So... who is right about drink driving?

Soldato
Its a murky area I feel.. having a drink and then driving.

Some people handle their alcohol better than others, I used to work with a rather thick set labourer who was drunk as a skunk after a pint of beer. Yet would be classed as under the legal limit.. go figure :o

Caporegime
It's such a black art to me, I'd rather just not bother risking it at all. Sometimes I've felt tipsy after a pint and sometimes I can have three pints and feel perfectly fine.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd only have a bottle of beer if I were driving that night.

I could definitely have quite a few, and perhaps make it home safe, but what's the point?
I don't bother risking it.

EDIT: and I'm fairly sure that TuckerMax is completely made up.

Soldato
Fair enough with the comments regarding driving = no drinking but the law sets a limit on it and people will always try to find the limit unless it was zero tolerance.

I wouldn't do it as I can't really handle alcohol but I've saw my dad drive after a pint/pint and a half back in the 90s and I'd say he was fine but people say otherwise these days.

Permabanned
I've never had an issue with driving after a pint or two, personally. I think most of the stigma around drink driving these days is driven mostly by government campaigns and media.

Not that I condone such actions, but my Grandfather drove home from the pub three or four nights a week for over forty years until he was finally pulled over and lost his licence for it, even then, it was nothing to do with his driving, but rather someone had reported him and the police were waiting.

Soldato
I saw a program recently, think it may have been a re-run, as if half sure I had seen it before – they had a group of self-confessed drink drivers in a pub, they then rationed them what they said they would typically drink before driving. Anyway, the program ended up with several who were over the limit and a few who weren’t; even though they had drunken quite a bit.

Although people’s bodies deal with it different, I think it’s all down to attitude – the people on this program were all ****s, they staunchly defended their decision to drive, and even though they said they’d stop at the end of the program (after watching a mock accident scene), they are the type of selfish people who would still go off an drink.

I personally don’t drink any more, I made a conscious decision a few years back, and don’t miss it at all, but even when I did drink, I would rarely have a drink if driving; and even when I did it would be a pint at the most.

DiG

DiG

Associate
There is a bit in superfreakonomics about drink driving, apparently the statistics show that your more likely to become injured walking home drunk than driving home drunk.

I guess the real solution is to do neither, just stay in the pub and have another round :)

But, walking you would likely hurt only yourself, driving, you might kill someone else.

Thats the primary issue to me, I'm putting others at risk by drink driving, so I never have more than a pint, often not even that. But then I rarely drink, so I'm a lightweight (and, unlike some of my friends, not ashamed of it)!

Associate
Personally I believe there should be a 2 stage attitude on drink driving by the Police, keep the ban at 80mg, but if you hit 50mg they take your car off you then and there and make you pick the car up from the police compound the following day, it just in conveniences people enough to make people think twice, a ban at 50mg like the times story suggests is just excessive.

Whilst it woulod be very interesting for a 25yr old male of medium height and weight to drink a pint, take a breath test and repeat until he fails, the average public are so thick that they would say 'oh now I can drink X pints and drive now'.

I would hate to think what the Americans would do.

Soldato
I think on the bike the most I've ever ridden after was one drink, and that was with a meal several hours before. I'm just not up for chancing it even remotely on the bike.

I've only been driving since December and it hasn't really come up, but I'd quite happily drive a car after one, probably two. No more though, and to be honest after two will probably be very rare. I just don't consider it worth the risk. If I've had one drink and I have to go and get something then I will, but if I'm actively drinking, I just leave the car at home. No point risking it.

Back
Top Bottom