1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sold car....unhappy buyer....advice?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Von Luck, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Von Luck

Wise Guy

This is why I hate buying and selling cars :(

Advertised 12 year old Nissan Micra on Ebay, loads of interest (80+ watchers, 15+ bidders), went for £890 to a buyer who hadn't seen it.

Can was described accurately, with the one fault (rear heated screen not working) mentioned.

Buyer collected, paid cash and left forgetting to sign the V5. I contacted them to arrange for it to be signed (have subsequently sent into DVLA with covering letter anyway because of the next bit), for buyer to respond that they are disappointed with the car as the gearbox whines and they feel it doesn't accurately meet the description that other than the screen "everything else works perfectly".

They've taken it to a garage who have said the gearbox is knackered and he wants to return the car for a refund. He was quoted £450 to have a recon gearbox installed.

From my perspective the car was advertised in good faith, the gearbox worked perfectly (changes smoothly, no judder, no skipping out of gear) and the car was as noisy as it ever had been.

Buyer has yet to leave Ebay feedback, however I'm not massively bothered about losing my 100% positive, although it will be pain.

I've told the buyer that I'm not willing to take the car back, but I don't want to appear to be some scamming git so am considering asking him to supply an engineers report confirming that there's an issue together with a quotation for the work (which I will validate with my own garage) and offer to pay half.

I'm a nice bloke and don't want to be an a-hole, but am I being too nice and should I tell him to poke it? :confused: The buyer also seemed completely genuine and not a scammer in any way.

Car selling sucks! :(

2. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

What did you use eBay for? No better way to over-empower the buyer. Ask for 2 written quotes from different garages.

3. Fr0dders

Caporegime

he paid cash and afaik paypal wont get involved with car sales

tell him to **** off and let him leave negative feedback. Its the worst he can do as far as im aware. Anybody know any better ?

certainly outside of ebay its sold as seen. Your not a trader and he has no right to ask for a refund. He responded to a classified add and paid cash. Who cares if he doesnt think its fit for purpose, he should have checked that when he test drove it.

afaik ebay is no different to this.

4. MikeHiow

Banned

As a private individual selling a car, and no reputation to maintain, I'd tell him to get ****ed personally.

If you claim the gearbox left as its always been it could just be a garage trying to take advantage of the new buyer.

5. mattyprice4004

Soldato

I say it's a load of rubbish, what could be excessive whine to one person could be silent to another.

Tell him to GTFO if the car does actually work OK, it is a sub-£1k car afterall!

6. Von Luck

Wise Guy

Used Ebay as a cheap/easy way to sell - cheaper than autotrader and bigger audience than a local paper. Got more than double what WeBuyAnyCar.com quoted.

7. GT3

Sgarrista

In future get the buyer to sign a sold as seen notice and keep for your records to stop this from happening again.

But I still wouldn't give him anything. Say you will take the car back pending an examination on condition. (i.e its the same as when you sold it) Then simply sell the car on ebay again, even if it hits less money you will still have lost less than paying for his supposed gearbox issue.

8. Housey

Man of Honour

Did he not test drive the car?

9. ganesh

Wise Guy

Tell him to bugger off, if he was that bothered he'd have test driven the car before he won the auction, that's the risk he took.

10. Burned_Alive

Capodecina

The gearboxs works perfectly doesnt it? As described...

11. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

If I was the buyer and this sort of thing happened, I'd be blaming myself for not testing enough. I would assume I'd have to pay for it, as it's not a trade sale.

As a seller, he inspected the car etc and was obviously happy enough to pay. It's out of your hands.

12. Von Luck

Wise Guy

Nope, didn't test drive it (I know, I was incredulous). Turned up, walked round it, gave me the cash, left. Gearbox has always worked perfectly - we've had the car for 12 years (really!).

Seems like the 'bugger off' vote is winning this one, time to man up :/

13. Fr0dders

Caporegime

i think the key thing to point out is if you buy an item over ebay - say a keyboard and its not as described the buyer can file a dispute, and paypal can take the money from you to refund the purchaser if they side with the buyer.

This process doesnt happen with car sales afaik. Theres a bit somewhere saying that ebay and paypals usual complaints procedure doesnt apply. Just trying to find a link now to confirm for you.

14. Von Luck

Wise Guy

Thanks but doesn't apply in this case - Paypal wasn't used, was cash in hand. (Unless you mean that Paypal can blag my money when not used for a transaction, eek! :eek:)

15. ZG002

Capodecina

You don't win on ebay to test drive the car! You test drive the car before you bid

Tell him where to get tbh!

16. Von Luck

Wise Guy

Exactly - I had a couple of other people test drive and then bid, none of whom mentioned gearbox noise. It certainly wasn't a quiet car, but what do people expect from a 12 year base model Micra?

17. Fr0dders

Caporegime

presumably you have your paypal account registered with ebay which in turn is registered with your bank account

i know my ebay fees just come straight out of my bank

But they wont do a paypal chargeback even if he did pay via paypal as they dont get involved in motors sales afaik.

But as you rightly say, since he paid cash theres no actual proof of how much he paid, so they doubly wont get involved.

18. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Sold as seen. If he gets ****ty just report the car stolen if the dumbass forgot to sign the papers

19. dean_ham

Hitman

Bad luck on him not test driving the car before the auction ended. Anyway even if he test drove after the auction and wasnt happy with the noise of the gearbox, its still tough luck he won the auction... should have come and test drove it before the auction.

Tell him to Foff and there was nothing wrong with the gearbox when it left your hands.

Describe this person who bought this car off you... How long after did you sell the car when he complain about the car

20. Kitchster_uk

Soldato

Have driven a T plate micra not so long back and the gearbox was...interesting - nothing wrong per se, it's just a little sloppy compared to other cars. Tell him, nicely, to jog on.