So, you want to keep a pet tarantula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by sik
I've seen them in many pet shops, they say they're 'de-fanged', is that a necessity? (I think it's a tad mean, but would rather it's feelings hurt than mine).
If you were to "de-fang" a spider it would probably die - not to mention it couldn't feed. :confused:

Also, if you were to de-venomise a spider it couldn't kill and digest it's prey, so I think someone's having you on.....

Permabanned
Originally posted by sik
I've seen them in many pet shops, they say they're 'de-fanged', is that a necessity? (I think it's a tad mean, but would rather it's feelings hurt than mine).

If you can't handle them as they are then you shouldn't have one period. Why cause them pain just because you want one as a pet - just get a pet that you feel 'safe' with as is.

Plus, don't they need their fangs to eat? you'd starve the poor thing!

Associate
Originally posted by sik

I want that spider... looks soo cute!

How do you remove the dead food (with a toothpick)? And where would you keep them (in the freezer - stupid question)?

A heat matt, I have an electric blanket :p. Are these generally bigger than the case?

edit: Matt, not mate, duh.
If that spider was human-sized it might make a rather comfortable seat. If one was crazy enough to go near it that is.

sik

sik

Permabanned
Ms. IndyModeOCHW, I know absolute nothing about them, although I'm very keen to learn, thanks to you and Lopez for putting up with my stupidity.

I could've sweared that someone in Petsmart told me that their spiders were defanged....anywho, I wouldn't buy anything from them anyway.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Originally posted by sik
Mr. IndyModeOCHW, I know absolute nothing about them, although I'm very keen to learn, thanks to you and Lopez for putting up with my stupidity.

I could've sweared that someone in Petsmart told me that their spiders were defanged....anywho, I wouldn't buy anything from them anyway.

No worries :) I used to work at a Petsmart in High School, and some of the people they employee their know jack about animals - I really think they make stuff up just to sell them!

(it's Ms. IndyMOdeOCHW, btw :D)

Associate
No spider is de-fanged, nor can they be milked like a snake. The best way to aviode being bitten is to not handle them. Every spider is capable of inflicting a bite, but some breeds are more prone to bitting than others. A bite is usually the last resort, its first defence method is flicking hairs at you. Usually prior to a bite it will adopt a defensive posture, raising its self off the ground with its front legs in the air. The picture of the Cobalt Blue posted by Lopéz, shows a defensive position. If you leave it alone at this stage it will not attack. A spiders fangs are curved inward and similar to a rose thorn but harder.

Tip number 2...... If you find an unwanted spider on you, brush the spider upwards not down. If you brush down it will try and use its fangs to hold on. :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
very informative, i definitely learned a lot about these big spiders today. :)

some of them have stunning colour though i have to admit, do those colours have purposes or are they just for show?

im still freaked out by them, but now they dont seem so bad. :D

Permabanned
I fear no spider that is smaller than size 10 :p. Nah, I'm terrified of those larger ones. House spiders are OK, I can hold them and even play with them but those muvas?! No way. Give me a tarantula and I'll run away. Give me a corpse and I'll crack open it's ribs and have a peek inside (under carful supervision of course)

Soldato
A quality post Lopez, really excellent. However, I was concerned about the following...
Originally posted by Lopéz
...Boxes of live rickets can be bought from pet shops for around £2.
... now surely rickets can't be good for a spider, especially with so many legs! Sorry!
I kept lizards a quite a few years back, more my thing. However, the spiders shown here are some really beautiful creatures. I had a friend that used to keep all manner of creatures; spiders, preying mantids, snakes and so on... that's where I probably got a fascination from. The only problem I had with crickets was the odd escaped one. Finding them popping out of bags, under cushions... the family wasn't too impressed. I never bred them, always bought new boxes. There was often very small black beetles in the boxes with them. Do you know what these are? And also do you know which spider is the one that shoots out it's back hair to cause irritation, that I believe some I think Amazon tribes often eat?

Associate
All new world (Those from the americas) can kick urticating hair onto an attacker. Apart from an annoying itch lasting several days, it isnt too bad. Unless its a small, psychotic Goliath birdeater, in which case you can be up for several weeks scratching.

Man of Honour
OP
Black crickets are evil things and will chew out of their plastic container - and the spider wouldn't eat them either.
So I switched to brown crickets which are softer and he's been fine ever since. :)

Man of Honour
I was very close to purchasing a Chilean Rose one day. I decided not to because I only had enough money with me to buy the very basic kit and thought it wold be better for the spider to get proper kit.

Time for a trip to the reptile shop this week :D

EDIT: Do these things stick their fangs into you? I don't mind handling one but if anyone else was handling it I wouldn't want them to freak out and drop it.

5stars.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Lopéz
Oh come on......tell me this isn't gorgeous?

Incidentally that's a Cobalt Blue, rather agressive and certainly not suitable for a beginner. That's what I'm getting next, followed by a Pink-toed Bird Eating Spider. :)

The only good thing about that one is that it'd be easier to spot so I could kill it or more likely peg it.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Élynduil
The only good thing about that one is that it'd be easier to spot so I could kill it or more likely peg it.

You want easy to spot?

Try Poecilotheria regalis, the Indian Ornamental Spider.
These differ from the burrowing types in that they are arboreal - they make big messy webs and live in trees.
The colouring is certainly spectacular. These are not the most docile spiders around, but tend to be fast moving and nervous rather than aggressive.
They tend to be sought after and therefore pricey to buy as a pet due to their markings.

Associate
Yan, do you have any pics of your Poec. setup?

Lopéz, I will try and get some pic's of my spiders and their homes. I need to do it in daylight to aviod reflections from the glass tanks. The Poec is ina tall tank, with a branch going from corner to corner, its set its self up in a nice little hammock where the branch meets the glass, so you can see her clearly, cleaning and feeding is not a problem, you just got to be carefull as she is quick.

I had a Costa Rican Zebra once, I put him on the floor next to me whilst I cleaned his tank out. In a matter of minutes he was across the room and halfway up the wall.

BTW.....I was scared ******** of spiders, My father inlaw used to chase me around with dead house spiders. I justed decided one day that I wanted to get over my fear, so I let my mates pet spider walk across my hands. My liking of them grew from that encounter. My dog whines and runs when he see's them, the big wuss.:rolleyes:

G

Lopez

Although that was an informative thread,of which I actually read every post (rare thing indeed). YOU spider people are bonkers!!!

Why would anyone want to fetch hairy biting 8 legged things into the house?

It's bad enough for me when I have to get a 1" spider OUT of the house!

Gimmie a big snarling dog anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom