So, you want to keep a pet tarantula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Kieran
city reptiles in belfast? if so, tis a great shop, spent many an hour there :D... great staff and very willing to help

Thats the one. The staff are great, especially the guy who commended me on my boots and was willing to give me a fiver off because I had cool boots :D
I'll probably take a trip down at the weekend to see what they have in stock.

Associate
Lopéz, I have managed to find a few pic's taken about two months ago. Here they are:

DSCN0341.JPG

Chilean Rose

DSCN0348.JPG

DSCN0350.JPG

DSCN0402.JPG

DSCN0645.JPG

4 pic's of the Goliath, its still a baby.

sorry if the images are a bit large, its the first time I have done this. If they turn out ok, I will take some more recent ones, that should be better no that I have learned to use the camera a bit better.

Last edited:
Associate
Last few pic's

dtgs.jpg

Indian Ornamental

blondifang1.jpg

The fangs of an adult Goliath, these can be upto 1 inch in size, and the spider grows to an average size of 12 inches.

curly.JPG

Curly Hair, which BTW is being held by my 13yr old daughter.

Again sorry if the pic's are a bit large. Can anyone tell me what size they should be? :confused:

Last edited:

Grumpy

G

Grumpy

Wow...+5 Informative!

I always wanted a tarantula when I was ickle, but I could never convince my mother somehow :)

Am seriously considering getting one when I get my own place after uni :)

Permabanned
Originally posted by Ex-RoNiN
They look kinda cute, I'm wondering if I shouldn't get one and take them for a walk to the Leeds meet up, I know that someone there might be less appreciative of said tarantulas though :D :D

:mad:

*edit* Me ex had 2 tarantulas! A 'chilli rose' is it? n a 'Curly hair' bliming eck they were awful! He had them in two non-premanent tanks at first he kepts putting the tanks near me n teasing the god damn things with chopsticks so they'd move n spread their legs! I have never screamed so much I don't think! EURGH!!! It was hideous I hadta go hide in his bedroom n shuc heavy objects infront of the door :(

Last edited:

Grumpy

G

Grumpy

Originally posted by Stand_By_Me_Girl
:mad:

*edit* Me ex had 2 tarantulas! A 'chilli rose' is it? n a 'Curly hair' bliming eck they were awful! He had them in two non-premanent tanks at first he kepts putting the tanks near me n teasing the god damn things with chopsticks so they'd move n spread their legs! I have never screamed so much I don't think! EURGH!!! It was hideous I hadta go hide in his bedroom n shuc heavy objects infront of the door :(

As traumatic as it must have been for both the poor lil spiders and you....LMAO :)..*ahem* sorry SBMG.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Kieran
hehe that place is my second home, what did the guy look like? i need to go soon for some rats or mice for the snake, if i see you there i'll give you a shout, thats if i dont become all shy :o

It was a while ago, the guy was bald. Can't really remember much about him tbh. I should call in Saturday or Sunday around lunchtime, maybe see you there.

Associate
I really fail to see what's scary about spiders. I allow ordinary ones to live freely in my home, they keep insects to a minimum, cause no hassle. Putting up with the occasional very careful eviction and relocation is a small price to pay for the use of a warm house and no predators. Got a couple of really big ones that regularly go for a bit of a walk round! I've never been scared of spiders, they are way too sweet.

I also never kill them.

Associate
Thanks Stumpy :) Its the first time I have posted pic's. For future reference what size are ideal for posting on a bb? Whats the best method of resizing them?:D

Soldato
I think this is one of the most fascinating threads I've yet seen here. Massive compliments to Mr Lopez, and also to all the other arachnophiles. :) I'm supposed to be filling in a job application, but instead have found myself reading this, following links etc.

Unfortunately, I don't think I could have one as a pet. I'm not arachnophobic - if I see a spider in my house [which is rare, sadly] I leave it to carry on helping me get rid of less-welcome insect visitors - but viewing these pictures set my primeval instinct klaxxons blaring.

That Indian Ornamental is beautiful, though - look at that abdomen and the undersides of the legs. Fantastic.

