So... who is right about drink driving?

Associate
OP
Your fatal flaw is confusing breathalyser data with blood alcohol level. The legal limit for breath alcohol is 35micrograms per 100ml of breath. So if you blow 0.08 on a breathalyser you are over double the limit...

Secondly, look up the widmark equation for a better understanding of how the body processes alcohol.

I haven't confused that at all - the figures in the table are all Blood alcohol content, and a breathalyser can easily display that since there is a direct relationship between alcohol in breath and alcohol in blood.

Man of Honour
I may be wrong, but that seems akin to a rolling road giving you ATF figures.

Why? The alcohol passes from your blood into your lungs via the same membranes which bring air the other way. The alcohol level in the two then reaches equilibrium, and stays that way as blood alcohol rises and then falls (repeatedly sometime, depending on the drinking pattern). The relationship is understood and accepted by everyone, even including Defence lawyers - and Lord knows they'd know a loophole if they saw one.

M

Transmission breaker
Don
Never more than a pint before driving anywhere now :)

I very rarely drink any more than a pint once a week any more. Up until about 2-3 years ago I would often drink 3-4 pints on a night out, followed by other random drinks. I don't even drink a glass of wine with meals much anymore.

Back then I would have drunk 2 pints and driven and felt fine, now that I drink so much less, I dont think I would ever risk more than a single pint before stepping into a car.

Associate
who here has had a pint and then driven somewhere shortly after?

It's fairly usual to go for a pint after mountain biking though I'll not have more than one and I'll go for a lowish strength bitter, certainly no more than 5%. I also appreciate my reactions are compromised and drive accordingly.

I've driven ****ed a couple of times, but both on private roads (Scottish highlands & North Wales) with zero chance of anything coming the other way where the worst that would happen could be I'd hit a wall or put it in a ditch. It's an interesting experience and certainly not someting I'd want to try on the road. I could still drive with apparenntly no noticable difference to normal, well according to my passengers anyway, but my decission making was compromised and slow. They told me to turn left, I knew it was right so went straight, only just stopping before I hit a wall.

Soldato
Date of Birth
18th Jun 1991 (18)

Lol.

If you saw me you'd realise how wrong you are, I was fully grown at 6'6" and had a beard at 13 so could buy alcohol in most places. So I've been drinking every weekend for about 5 years, at partys and all sorts.
When I got a proper job and got to college it's more like 2 - 3 times a week of going out and drinking in town.
Pub 3 nights on the weekdays if not more or if i'm not at the pub or working it's a couple of whiskys in front of the tv.

Trust me buddy, you don't need to be old to be a seasoned drinker, you've just got to hate your liver.

Last edited:
Associate
I drove home after a session and accidentally parked in somebody's house after misreading the road. Lucky not to have killed anyone. Only have one pint and drive now, nothing at all if I'm on my bike or if I'm tired.

Soldato
If you saw me you'd realise how wrong you are, I was fully grown at 6'6" and had a beard at 13 so could buy alcohol in most places. So I've been drinking every weekend for about 5 years, at partys and all sorts.
When I got a proper job and got to college it's more like 2 - 3 times a week of going out and drinking in town.
Pub 3 nights on the weekdays if not more or if i'm not at the pub or working it's a couple of whiskys in front of the tv.

Trust me buddy, you don't need to be old to be a seasoned drinker, you've just got to hate your liver.
Don't worry, i've read enough of your macho posts to realise how much of a 'big man' you are. I just think the term "seasoned drinker" is better suited to a retired 70 year old former publican than an 18 year old kid who happens to be tall and goes to the pub a bit.

Last edited:
Associate
For me it's absolutely nothing to do with the law, or where the limit is, or even if there is a limit.

I like being alive....

Any amount of a perception altering drug (such as alcohol) will have an effect, therefore it's safer for me and anyone I come across to not have any such drug in my system when driving.

Simples.
(I love how that is becoming a really common meme) :D

Soldato
Drink driving is a no no fall stop.

What concerns me however is watching these Police Camera programmes when they pull cars up and can smell cannabis etc. They seem to quite often allow them to carry on there journey with a slap on the wrist. One I saw was 3 Asian guys in a BMW, they were stopped and search, drugs confiscated and allow to drive off.

Not a great message really.

Soldato
Why? The alcohol passes from your blood into your lungs via the same membranes which bring air the other way. The alcohol level in the two then reaches equilibrium, and stays that way as blood alcohol rises and then falls (repeatedly sometime, depending on the drinking pattern). The relationship is understood and accepted by everyone, even including Defence lawyers - and Lord knows they'd know a loophole if they saw one.

M

if do a breathalyser test immediately after a shot of vodka you will fail the test due to the mouth alcohol, rather than the alcohol in the blood. so yes, it is like a dodgy rolling road trying to figure out the ATF figures

Soldato
Don't worry, i've read enough of your macho posts to realise how much of a 'big man' you are. I just think the term "seasoned drinker" is better suited to a retired 70 year old former publican than an 18 year old kid who happens to be tall and goes to the pub a bit.

If drinking is your hobby, how does that not make you a seasoned drinker? Out every weekend, down the pub almost every night.
Attended cider festivals and all sorts in the past.

Also how would a seasoned drinker make it to 70? Someone who drinks properly for decades will probably die in their 50's-60's easily.

Soldato
if do a breathalyser test immediately after a shot of vodka you will fail the test due to the mouth alcohol, rather than the alcohol in the blood. so yes, it is like a dodgy rolling road trying to figure out the ATF figures

Isn't this why the police ask you when you had your last drink, and will give you a minimum of 20 minutes between testing and your last drink.

Soldato
Dont drink at all, otherwise you are over the limit in my book (but then Im a non driver so its easy for me to say :))

While it has something to do with the type of bosy you have (tall /short/fat/thin) its also to do with other things like blood type specifics as well as matabolism rate etc.

Also something to consider is that just because you may be under the legal limit, your awareness and reaction time etc may still be completely shot (now maybe the legal limit is wrong in this regard, but still worth thinking about)

Back
Top Bottom