So... who is right about drink driving?

Soldato
If drinking is your hobby, how does that not make you a seasoned drinker? Out every weekend, down the pub almost every night.
Attended cider festivals and all sorts in the past.

Also how would a seasoned drinker make it to 70? Someone who drinks properly for decades will probably die in their 50's-60's easily.

Look, go around calling yourself a seasoned drinker by all means. But coming from an 18 year old it is nothing short of hilarious.

Soldato
I think people who drink and then go driving (bar the small glass of wine with a meal, for example) are crazy.

So what if you're under the limit? Could you live with the question - "Would I have reacted quicker if I didn't have that drink?" hanging over your head if you hit a child who ran out in the road?

Man of Honour
Isn't this why the police ask you when you had your last drink, and will give you a minimum of 20 minutes between testing and your last drink.

Actually that's to allow for the time it takes to pass alcohol from your stomach to your blood. For a while after you stop drinking your blood (and breath) alcohol levels continue to rise. The police want to make sure that you are at maximum or on the way down. If you pass, it would a seem a bit silly if ten minutes later you were then over the limit.

No, the way they stop interference from mouth alcohol (which lasts less than two minutes anyway), a) talking to you for a couple of minutes, and b) asking you to KEEP blowing. The new tests aren't as bad as the old ones where you went on for so long you thought you were going to faint, but they still sample air from the lungs, and not the mouth. Lung air is unaffected by shots, mouth washes, etc.

M

Soldato
I find it funny how here drink driving = baby killing, bambi raping murderer. Where as you quite often see Americans drive home plastered in US TV shows as if it isn't that big a deal.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Soldato
Where as you quite often see Americans drive home plastered in US TV shows as if it isn't that big a deal.
Goodness, how old are you?

1) How many drunk people on US TV shows have you seen where it isn't that "big of a deal"?

2) How many people drive in America?

3) TV shows: Do or do they not create shows about things that are extraordinary to get viewer attention?

Soldato

1) How many drunk people on US TV shows have you seen where it isn't that "big of a deal"?

3) TV shows: Do or do they not create shows about things that are extraordinary to get viewer attention?

I'm not saying the TV shows are based on reality, I'm just saying its weird how often you see it and it's not condemned.

You wouldn't see a comedy show here where someone drove home plastered and everyone was ok with it would you?

Family Guy & The Simpsons are two shows in particular where drink driving is a constant theme with hardly any repercussions.

Caporegime
the evil in america is underage drinking

much more than drink driving. At least thats the public perception...

I cant believe its walmarts policy to ID anybody who looks under the age of 40 !!

But if your over 21, then thats fine. They dont give a damn if you go and drink and drive, just as long as your over 21 :D

Associate
OP

Trust me. It really isn't a big deal in America. Was out on a night out where the DD was just having a 'few' but go so drunk he started vomiting. So another girl who had been drinking incredibly hard all night was 'I can drive good enough not to crash' so she did.

Many a times have I been in cars in America where the driver has had at least 10-15 standard units of alcohol in a drinking session. It's just accepted as normal - much like speeding is here.

The swiss/danes/australians probably have threads about everyone else in the world who are crazy enough to speed!

Caporegime
Personally I believe there should be a 2 stage attitude on drink driving by the Police, keep the ban at 80mg, but if you hit 50mg they take your car off you then and there and make you pick the car up from the police compound the following day, it just in conveniences people enough to make people think twice, a ban at 50mg like the times story suggests is just excessive.

Is there any empirical evidence that dropping the limit (in any form) would significantly impact accident statistics? Or that a significant number of accidents involve people with alcohol in their breath sample but in the 50-80 range (or 0-80 range if we're talking zero tolerance)?

It seems to me that the current situation is pretty reasonable, and there isn't any compelling reason to change it, but I'm willing to be convinced by solid evidence.

Back
Top Bottom