So yeah: respect due, and all that. :)

Man of Honour
OP
I usually post 800x600 max for nice pics, 640x480 for less detailed ones. :)

Is your Goliath a bit of a kicker Yaz? Nice bald spot she's got
there, though of course the hair will grow back after it's moulted.

Your Curly Hair looks far nicer than most I've seen - looks about the same size as my Chilean Rose.

*edit* Me ex had 2 tarantulas! A 'chilli rose' is it? n a 'Curly hair' bliming eck they were awful! He had them in two non-premanent tanks at first he kepts putting the tanks near me n teasing the god damn things with chopsticks so they'd move n spread their legs! I have never screamed so much I don't think! EURGH!!! It was hideous I hadta go hide in his bedroom n shuc heavy objects infront of the door
Now this is part of the problem with spider owners. While there isn't really anything wrong with provoking a spider with chopsticks etc (spiders aren't "intelligent" and will have forgotten the incident within a day or so), I feel it's down to spider owners to try and educate or calm those who are scared of them - not frighten them even more.
A friend of mine is massively afraid of the Tarantula - if he's over and asks me not to get the spider out then I won't. The same as you should never pushpeople into holding a spider if they don't want to. Ift just isn't fair onthem or the spider, which will almost certainly be killed in the event of an accident.

I always wanted a tarantula when I was ickle, but I could never convince my mother somehow
I wanted a pet spider fromthe age of about 9 or 10. However, my mother is one of the worst Arachnaphobes I have ever met - she is petrified of spiders and says she hates the "scuttling" of their skinny legs. I wanted a spider so bad I kept house spiders in tanks as a kid, with little success unfortunately.
Then one day we took a trip to a wildlife centre, and she convinced herself into holding a Chilean Rose. She said it wasn't like a "normal" spider, because it was chunky, slow moving, and heavy - more like a mouse than a "bug"
So after me having given up all hope she went out and got
me a Chile Rose spiderling for my 13th birthday. :)
She's still scared stiff of regular house spiders, but she'll happily handle the Rose due to it's calm nature and chunky build. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Associate
Brilliant thread Lopez, fascinating stuff. Before reading this I knew absolutely nothing about Tarantulas, now I still know almost nothing, but want to know more :) Never knew they could be so beautiful, that Indian Ornamental looks amazing. Are they quite rare?

Just out of interest, how many people are now considering buying a Tarantula from reading this thread? I'm definitely thinking about it.

Soldato
Am i the only person that gets freaked out by looking at these pics?! I'm usually good with spiders...small ones that is. The big ones give me the willies.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Kendo
Brilliant thread Lopez, fascinating stuff. Before reading this I knew absolutely nothing about Tarantulas, now I still know almost nothing, but want to know more :) Never knew they could be so beautiful, that Indian Ornamental looks amazing. Are they quite rare?

Just out of interest, how many people are now considering buying a Tarantula from reading this thread? I'm definitely thinking about it.
Since most popular breeds are now successfully bred in captivity, rarity isn't the issue it once was.
More colourful and large species will always command a higher price due to their appearance rather than actual rarity.

Many spiders, however, are still wild caught. Please try not to buy a wild-caught tarantula (many are, especially from mail-order places)
For a start it's age will be uncertain, it may be diseased, and you are fuelling the collection of further specemins which is what caused numbers of the Mexican Red Knee to dwindle so spectacularly in the 80's (they are now a protected species)

Your best bet is to get a captive bred juvenile, or if you want to chance it the cheapest option is a spiderling - many are no bigger than a 5 p piece and they can be fragile in the extreme.
My own spider was about as big as a pound coin when I got her. She's now slightly smaller than a compact disc when fully spread out. :)

In fact I've inspired myself in this thread - I'm going to do some research and see where I can obtain a juvenile Cobalt Blue. :)

Associate
Originally posted by Lopéz
In fact I've inspired myself in this thread - I'm going to do some research and see where I can obtain a juvenile Cobalt Blue. :)

Hehe, can't wait to see the pics.

Cheers again for the info, fascinating stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom