So what to do? Troubles ahoy!

Soldato
So, not long ago I moved my trusted 3770 and Asus p8z77-v to the other half computer as I wanted something with a bit more grunt.

Everything has stayed same except cpu and board. Super flower 1200w psu, various drives, Kingston beast 2400mhz ram, 290 in crossfire.

First I got 2nd hand 3960x and Asus sabertooth, but was getting random times when it would just lock up, and would then refuse to power up until some random amount of time had passed. Still got them sitting here as seller went quiet. Lesson learned - avoid 2nd hand.

So I decided to just go with 4790k and most expensive board I could find, the Gigabyte g1 bk. But that has turned into overclocking nightmare. It likes to corrupt my windows install. Actually, it managed to stuff up two independent SSD yesterday, not just my boot disk, meaning I either have to go through yet another windows install, unless the 2nd of the two image back system I have isn't also corrupt as the first is.

The corruption seems to happen on f4 and f5 bios, but I am not buying such an expensive board so as not to get upgrades.

And i will not leave it stock. I don't spend this amount of money to run stock. I simply expect not to get issues such as this when paying so much for a board that has gone through a week of testing apparently. Ok, maybe the hardware is fine, but the bios...

It also initially ran the 4790k at 4.75 on 1.29v. Now it's takes no less than 1.35v. That could be cpu, but who knows.

But it's been weeks and weeks now, and I am getting tired of it. I want the system up and running.

So currently contemplating the following options:
1 buy yet another board and cpu.
2 buy an x79 board to go with 3960x
3 wait and see if they release a bios that isn't ####
4 smash it all with hammer

I have so little spare time these days, and just can't be spending it all troubleshooting this darn PC, and reinstalling windows.

Associate
According to GB website, the newest non-beta BIOS is F11. You are way behind with your BIOS. Flash F11 and see what happens then.
I too had massive problems until I updated BIOS- my board (Z87X-UD4H) shipped with F5, which apparently didn't even support my chip!

EDIT Hold on, got my Z87 and X79 mixed up, two secs...:o

Associate
Yah OK scrub that- was looking at X79 board (post-read failure).

F5 is the most recent version. If the board is actually corrupting drives I would suggest an RMA- that does not sound right at all (stating the bleedin obvious).
Can't remember his username, but there's a GB rep on here somewhere, he may know of any known problems and when fixes are due.

If someone else could name him, it would be helpful!

Thinking dodgy VRMs on the board for some reason...

Soldato
OP
Thanks shivy. Didn't realise they were so readily available.

And yes nocky, it seems OK at stock. But I could have bought much cheaper board if I wanted to run stock :)

Edit:
Oh, and Dougal, have seen him about.

Will find time to track him down and get in touch. Haven't gotten round to even registering on their site yet.

Soldato
OP
Smash it with hammer is my vote. I'd be fuming if I had spent out what you have had. My sympathies .

It's not much the fact that it cost a lot and is giving issues, but rather the amount of my free time it is consuming.

Especially frustrating with things like finding a stable oc, only for a couple of days later for it to become completely unstable when nothing changed...

Have been working with computers for 20 odd years, and never had such a miserable time with hardware.

Soldato
OP
Ah, awesome.

Now it's hanging at stock while reinstalling program's on a fresh install of windows...

Now, where is that hammer?

I had three means of backup. One cloned drive and two different disc images programs. Couldn't restore from any. Think will be unplugging all my data drives until I figure out what to do.

They are all backed up, but am beginning to suspect this board could corrupt my remote Dropbox folder if it wanted.

Bk my arse.

This is ####

Soldato
OP
So did another fresh installation of Windows.

Hung when installing acronis which is obviously not working with its I stall being interrupted, but can not repair or uninstall the program now.

And the killer network card didn't seem to be working this morning.

Did manage to get f6b bios installed.

Will have to install windows yet again tonight, and see how get on with new bios.

I do have an xpower z97 sitting in my basket. But can't order to come tomorrow as will be out.

Don't think can take a lot more of this board.

Soldato
OP
Memtest.
Replace sata cables.

Two, easy and free things to try

Have replaced some (those of drives with Windows installed on). Not sure have enough spare to replace all other, but will be unplugging them all tonight anyway.

As for me test, guess is worth a shot, but guess I didn't consider it as this memory was fine in previous build.

Less inclined to think memory than board

Last edited:
Associate
Grab an Asus Maximus VII Hero board.
No need to spend stupid amounts of money to get a quality Z97 board that won't let you down.

Man of Honour
Return the board for a refund and buy a much cheaper one. £328 for a Z97 board is ridiculous and unless using LN2 and extreme voltages won't clock any better than a £100 board (I can easily overclock my 4670K on the wifes Gigabyte B85M-D3H to at least 4.4Ghz and that board only cost me £48) because the cpu is the limiting factor.

Soldato
OP
I know it was a lot to spend on a board.

First, I liked that it had watercooling built in as standard, 2nd, I thought the whole week long testing would actually mean I wouldn't have trouble with it.

I know the xpower is also expensive, but again has a lot of features I want.

Am in contact with place of purchase. Will see what can get sorted.

Either way will still have weekend to test things.

Back
Top Bottom