1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what happened to the dog ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Shackley, 2 Jun 2006.

1. Shackley

Banned

A US army dog handler convicted of using his dog to abuse an inmate at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison will not go to jail, a military court has decided.

Sgt Santos Cardona, 32, was instead sentenced to 90 days' hard labour. He will also be demoted in rank and have his pay docked.

He was found guilty on two out of nine charges of abuse and dereliction of duty at the prison near Baghdad.

He is the 11th US soldier convicted in connection with abuse at Abu Ghraib.

Cardona, had faced up to three and a half years behind bars, will have $7,200 (£3,800) docked from his wages over the next year.

A US military jury cleared Cardona of seven other charges of abuse at a court martial at Fort Meade in Maryland.

No senior officers have so far been convicted for the abuse at Abu Ghraib.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5041946.stm

2. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

They still use hard labour?

3. robmiller

Capodecina

Bear in mind this is a military court.

4. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

By your emphasis I take it you mean to suggest that senior officers are at least partially responsible for the abuses at Abu Ghraib. I'm not sure what it's worth but the whole prison abuse scandal reminds me intensely of the Zimbardo Experiment.

5. Stelly

Don

Cant blame the dog from that, really, like the saying goes...

a bad work man always blames his tools...

Stelly

6. VIRII

PermaBanned

Ahh another Shackley - BLAME THE WEST thread :)
    Wassup Shacks, why do you hate america so much.

Clearly it is possible for no officers to have been aware of the abuses or involved in them, I would still expect a few officers heads to roll though, after all they are responsible for their men and their actions. However, unless this is the last of the trials and convictions then there is still time for the expected officer convcitions to occur.

I wonder how it is going to help though, apart from appeasing some vengeful muslims with nothing but hatred in their hearts as they sit in their comfy western homes what good is it actually doing? How is it helping the overall mission in Iraq? If anything events like these simply prolong the length of time it'll take to get Iraq on its feet. I have to wonder at the motives behind these stories.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2006
  7. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

He's envious of the weather, tbh.

8. Shackley

Banned

Today ? You're avin' a larff.

9. VIRII

PermaBanned

How very anglicised of you :)

10. Visage

PermaBanned

Aaaah, another trite confrontational response.

Personally Im not convinced that senior officers should be held responsible - one of the fundamental aspects of things like the geneva conventiona dn wartime law is that all combatants are responsible for their own actions.

If there is no evidence that senior officials ordered subordinates to commit these crimes then no senior officials should answer charges.

Conversely, even if senior officials *did* order these acts, it would not be a vlid defence for the subordinate personel - it is mandated that armed forces personel are legally obliged to disobey illgal orders.

11. VIRII

PermaBanned

No need to be so rude to Shackles, especially when you're so guilty of responding in such a fashion yourself.

Absolutely people are responsible for their own actions but it is also true to say that Officers are indeed responsible for their men and for the actions of their men. I find it unlikely that no Officers were involved or aware but not impossible. I would expect at least one or two to be subject to some form of disciplinary hearing as well.