So whats the best dance tune ever?

Man of Honour
What different people classify as dance music is subjective in the extreme. If we're taking about it in the classical sense of what's been dished out at top-notch nightclubs since the early nineties, then I have to go with Hideaway by De Lacy which was THE tune of '95. :cool:

If we're just talking about any old tune which might have been played at some time or another in any old club around the country, then I'll go with The Music Sounds Better With You by Stardust/Daft Punk.

Associate
Originally posted by Deadly Ferret
If we're taking about it in the classical sense of what's been dished out at top-notch nightclubs since the early nineties,

dont you mean early eighties?! :p :D so many classics released pre-1990, strings of life, can u feel it, someday, acid trax, good life! all tunes id give my right arm for to hear in a club.

Associate
OMG - no one has mentioned DJ Otzi!!!!! The shame.

Ah so many class tunes here - I think for my favourite, the one that brings back so many memories would either have to be

Born Slippy - Was in Ibiza '96 just feeling so amazing dancing in es paradis listening to this for the first time!!!!

Quite a few on here that I don't recognise - will have to go round and pester my mate with the massive vinyl collection to have a listen... :)

/goes off to put together a compilation playlist on winamp :)

Associate
Originally posted by Bobcat
Swansea is full of Hard House or Trance Heads :D

You should make your way to Escape in Swansea (Behind the NCP Carpark on the Kingsway) for the very best in Trance / Funky House / Hard House on a Saturday Night, cant beat it ;)

Might have to go along sometime soon - used to live in Cardiff so could probably kip on my ex housemate's floor (doubt I'd be able to convince em to go along, they seem to have grown up all of a sudden. Got a mate back here at home who wants to go somewhere very different and banging!!

Man of Honour
Originally posted by billyloner
dont you mean early eighties?! :p :D so many classics released pre-1990, strings of life, can u feel it, someday, acid trax, good life! all tunes id give my right arm for to hear in a club.

No I don't! Those aren't tunes aren't dance music. They're from other genres.

:)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by DirtyMonkey

Born Slippy - Was in Ibiza '96 just feeling so amazing dancing in es paradis listening to this for the first time!!!!

Hey! Same year same venue :cool:

They all come under the big umbrella of dance though...

Old skool dance is still dance!

Associate
Just a few that haven't been mentioned yet

Rez/Cowgirl Underworld
Positive Education Slam
Promised Land Joe Smooth
Acperience Hardfloor
Voodoo Ray A Guy Called Gerald
Song of Life Leftfield
Space Invaders are Smoking Grass I-F
Professional Widow(Remix) Tori Amos
Sack the Drummer Soundclash Republic
Vernon Vernon's Wonderland

Associate

oh. my. god. im practically speechless :eek:

if you mean they arent cheesy chart trance, then nope. but theyre some of the tunes what started the whole club scene! just cos dangerous dave pearce or judge jules wouldnt play em...

you trying to tell me that early house and techno arent dance music? :confused:

i pray your taking the mickey...

Originally posted by Funky Mosquito
Promised Land Joe Smooth

amazing tune :cool: not dance tho ;) lol!

Ben

Ben

Associate

if you mean they arent cheesy chart trance, then nope. but theyre some of the tunes what started the whole club scene! just cos dangerous dave pearce or judge jules wouldnt play em...

Jules played Good Life when it was re-released on his Radio 1 show a good few years back ;)

"Dance" is really a too broader genre IMO.

Man of Honour
oh. my. god. im practically speechless :eek:

you trying to tell me that early house and techno arent dance music? :confused:

i pray your taking the mickey...

I'm not critiscising them. Indeed, I prefer them to dance music. I'm just saying that they're not dance music. Yes, they were played in clubs and raves, and in some cases they may have been played in the sort of clubs that routinely play dance music. But they aren't dance music themselves! That's all I'm saying. I'm not being critical of them, just getting genres correct because I'm sick of virtually all genres that bear even the slightest resemblance to dance music being incorrectly lumped in generically with it. :)

You've listed such tunes as Strings of Life (which is techno), Acid Trax (which is Acid), and Good Life (which is sort of techno-pop). None of them are actually dance music tracks. I'm sure you'd agree that each one is completely different to Till I Come by ATB, Encore Une Fois by Sash, or Energy 52 by Cafe Del Mar, which are all typical examples of dance music. :)

Kfa

Kfa

Associate
I'm not critiscising them. Indeed, I prefer them to dance music. I'm just saying that they're not dance music. Yes, they were played in clubs and raves, and in some cases they may have been played in the sort of clubs that routinely play dance music. But they aren't dance music themselves! That's all I'm saying. I'm not being critical of them, just getting genres correct because I'm sick of virtually all genres that bear even the slightest resemblance to dance music being incorrectly lumped in generically with it. :)

