Soggy library book dilemma

Associate
easy solution my friend; Take any old book from within your house, take it down the library and hand it to them saying,
"Here i am returning Andy Mcnab - Aggressor", then just when they're about to say,
"Wait a minute this isn't...", you come in with,
"Look into the Eyes, the Eyes, Don't Look Around the Eyes" etc, while performing hypnotic hand gestures in front of their face. Then leg it.

No?
Ok just own up and pay the few quid to replace it.
:cool:

Soldato
kitten_caboodle said:
actually if you buy the book most libraries won't accept it, because it has to go through the ridiculous red tape type thing and if it comes into the system as a gift.

But its not a gift, he is just replacing what he broke*, anyway even if the stupid red tape thing does count it as such, how is anyone going to know that it happened anyway

Surely by the same logic, paying for the broken book would consitute a monetary gift

Soldato
How about locking the book in a bank vault, giving the bank instructions that your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson hands the book back to the library. You will be in the papers in 500 years for having the biggest library fine ever.

Soldato
fatiain said:
How about locking the book in a bank vault, giving the bank instructions that your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson hands the book back to the library. You will be in the papers in 500 years for having the biggest library fine ever.

Give this man a medal :D

Soldato
fatiain said:

iirc (sad that I know this) theres an upper limit on the fines they give you.

guy I was at school with returned a book 4 years late, it wasn't a big fine

Soldato
fatiain said:
No no no, that's far too simple. Hide the book in a remote cave, then give a letter to a Courier company, telling them to give it to a kid, who you just happen to know will be standing in a certain location in 70 years time, and get the kid to return it. He'll then go and meet the you of 70 years time, where you'll make a time machine out of a crap, but iconic, sports car, then the kid can go back in time to return the book on time.

note: This may require 1.21 gigawatts.

Soldato
Adam_151 said:
But its not a gift, he is just replacing what he broke*, anyway even if the stupid red tape thing does count it as such, how is anyone going to know that it happened anyway

Surely by the same logic, paying for the broken book would consitute a monetary gift

don't tell me, tell the council. The fact is, by following 'procedure' they have a paper trail of where the replacement book came from. If they don't have that, then it appears in the system as a gift (or so I was told).

Fact is, many libraries will not accept books from you, as someone said on p1 who actually worked in one. I also said i was pretty sure they wouldn't care tbh and i wouldn't bother trying to replace it unless they asked him to.

Soldato
Why don't you try and walk into the library, casually stroll up to the counter and ask purely hypothetically (say this is in a suspicious tone) what would happen if you returned a damaged book. Ask what the exact fine would be for returning, say Andy McNab's hardbook version of "Aggressor," (again, purely hypothetically).

If the response sounds reasonable to you, whip said book out of your pocket and pay the fine. If, on the other hand, the fine is astronomical, make a swift exit (making a casual "Lets hope that doesn't happen, then" remark) and execute Plan B :)

Permabanned
OP
fatiain said:

Brilliant :)

Anyway. Called our library just now, and yup, there will be a fine ... they cant comment on how much though at this time. and also they (who is they?) will calculate the books worth from age and times it was borrowed ... 8 times borrowed from the ticket number, but I'm offering them an exact new Brand New replacement? Its crazy.

But yup, They wont accept an exact similar substitute bought from me from a cheaper source, they have to go through the proper more expensive channels <----- this kinda outdated stuff is what drags down our once great country IMHO.

Oh well, fun thread, average book, usual red tape nonsense :cool:

Cheers.

Soldato
kitten_caboodle said:
1.21 gigawatts!! I'm sorry. But the only power source capable of generating 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning.

or of course, a device known as 'Mr Fusion', which turns ordinary rubbish into power. Enough power to allow the time machine to travel in time.

Back
Top Bottom