So may call it crazy...but I think it sounds like fun.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
image008.jpg

image006.jpg

And go here for details on these things.

http://www.vancouverminiclub.ca/moke/moke.html

Soldato
Hee, hee, hee. Hahahahahaha. A Z-cars Mini!! :D

Really, if you can find a Suzuki Samurai they are your best bet. My brother has owned two of them, and my father owned one. They are bullet proof reliable. But don't expect to have any functioning kidneys after the first 500 miles.

I drove one from San Diego California to Seattle Washington non-stop. And it was fully loaded with stuff as my brother was moving. The thing looked like an old chuck wagon with the convertible top all bulged out with stuff!! LOL

It was a blast of a trip. 1,300 miles at a maximum speed of 65mph. But I had trouble walking afterwards. My spine didn't seem to want to support me any longer.

See if you can find one of the original 88 1/2 XJ models. They are the first ones to have the 5-speed transmission and manual hubs on the front axle. They are also the first ones to have the 1L engine instead of the 650cc in the prior years. They are also the model you can get a hard top for (very beneficial, especially for noise reduction). Most also came with A/C.

They will pretty much run on any fuel that is burnable, mechanical work is done almost with a Crescent wrench, a pair of Vise-grips, a Phillips screwdriver, and a hammer. They can crawl through an unbelieveable amount of mud (snorkel intake at the bottom of the windscreen), in low range I believe idle is somewhere around .4 or .5 mph, they have insane attack and decline angles, and they are only beaten by the Hummer for climbing angles.

But all that being said, don't forget to save almost a thousand quid to just hand over to your neighborhood chiropractor when you get back. You'll be on a first name basis with him after that kind of a trip!!! :p

Soldato
UnknownSoldier said:
That looks like a good suggestion....

I check on ebay and all of the Samurais for sale have 1.3L engines....( models ranging from 88 to 97)

Hrm, over here it wasn't until they got into the redesigned one, the Sidekick, that they started to get the 1.3L.

Must be just over here then.....

Soldato
UnknownSoldier said:
That looks like a good suggestion....

I check on ebay and all of the Samurais for sale have 1.3L engines....( models ranging from 88 to 97)

There's dozens of them on there! Search for SJ410, not Samurai. They do have a tendency to rot though, so check very carefully before buying.

Man of Honour
oh dear god why do people keep bringing my attention to these things! i'm already trying to plan doing plymouth dakar for next year now this..... blimey does that look fun :D Its starting in june this year yer? hrm.... wonder if i can find someone nutty enough to do this with me... if a can budget a couple of grand for it i might be in... i need a stupid summer adventure :D

Back
Top Bottom