Soggy library book dilemma

Soldato
Mr Bulbous said:
Brilliant :)

Anyway. Called our library just now, and yup, there will be a fine ... they cant comment on how much though at this time. and also they (who is they?) will calculate the books worth from age and times it was borrowed ... 8 times borrowed from the ticket number, but I'm offering them an exact new Brand New replacement? Its crazy.

But yup, They wont accept an exact similar substitute bought from me from a cheaper source, they have to go through the proper more expensive channels <----- this kinda outdated stuff is what drags down our once great country IMHO.

Oh well, fun thread, average book, usual red tape nonsense :cool:

Cheers.

It is stoopid. I used to get them loads of really cheap hardbacks which they used to love taking off me, but then they couldn't take them anymore. Red tape drives me mad :mad:

Associate
Smithy said:
Ok just own up and pay the few quid to replace it.
:cool:
That seems like the best thing to do. It'll also make you feel a damn sight better morally (assuming you have morals, if not, ignore.)

Associate
In this entire thread there has been one decent response.

A similar thing happened to me and I had to pay for its replacement. The price on the cover was about £20 and they charged me a fiver IIRC to account for wear and tear.

Soldato
ooh I have a good idea, go into the library, with a neatly concealed tub of water, go up to the counter and place the bucket on the floor, then tell the counter lady to look behind her, then place the book next to her elbow above the tub, she turns around and hey presto! she has knocked the book into the water, your off the hook! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Rich1988 said:
ooh I have a good idea, go into the library, with a neatly concealed tub of water, go up to the counter and place the bucket on the floor, then tell the counter lady to look behind her, then place the book next to her elbow above the tub, she turns around and hey presto! she has knocked the book into the water, your off the hook!

f t w!

Soldato
fatiain said:
How about locking the book in a bank vault, giving the bank instructions that your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson hands the book back to the library. You will be in the papers in 500 years for having the biggest library fine ever.

Sounds like Dave Lister and NorWeb to me!!

I'd be inclined to by a replacement from amazon and swap over the stickers etc from inside the front cover (do they still stamp the date on a bit of paper? I've only ever used a library to take a book out once and it was a fair few years ago). Just don't tell them it's a replacement and nobody should ever know.

Make sure it's the same edition though or the barcode will be different and their system won't accept it when they scan it back in (assuming it's all computerised now!)

Back
Top Bottom