Sold Vehicle a week later turbo issues

Soldato
OP
vw campervan, remapp was talked about when he bought it
no issues known, so much so did a 150 mile round trip the day before it was sold

gutted but i am sure if i had bought it from him and it then broke down i would be told to do one
just feel bad but it could easily have happened to me before it was sold

if i had known the turbo was an issue i would have put it right before sale

Associate
If you truly knew there were no issues when you sold it then it’s just an unfortunate situation.

This happened when I sold my last car. The chap sent me a video of the coolant tank boiling over on his drive, but it was spot on when I sold it.

I felt bad for sure, and like yourself, thought about offering to help pay for a repair. Then I thought that it’s not my problem and left it at that.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Something is iffy there. If he's mentioned a remap it's highly likely he's had it done with the bodykit etc.

Soldato
OP
so, guys been on the phone to me this morning and hes upset so much so i can hear it in his voice, he cannot afford to get the van repaired
hes asking for a contribution towards it and i feel so much for him i dont know what to do

also hes a friend of a friend so whist i probably wont see him again but hes not a unknown quantity

waiting for the garage to call me back so i can find out whats happened to it from them

so i like to think i am a reasonable person and i am tempted to help out

what would you do? bearing in mind hes not messed about with the engine and turbo at all
and were talking 25k purchase price

Caporegime
A very slippery slope to go down. If you help now does he then call in six months time looking for help with the MOT? Servicing? If you genuinely want to help the guy, only speak to the garage and make sure it’s not just his mate who owns a lift. Then if you agree, pay the garage directly but I most certainly wouldn’t go above paying half, ideally less.

Soldato
I assume he can't drive it to a garage you already know and trust ?
it's difficult to avoid engaging too much, whilst trying to get the facts - have them email some photos.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
so, guys been on the phone to me this morning and hes upset so much so i can hear it in his voice, he cannot afford to get the van repaired
hes asking for a contribution towards it and i feel so much for him i dont know what to do

also hes a friend of a friend so whist i probably wont see him again but hes not a unknown quantity

waiting for the garage to call me back so i can find out whats happened to it from them

so i like to think i am a reasonable person and i am tempted to help out

what would you do? bearing in mind hes not messed about with the engine and turbo at all
and were talking 25k purchase price
This really isn’t your problem. As posted above, if he’s just spent £25k on a van and splashed out on a body kit, he can afford the repairs. Stay out of it.

I would do no more than trying to help him find a decent place to fix that won't rip him off. He can't be that skint if he's just a new van and body kit surely....
And then what happens if that garage messes it up or charges more due to unforeseen issues? I would want nothing to do with it!

Soldato
OP, you need to take a step back from this. I can see from the tone of your posts you're getting sucked in. You sold the vehicle with no known faults, 2 weeks later the engine has allegedly gone bang.

You have absolutely no idea why the engine has gone bang and it is a) very unusual for engines to go bang without some negligence from the owner and b) for them to go so catastrophically. He could have done a service on the vehicle and forgotten to put oil in for all you know. Or not tightened the sump plug. Or put the wrong oil in. Or remapped it and have been ragging the crap out of it.

It's very sad that it's happened, but you're taking the word of someone who is £5000 down and if that person knows that all they have to do is tell a small lie to get themselves out of a tight space and save themselves thousands of pounds, they damn well will. Do not get involved.

Soldato
Its an awful situation to be in.

But i agree with everyone else, its not your problem. I would really want to know more about what is actually wrong with it. I'd also wanna look at it myself. Go to the garage maybe and take a look.

Did you really sell it for 25k ?

Caporegime
Its an awful situation to be in.

But i agree with everyone else, its not your problem. I would really want to know more about what is actually wrong with it. I'd also wanna look at it myself. Go to the garage maybe and take a look.

Did you really sell it for 25k ?
VW Transporters keep their value really well, especially if the work has already been done. £25k isn’t unheard of for a recently modified, relatively new one.

Soldato
If you give him anything at all, as mentioned before, you're lining yourself up to look like you knew it was ****ed and then if he really decides he can't afford it and wants to push you for the entire cost through court or something, you've made life difficult for yourself.

It's not your problem, don't complicate things, it's a crap situation but if he wanted a van with a warranty because he can't afford repairs (after spending his disposable cash on a bodykit) he should have gone to a dealership and bought one.

Soldato
Stop being such a melt!

What's your phone number, maybe I'll give you a call and tell you how a few of my cars need a few bits doing, but I've spent all my money this month so can you send me some?

Please grow a backbone and cease contact, it's not your problem anymore. Don't speak to the garage about the car, if they do call tell them it has nothing to do with you and to speak to the owner. Then don't speak to him either, it's really that simple and nothing to do with you anymore.

Back
Top Bottom