• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So have PCs caught up?

Soldato
Any PC with a decent DX9 capable gfx card is already able to deliver an equal or better gaming experience than the 360.

Most dont due to the massive lack of software support as the sales apparently no longer justify spending the resource on fine tuning the PC version to run smoothly so what we now get are un-optimised console ports which require X1800/1900s or 7800/7900s to run @ a higher res with very little other graphical tweaks over the 360 version.

DX10 will take it to the next level while the next gen consoles are stuck for the next 4-5 years with their current DX9ish graphics.

Soldato
I wouldn't say "a better gaming experience".

Oblivion is graphically superior on the PC (providing you have a ninja PC) but I wouldn't say the gaming experience is less on the 360.

The Xenos GPU in the 360 is custom built and features DX9 and 10 (not full) features.

At E3 Microsoft announced the integration of XBOX Live with Messenger and Vista.

They demonstrated Live Anywhere.

In a nutshell, Vista users will be able to see when 360 users are online and send messages. They'll also be able to play each other online! This obviously depends on whether the game designers include support for this feature, but it will be there.

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
Oblivion is graphically superior on the PC (providing you have a ninja PC) but I wouldn't say the gaming experience is less on the 360.

I think i get what you mean but in my opinion console gaming was always limited by the **** TV displays. Even now I dont see many people buying displays capable of showing off the 360 in it's full glory.

If you dont upgrade your TV to a swanky LCD or HD screen then really what's the point?

No swearing.

Otacon

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Cenuij said:
I think i get what you mean but in my opinion console gaming was always limited by the **** TV displays. Even now I dont see many people buying displays capable of showing off the 360 in it's full glory.

If you dont upgrade your TV to a swanky LCD or HD screen then really what's the point?

To play games?

Soldato
kdd said:
To play games?
Playing an X360 on a CRT TV is just a waste IMO, and I think that's what Cenuij was saying too. This is why I don't like the "X360 is much cheaper than a PC" argument, because I could build a £200 PC with TV-out that will play Oblivion maxed-out in 640x480 resolution just fine too! :)

It's my opinion that if you play PC games, you play them in 1024x768 at a minimum, and I play mine in 1280x960 which is larger than the fake (upscaled) HD resolution of the X360. If I were to buy an X360, I would be buying a HDTV too because if I wouldn't tolerate 640x480 on my PC then why should I on a "next-gen" console?

Soldato
Jabbs said:
You don't have to buy a new lcd hdtv, just plug it in your tft/crt monitor looks just as good.
So very true, but that doesn't mean it's costed less. :p Just that you already had a HD display laying about. :p

Soldato
Jabbs said:
You don't have to buy a new lcd hdtv, just plug it in your tft/crt monitor looks just as good.
I hear this quite often and whilst I am not the least bit interested in purchasing any console, if I was, I don't think I would want it plugged into my PC display for several reasons.

Firstly, when I think console, I think big TV with gamepad and big, comfy settee or chair - not sat at my PC in front of my monitor. Second, nobody else can use the console if anyone is using the PC and vice versa.

Maybe that's just me though :o

Associate
Jabbs said:

Yes most people do that... it's called the PC ;)

How many console gamers ( or PC gamers for that matter ) do you know with 32" tft or CRT? Nobody wants to sit on their couch staring at a 15" tft or crt...

The game console is aimed at the gamer who wants to sit in on his couch in the living room not sitting at a desk. This is where our point about the limitations of most people's TV's comes in.

Soldato
BubbySoup said:
When I think console, I think big TV with gamepad and big, comfy settee or chair - not sat at my PC in front of my monitor.
I used to think this too, then I realised my widescreen CRT TV has an s-video input. :)

Soldato
Upto you in the end :) people don't just buy a lct tv for a xbox they buy it as they want a big screen tv, just a bonus when you can enjoy gaming on it.

Back
Top Bottom