So who else has been blessed with the receeding hairline gene

Soldato
I think my hairline has been receding since I was around 16 or 17.

The only photo I have to hand from around that time is below. You can see there that the hair on the top of my head is quite thin.

me_teen.jpg

Since then things have gotten gradually worse and worse. I'm now 23 and don't have much more hair than my dad, aged 54. I seem to have inherited the trait from my mother's side of the family, as from all reports both my grandad and uncle had very little hair at my age.

In this photo I was 19, and as you can see my hair is still of a good thickness, but my hairline has receded in to my temples more:

me_pyramid.jpg

In the photo below I've just turned 22. You can really see how generally absent my hair is:

me_top.jpg

This one is about a year old, so still 22, but nearer 23. Hairline is going up and over!:

me_marcinia.jpg

This is the most recent photo I have that makes things visible. Not the best (OK it's a terrible photo), but you can see how my temples are really starting to peak rather than have a rounded top. I don't think my hair as much time left:

me_sue.jpg

The most annoying thing about all of this, is that I don't look all that old, just with the exception of my hair. Unfortunately the hair contributes enough to make me look about 50, rather than 23 or younger :p

I think my head is too weird a shape to go for the shaven look, so I'll probably engage in some hair restoration surgery at some point.

Soldato
I always looked a lot older than I am anyway and losing hair and the fact that I always like to wear a stubble makes me look about 10 years older. At least I never had to worry about carrying ID in town!

Soldato
i started to get peaks 10 years ago, but nothing more, my hair has receded but no more in the last 10 years, i have stopped washing it and blame that.

the last 4 years i have washed and towel dried my hair no more than 20 times, i just rinse with warm water twice a week and drip dry.

advise for anyone thinning - wash with warm water and don't rough it up with a towel, best way to pull hair out!

Soldato
i started to get peaks 10 years ago, but nothing more, my hair has receded but no more in the last 10 years, i have stopped washing it and blame that.

the last 4 years i have washed and towel dried my hair no more than 20 times, i just rinse with warm water twice a week and drip dry.

advise for anyone thinning - wash with warm water and don't rough it up with a towel, best way to pull hair out!
Washing your hair won't accelerate the balding process unless you are really very vicious when you wash or dry your hair. Hair that comes out in that process is already in the very last stage of it's life (catagen phase). If you have "functioning" hair it will be replaced with something of similar thickness and strength, if you have thinning hair it will be replaced by a weaker hair, or possibly not what you'd call "hair" at all (more of a fuzz).

The average person will lose 50-100 hairs per day (obviously this depends on how much hair you actually have) and washing will usually just remove many of these at once. They will come out whether you wash or not :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

Soldato
i disagree, my hair started to reseed 10 years ago, and i swear it was down to towelling & products my personal view is hair was never intended to be covered in products or washed, washing it strips out the natural goodness surely? if you have strong hair then maybe no issues, but if its thinning and falling out why help it :D

My misses reckons my hair is not greasy and does not smell, i trust her to say otherwise, its only my personal view, but it makes sense to me, my hair is healthier for not washing it so often, there is no need water should do the job. i know i have no medical or scientific evidence but its one of those things i swear by

here are some pic's to back my statement! lol

Summer 2000 - clearly creeping back

2010 - do OK 10 years on

Last edited:
Associate
Alex, I have same thing, more on the right temple than the left :/
abit anoyying
but planning now to give it some more length and get myself a fringe ^^ as starter taking generic propecia a couple of years ago when I noticed it getting abit thin on top, seems to of helped flesh it out a little and I now dont notice much hair fall out, if any, when I brush my hands through it.

25 btw.

Started noticing receeding at the temples when I was about 18, then thinning on top from about 21-22

Soldato
Mine's not receding, but it's very very thin on top. I started losing it when I was about 16, within 6 months I'd probably lost half my hair. Luckily it then slowed down a bit so I've still got a bit left. I just have it at grade 4 length most of the time now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Being Italian I thought my hair would retreat quicker than their military :D However I still have a generally good head full and am only starting to see the odd white hair at 37 now. :)

Tell you what I have noticed though, that hair is "migrating" somewhat. I never had a hairy chest throughout my 20's and in my early 30's I suddenly developed one!. My hairdresser shocked me a few months back by saying "shall I get rid of the hair in your ears" :D Never even noticed I had any there, and perhaps most distrubing of all, is that the missus has noticed a clump of hair growing on a small part of my upper back.

What the hell !!!! :(

Soldato
I'm 28 at the moment and mines been going since early twenties, first at the temples but now at the crown as well.

Decided that my last proper hair cut was last week, i'm going to get a number 1 in a months time and that'll be it forever :p

I figure the only thing to do is accept it gracefully and give nature a helping hand by doing it first :D

Soldato
I'm hoping that it missed me - both my uncle and granddad started to get receding hairline while at uni :eek:

Ah well, at least I'm OK for now, unlike a mate who already has a few grey hairs (he's 17 :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom