Vodafone and is called Gigafast, it took around 6-7 months for my address to go live on the Vodafone Gigafast website. They finished around christmas 2019 and I've got the install booked for this coming Friday although some people in my area have been able to order sooner.

Have a look on Vodafone's website for pricing although seems to be down for maintenance at the moment.

Caporegime
The freeholder of your building needs to have given permission for internal construction work to proceed. I suggest you make contact with CityFibre directly and then you can apply pressure to the building owner if necessary.

Soldato
Similar question here:
We had Openreach engineers going all round our estate throughout last week, and one of them told me they were checking all the connections preparatory to installing FTTP (we currently have FTTC). But I've no idea what to expect to happen next.

Soldato
Similar question here:
We had Openreach engineers going all round our estate throughout last week, and one of them told me they were checking all the connections preparatory to installing FTTP (we currently have FTTC). But I've no idea what to expect to happen next.

Dates are a bit hazy for me, but Openreach started the install on my street in December 2019. In April 2020 the Openreach fibre checker showed that FTTP was available. Mid May, BT started taking orders so I put my order in on 17/5 with an install booked for 6/7. A few days later an Openreach engineer knocked at the door and asked if he could pull the fibre through the ducting in advance of the booked install. When he left there was a coil of fibre by the front door.

On 6/7 the install was finished off. A grey junction box was installed on the front of the house and a fibre ran around and into the study where the ONT was installed. From memory the engineer was here for about 45 minutes.

Soldato
Thanks. :)

Looking at Openreach's own site, they've got nothing within miles of Congleton for FTTP on their map. So it seems like this survey might still be years ahead of them actually doing any work.

The only thing I can think of which might explain why they were thinking of working in Congleton earlier is that we have a ridiculous amount of new build estates going up, and I know they have a general plan to install FTTP from the kick off in such situations - maybe they've decided they might as well deal with the entire town at the same time.

Associate
Thanks. :)

Looking at Openreach's own site, they've got nothing within miles of Congleton for FTTP on their map. So it seems like this survey might still be years ahead of them actually doing any work.

The only thing I can think of which might explain why they were thinking of working in Congleton earlier is that we have a ridiculous amount of new build estates going up, and I know they have a general plan to install FTTP from the kick off in such situations - maybe they've decided they might as well deal with the entire town at the same time.

I had the email from BT Internet to tell me I can now order FTTP. Our estate is not one of the new ones, we are up at the West Heath end of town. It does seem likely that you will have the fibre installed soon, if not already.

Soldato
I had the email from BT Internet to tell me I can now order FTTP. Our estate is not one of the new ones, we are up at the West Heath end of town. It does seem likely that you will have the fibre installed soon, if not already.

Yep, you're right - I did more digging and Congleton does seem to be getting it throughout (with West Heath leading the way).

A pleasant surprise! Mind you, I haven't checked what the price difference will be yet...

Soldato
Ignore the map, it doesn't show that I'm in an FTTP area. Use the checker that I linked to rather than the map.
The postcode checker also only mentions FTTP currently.

I spotted this morning that the cover to the cable entry point on my house now has some rope sticking out of it. This is what all the workers have been doing on the estate last week - running rope to be used to pull the fibre cabling at a later date.

Associate
Yep, you're right - I did more digging and Congleton does seem to be getting it throughout (with West Heath leading the way).

A pleasant surprise! Mind you, I haven't checked what the price difference will be yet...

Looks like it is somewhere between £40 and £50 per month. Unless someone has a better supplier they can point me at?

Caporegime
All broadband products have been priced including any required line rental for a good few years now. BTs FTTP is the same - you'll get a phone service delivered either through the copper line that you have already, or as VoIP through your router, it's up to you whether you use it or not. There's no saving for not having it.

Afaik the only providers where you can get a phone service but it's optional are Hyperoptic and Virgin Media.

Associate
I am told there is no voice line and therefore no line rental. if you want voice, they advised to go to a voip gateway supplier for that (at additional cost I presume)

They also said that there will be no new land line supplied beyond 2025, but that was the first time I ever hear that.

Caporegime
Who is 'they'? The OP is talking about CityFibre, some people in the thread are talking about BT (Openreach)

Associate
I am in the same boat (i think) as the OP but i live in Bournemouth, city fiber has completed installing fiber on the street by digging up the pavements, so am waiting to see when they go live.

Soldato
it took around 6-7 months for my address to go live on the Vodafone Gigafast website.

Oh. They did my street 2 weeks ago and my internet is out of contract next month. Think it best I sign another contract for a year for a £15/month saving?

Back
Top Bottom