You've listed such tunes as Strings of Life (which is techno), Acid Trax (which is Acid), and Good Life (which is sort of techno-pop). None of them are actually dance music tracks. I'm sure you'd agree that each one is completely different to Till I Come by ATB, Encore Une Fois by Sash, or Energy 52 by Cafe Del Mar, which are all typical examples of dance music. :)

Have to totally disagree here. Its ALL Dance music. House, Funky House, Trance, Techno , DnB, Hardcore, Hard House, Us House, Garage, Uk Garage, Jungle. All sub genre's of the genre that is Dance music. And btw its Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52 ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Kfa
And btw its Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52 ;)

Thanks but I did know that! It's an example of what we humans call a mental lapse. :p

Your disagreement is noted, but there's no point in me arguing - you think what you think, and I think what I think. :)

What I would say though which just occured to me as an afterthought, is that what you are doing there, lumping them all in together, is mimicking what the commercial music industry does. They do this to simplify things for both themselves and the consumer. That does not make it right though...

Last edited:
Associate
Not really a dance person(hence why my choices are all mainstream), but off the top of my head i love these songs..

Chicane - Salt Water
EON - Pocket Damage
William Orbit - Barbers Adagio for strings
Darude - Feel the Beat
Jurgen Vries - The Theme
Kylie Minogue v Rank 1 - True love never dies
Public domain - operation blade

..and some cheesy happy hardcore :p
Scott Brown - Elysium
Bang! - Shooting star

Last edited:

Kfa

Kfa

Associate
I take your point, but practically any tune u name will come into some other sub genre than just dance. Dance is just the collective name for all the genres.

Take for example 'Dangerous' Dave Pearce :p

On his show on Radio one, ive heard him play Trance, Pumping House, Old skool, Freeform, Nrg, but his show is called Dance Anthems... which leads me onto your point.

Maybe it shouldnt all be lumped together as dance, but it is and always has been. As long as the people in the know who love our certain genre's of dance music know whats what, Does it really matter?

For example, im into Hardcore, but that can be broken down further into, Breakbeat/4 Beat/Happy Hardcore/Bouncy Techno/ Old Skool/ Nu Skool/Gabba/Nu skool Gabba/Freeform/Techno Hardcore/Makina etc etc. End of the day, its all just Hardcore and its a form of dance music :)

Ben

Ben

Associate
Originally posted by Kfa
Have to totally disagree here. Its ALL Dance music. House, Funky House, Trance, Techno , DnB, Hardcore, Hard House, Us House, Garage, Uk Garage, Jungle. All sub genre's of the genre that is Dance music. And btw its Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52 ;)

But then with the tree you have say:

Dance
|
|-Trance
|-|
| |- Ambient Trance

Ambient trance holds no qualities of dance music (ok some may do that fall into this catagory, but they're few are far between).
You can reference Ambient Trance as just Trance, but you can't really reference it as Dance.

Kfa

Kfa

Associate
Originally posted by Ben
But then with the tree you have say:

Dance
|
|-Trance
|-|
| |- Ambient Trance

Ambient trance holds no qualities of dance music (ok some may do that fall into this catagory, but they're few are far between).
You can reference Ambient Trance as just Trance, but you can't really reference it as Dance.

Thats a very good point. But with nearly every sub genre of dance music you can branch off into countless other sub categories. It also depends on what you would classify as qualities of dance music.

Im not big on ambient trance, but surely it was made on synths, sequencers etc?, played by dj's? played at partys, clubs?

Are they not certain qualities of the dance music scene in general?

Associate
it all stems from house tho, so if your getting picky over whether 'dance' is the same as house - then yes it is, its all a sub-genre. all club music we have now is a sub-genre of house.

tho im assuming your referring to 'dance' as being the cheesy euro chart s**te that the general public refers to - well it isnt, really, is it. techno, drum n bass, etc, theyre all dance music. and they all have roots in some of the tunes mentioned.

None of them are actually dance music tracks

nope, you see - theyre ALL dance music. just because people in the general public think of dance as cheese, we dont have to. why sub-genre-ise? if thats a word! its all the same. but wouldnt you feel a bit silly calling jungle 'house'?

ps i am drunk now so if i dont make my point quite clearly enough forgive me - ill do it tomorrow ;)

Kfa

Kfa

Associate
it all stems from house tho, so if your getting picky over whether 'dance' is the same as house - then yes it is, its all a sub-genre. all club music we have now is a sub-genre of house.

Or if you REALLY wanted to be picky you could say it stems from Kraftwerk, and other synth groups that were around in that era

nope, you see - theyre ALL dance music. just because people in the general public think of dance as cheese, we dont have to. why sub-genre-ise? if thats a word! its all the same. but wouldnt you feel a bit silly calling jungle 'house'?

Its probably neccesary to sub-genre-ise so some poor hairperfect armani poser clubbers dont go into a dance club playing 250bpm evil messed up dutch speedcore and have a heartattack :p

Back
Top Bottom