So has vista been sorted out?

Associate
I recieved my free Vista upgrade from Dell the other day and I was wondering if Vista has been sorted out regarding drivers and stability.

These are the programs I use: Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver MX, Office 2003, Illustrator CS, Newsbin Pro, utorrent, Quickpar, Skype, MSN, Anapod Manager

Games: Battlefield 2, Company of Heroes, STALKER

This is my hardware: Intel Duo 2 2.16, 2GB RAM, Geforce 7800 GTX 512 MB RAM, Onboard audio (Its a Dell XPS M17110)

I am going to have problems?

Soldato
Download the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor from the Microsoft website and run it. It will give you all the info you need on your system. What will work and what won't. I've been using Vista since January this year and am still using it as a main operating system.

I don't have any problems with it. Love using it can't go back to Windows XP now lol. :)

Soldato
you'll just have to try it yourself really. because as i said before , every system is different and behaves differently. one person may say it'll work ok and another person may say it won't...

Associate
i didnt know if i should go on to Vista or not, but now im on it, everything seems to be fine so far... but one thing i noticed and already knew about is that it does use up a lot of memory... about 1GB already right now....

Soldato
sugoi said:
i didnt know if i should go on to Vista or not, but now im on it, everything seems to be fine so far... but one thing i noticed and already knew about is that it does use up a lot of memory... about 1GB already right now....

As been mentioned a lot, its supposed to use all your ram. Whats the point in having unused memory :) Vista uses all your mem to get things ready it thinks you might need. If any app (say a game) needs more it will instantly unload the mem for it.

As for the orginal question, I've had no problems. And not used XP (dual boot) in over a month. The biggest problem at the start was the nvidia drivers, but the last couple of versions have been very good. 3dmark scores are the same as XP now. And games on the whole are giving the same fps. Not to mention the fact that nvidia have stated that they are currently making the drivers work correctly, and havn't start to opimize them yet.

BF2 and COH run great, however you need to run BF2 as admin because punkbuster will boot you without it.

Soldato
all went fine on my upgrade to vista 64bit.
as for stability its been 100% since day 1 on my laptop and only had one driver issue(had to wait a week or two for HP to release a driver for the built in webcam)
as said, you could get 40 people say its fine and you still get problems on your setup, its just one of those things sometimes.
im glad i made the change over from xp

Soldato
I've had a positive vista experince (with the exception of a wireless driver niggle). Has improved my system performance a little.

Like others have said, run the vista upgrade adviser to check for compatability issues. Maybe have a search on google for your laptop model and vista issues.

I don't think vista will be fully "sorted out" for a good few months once driver testing has taken place and possibly service pack 1 has been released.

Soldato
Lysander said:
Vista should be pulled and rereleased with SP1. Then it should be more or less as stable and trouble-free as XP.
It is stable - it's the drivers that aren't. This is why some people can say they haven't had a crash, and some people say they have many in a day.

Permabanned
Vista's doing good for me at the moment.

CS:S is getting higher VST results than what it did on XP.
General Windows usage is a lot faster and the icing on the cake is I'm having no problems with stability or conflicts with any applications.

I made the change from XP because I was bored. :eek: :D

Soldato
Lysander said:
Vista should be pulled and rereleased with SP1. Then it should be more or less as stable and trouble-free as XP.

Haha, you joker.

How are they going to improve it if nobody is using it and providing feedback?

Back
Top Bottom