Sold car....unhappy buyer....advice?

Soldato
It's a cheap old second hand car. Did you claim that car was brand new with no faults at all?

If not, then you have nothing to worry about. No need to be rude, just tell him in a polite fashion to jog on :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You're not a proper bayer until you have some Negative feedback so don't worry about that end.
I have sold Untold motors over the years but one that springs to mind is a Golf I sold, The car had been stood for months, I got it going & sold it on Telling the new owner to take it easy for a bit, He rang me when he got home saying the Oil light was on etc, He had Thrashed it to death for sure.
I rang around & located another engine for him & told him to come pick it up, Job done. His quotes were over a Grand, I paid 75 quid for the Lump & turned him onto a bloke who did the job for 100 quid. Even after the hassle & the work it was still cheaper than off a forecourt & he ended up with a low mileage Golf that he kept for Years after.
Because of the way I reacted me & the Buyer got on really well & I ended up selling his Sister/Girlfriend & a few mates motors over the years. (Shame his sister weren't a fitty though:()

If I was you I'd locate a cheap gearbox & tell him to come pick it up, May cost you a few quid but you'll sleep better at nights. :cool:

Soldato
The car dealer's typical response in this situation: Oh, they all do that Sir.

I suggest the buyer hasn't taken it to a garage at all! Probably been told that he paid over the odds for the car and wants to get some of 'his' money back.

Soldato
Highlight the fact to him that had he actually bothered to testdrive the car, he might have noticed that the noise coming from an otherwise perfectly functional gearbox wasn't to his taste, and walked away then. However, as he chose to pay cash in hand, for car being sold as seen, suggest that he be on his merryway and go forth and fornicate himself with a rusty iron stake.

Associate
On the one hand; To buy a car on ebay without first viewing it or taking it for a test drive is asking for trouble. This is in part owing to the nature of ebay, that is; "you bid to buy, not to view".

On the other hand; Real life isn't like ebay. And I don't believe people should apply the flippant attitude you can get away with using most of the time on ebay to these sort of situations. If only in the name of decency, you should endeavour to resolve this in the best way you know, which is more often than not the way you feel most comfortable with.

I would adopt malc30's attitude in this case, not the "tough ****" attitude advised by many.

Soldato
I would adopt malc30's attitude in this case, not the "tough ****" attitude advised by many.

Good for you then, you can sleep better at night.

For the sensible person, tell him you can't help and there is nothing more you can and will do.

Simples

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Good for you then, you can sleep better at night.

For the sensible person, tell him you can't help and there is nothing more you can and will do.

Simples

Indeed, private sales are just that - private. The seller has no obligation to accept any form of "returns" or comeback. The buyer should have bought a car from a car dealer if this was a concern.

Soldato
A lack of obligation is not justification for taking any course of action, whichever way the OP decides to deal with this.

It is the perfect and most logical justification in the case of private car sales.

If you want to help people out like this then you might as well eat your money, throw it off a tall building, or just wire it over to a charity for the lulz.

When I bought my Teg it had the dreaded gearbox crunch. I certainly didn't whine like a little ***** (dog;)) and even got the owner in the multiple test drives to go up through all the gears etc etc. The buyer in this case needs to chalk one up to experience and get on with his life, this is the way of private car sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a cheap car, sold as seen that the buyer didn't even bother to test drive. It's not like you have tried to hide something like having an exhaust held on only by string or something stupid and dangerous like that is it? You can't expect to buy a car for £900 off 'some bloke' and expect any come back from it. Old cars are cheap because there is always a repair around the corner.

Associate
It is the perfect and most logical justification in the case of private car sales.

It is far from logical. It is the very nature of the illogical tit-for-tat game of private car sales that makes it far from perfect also.

If you want to help people out like this then you might as well eat your money, throw it off a tall building, or just wire it over to a charity for the lulz.

This is a choice of attitude. You have chosen to believe that you are throwing your money away if you were to help someone in this situation.

malc30 made a choice of attitude. It paid off when the reputation he established as being an honest person led him to further car sales through contacts of the initial buyer.

Wow, it's almost as if one is rewarded for their good deeds.

Soldato
malc30 made a choice of attitude. It paid off when the reputation he established as being an honest person led him to further car sales through contacts of the initial buyer.

Wow, it's almost as if one is rewarded for their good deeds.

And malc is the only sample in your wide ranging sample size of 1 for this point and subsequent pointing out that a good deed will lead to something positive.

What a narrow way to look at it as this is clearly a one off.

Associate
-Ad- said:
And malc is the only sample in your wide ranging sample size of 1 for this point and subsequent pointing out that a good deed will lead to something positive.

What a narrow way to look at it as this is clearly a one off.
I used malc's example because it was directly related to this thread and because he himself posted it in this thread, not because he is an exclusive example.

I have more if you want them. How many examples do I need to post before it no longer becomes "a narrow way to look at it"?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Smithy, when you sell a house, if the boiler blows up a month later would you replace it for the new owners?

This is just not how private sales work! He doesnt need to do anything about it and should in no way be feel to be made bad about it.

Back
Top Bottom